Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/wi...-with-baldurs-gate-3-studio-larians-help

Or we have to wait for them to become completely insolvent and then somebody will get it in a fire sale.

Personally, I just want the fucking mod tools we were promised - Bg3 as a Multiplayer module is pretty bad given that 98% of Multiplayer games are never completed and a full 80% never make it past Act 1. Although that's just a sample size from my own Guild and the games I have played through Larian Discord, I bet Larian has better data on this.

If we had some smaller 20 hour or less Modules to work with it would be much better for multiplayer. I don't see Larian making those but if we had some solid mod making tools it could be done by the VAST community.

Such a waste of an incredible Multiplayer D&D engine. People get excited about multiplayer, come to Larian and then give up after a few games.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Eh. I'm not making not excuses for Hasbro - the attempt to kill off other rulesets, the stupid changes to one DnD - but I would rather have the current WotC team working on DnD that Larian.

While it is true that Larian did the right thing by hiring some real DnD and Faerun fans - chapter 2 was spot on - it's equally clear that the senior management doesn't really get Faerun. See chapter 3 with its factories, grenades, hellfire surfaces and the gods represented as jerks.

Let Larian make DOS3 with its horrible gods, surfaces battles, exploding barrels and bomb in every pocket. It's what they want to do.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Eh. I'm not making not excuses for Hasbro - the attempt to kill off other rulesets, the stupid changes to one DnD - but I would rather have the current WotC team working on DnD that Larian.

While it is true that Larian did the right thing by hiring some real DnD and Faerun fans - chapter 2 was spot on - it's equally clear that the senior management doesn't really get Faerun. See chapter 3 with its factories, grenades, hellfire surfaces and the gods represented as jerks.

Let Larian make DOS3 with its horrible gods, surfaces battles, exploding barrels and bomb in every pocket. It's what they want to do.

The (unfounded) rumor was about the sale of the license to Dungeons and Dragons, not the IP. If the rumor were true, Larian or Tencent or whoever wouldn’t be building the D&D ruleset, they would just have the license to make D&D games in perpetuity.

An analogy is that Sony has the license to make Spider-Man movies and games, but they don’t own Spider-Man. They don’t make Spider-Man comics.

Last edited by Warlocke; 03/02/24 02:14 AM.
veteran
veteran
Interesting, thanks for the clarification.

Having only skimmed the article one suspects that Tenecent was hoping the rumor would boost their stock price for a time. Weird.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

Right on! Completely agree.

As much as I hate WotC, having Tencent (and Larian) own the IP would've been way worse.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
As much as I hate WotC, having Tencent (and Larian) own the IP would've been way worse.

Is there anything you do like?

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
The way everyone (Hasbro and Larian) frantically went on denial makes me thing something is going on there after all and someone just rolled 1 on communication.

If Larian really would own a license for making D&D games, not investing in proper modding tools would be a crime. But it would also mean, BG4 and NWN3 will come at some point.

As for franchise as a hole, let them sell it to someone. It can''t be much worse, can it? Everything after 3.5 is a joke to me.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Cahir
The way everyone (Hasbro and Larian) frantically went on denial makes me thing something is going on there
By the way WotC worded their denial of this rumor, it sounds like there's no "IP sales in progress" but they are probably talking with Tencent to produce some D&D licensed games.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
Um, 3.5 was a joke already. It really was just a money grab. Nothing fundamental was changed, nothing was really improved.

But 5.0 is pretty fine overall. They made spellcasters start much stronger, but get less of a power curve, while warriors have been made more interesting. Everyone gets interesting special abilities. A Rogue is a real powerhouse in combat now. Bards are an almost fullblown class. Etc.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard