Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 31 of 49 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 48 49
Originally Posted by Ametris
Originally Posted by Zayir
I don't understand why rewrites are necessary after release, especially when 80%, the majority, are already playing the spawn route and only 20% the ascended.

I'm curious what the actual percentage is, not just a number from a YT poll. It seems like there's quite a lot of people who actually ascended him, seeing how many new posters showed up in here after patch 6.

Yes, would be interesting. Of course, YouTube polls don't say that much because anyone who doesn't play the Astarion romance or game can vote there.

“I would, thank God, watch the universe perish without shedding a tear.”
journeyman
journeyman
And also the fact that Cazador is a High Elf so he will reincarnate one day and remember what happened and might even plot revenge against Astarion and Tav if they still live.

I could be wrong, but it seems that Kasador can't be reborn. High elves can, of course, but only if they weren't vampires. So in Kasador's case, it's a one-time cycle of life.
But it would be an interesting scenario.)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by illeaillas-san
In the case of UAstarion, I still wouldn’t forget about Mephistopheles, these souls were actually promised to him, and now they are free or killed.
If I were him, I wouldn’t just leave it like that cool

By the way, yes. And with UAstarion's soul there will be nothing particularly good either - the souls of vampires fall into the Astral Sea, the gods don't care about them. In case of the death of the Ascended Astarion (well, it's much easier for him to avoid this death, and he can live a very, very long time, perhaps forever), even if he gets to Mephistopheles, I don't see it as something so terrible - it's much more profitable for the archdevil to make a powerful vampire work for himself for a while, and then Astarion can pay off and return to Faerûn again, than to treat him the same way as with weak and useless souls.

I don't understand why rewrites are necessary after release, especially when 80%, the majority, are already playing the spawn route and only 20% the ascended. If spawn's ending will be rewritten to get an even better ending, a cure of vampirism, it will make the ascended route less attractive, also when the ascended route will be rewritten to get worse, (patch 6) then 99 % will choose the spawn (or don't play the end) and 1% or less ascended - until those 1 % get triggered. They can then simply take out the route, instead of putting money into it and the UA church can be happy and spend their time on other things.

The cure doesn't seem to me to fit the idea of "drama" that the game has, it's unlikely to be added. Now that I've played a lot with Astarion, watched his different scenes, including from EA, I'm sure Ascension is much more desirable to him than just the cure for vampirism. It makes him a happier person. Still, a large portion of AA fans will continue to ascend him, some portion who strongly disliked killing spawns in cages but couldn't stand "spawn forever" and the horrible ending might change their minds. Or, alternatively, for once pass so, for interest, since it became more acceptable to pass, but then ascend again. But making the Path of Ascension impassable is much more reliable, so they can just throw the dissenters out of the game and work only with the audience that is loyal and accepts all the "dramatic ideas". But games don't do that, it would be a "step towards the sunset" of the studio. Already, many loyal players who were involved in EA, who were with Larian from the beginning, have left and abandoned the game. There were posts from such people in the threads after patch 6, they never came back or posted anything on the forum again.

Aeterna Amantes. Lovers forever, until the world falls down.

My Love Is Cancelled.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Mirmi
And also the fact that Cazador is a High Elf so he will reincarnate one day and remember what happened and might even plot revenge against Astarion and Tav if they still live.

I could be wrong, but it seems that Kasador can't be reborn. High elves can, of course, but only if they weren't vampires. So in Kasador's case, it's a one-time cycle of life.
But it would be an interesting scenario.)

I'm not sure either, I don't know the lore well enough. Vampirism might indeed affect the reincarnation.

J
J
I've seen a few polls and the ratios are always similar- The lowest I saw was like 10-15% (Maybe lower?) AA, and 25% "Likes/does both routes".
It'd probably depend where you take the poll, for example if you took it here I imagine the ratios would be pretty different. In order to get an actual idea of the real ratio Larian would have to unveil that. You could get a somewhat good idea in a place where both communities coexist, but both are pretty segregated, I think.

Cazador (and Astarion, or any of the other vampires? probably?) can't be reborn because they're cut off from that cycle if they're deemed "immoral" or in this case "undead" since they're pretty hated by almost all deities. I'm p sure Astarion must have been cut off way before he died, but Astarion's elvishness isn't even taken into consideration in the game, so I doubt it was something that was given much thought.
I do wonder if a deity would be willing to forgive vampire spawn who had no choice when being turned and haven't committed any crimes (say, imagine a Sebastian that behaves real well after being freed) but we kind of saw some of that with Jander Sunstar, and it didn't go great. The deities are ruthless towards the undead, no matter what (evidently excluding some of them, but they're the goofy evil kind). It's a bit upsetting. Well, the entire concept of afterlife in the forgotten realms is upsetting.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, would be interesting. Of course, YouTube polls don't say that much because anyone who doesn't play the Astarion romance or game can vote there.

As well as many of those who play, didn't participate in this poll (I missed it myself and didn't participate). Of the roleplayers I know IRL - two ascend (but both are guys, romance doesn't concern them), one girl took offense to the kneeling even earlier, wanted to play without romance, but ended up getting bored and has been playing another game for a while now. It's a very small sample, of course, but it shows that the obligatory kneeling scene was a barrier for some players before. And now... It's already more than just some "psychological barrier", it's not suitable for anyone at all.

My Love Is Cancelled.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by jinetemoranco
I do wonder if a deity would be willing to forgive vampire spawn who had no choice when being turned and haven't committed any crimes (say, imagine a Sebastian that behaves real well after being freed) but we kind of saw some of that with Jander Sunstar, and it didn't go great. The deities are ruthless towards the undead, no matter what (evidently excluding some of them, but they're the goofy evil kind). It's a bit upsetting. Well, the entire concept of afterlife in the forgotten realms is upsetting.
Well, according to Astarion, he made the choice himself. Of course there was a choice: bleed to death in a ditch, or become a vampire. He chose the second, and of course he didn’t know that Cazador would be an asshole. But nevertheless, Astarion himself went for it.

Originally Posted by Marielle

As well as many of those who play, didn't participate in this poll (I missed it myself and didn't participate). Of the roleplayers I know IRL - two ascend (but both are guys, romance doesn't concern them), one girl took offense to the kneeling even earlier, wanted to play without romance, but ended up getting bored and has been playing another game for a while now. It's a very small sample, of course, but it shows that the obligatory kneeling scene was a barrier for some players before. And now... It's already more than just some "psychological barrier", it's not suitable for anyone at all.

Funny thing. The kneeling scene was a great scene for my Tav, especially after he found out about Astarion's kink in act 1! They had an intimate scene there.
So for me it was more of a barrier in the spawn route that Astarion has lost all his interesting kinks and dominance he had since the beginning.

Yes, the kneeling scene and patch 6 scenes cannot be compared, because the first one is consensual, the second one is non-consensual and disturbing for a lot of people.

J
J
Well, according to Astarion, he made the choice himself.

That's why I didn't use Astarion as an example :P

enthusiast
enthusiast
I've seen a few polls and the ratios are always similar- The lowest I saw was like 10-15% (Maybe lower?) AA, and 25% "Likes/does both routes".
It'd probably depend where you take the poll, for example if you took it here I imagine the ratios would be pretty different. In order to get an actual idea of the real ratio Larian would have to unveil that. You could get a somewhat good idea in a place where both communities coexist, but both are pretty segregated, I think.

It also depends on the country. It depends on the mentality in different countries, including the comfort of living, the general level of security. I read that AA is more often ascended in less prosperous countries (maybe in them people value real things, including strength and security, more than ideas of "goodness", I don't know), but it was the opinion of one author without statistical data and confirmations. But of course, the real ratio can only be known by Larian themselves.

No, they won't. But not because they will judge him, but simply because they will not pay attention. Astarion said "I prayed to them all, no one heard". According to DnD lore, all vampire souls go straight to the Astral Sea, not to the fields of Kelemvor.

My Love Is Cancelled.
J
J
It also depends on the country. It depends on the mentality in different countries, including the comfort of living, the general level of security. I read that AA is more often ascended in less prosperous countries (maybe in them people value real things, including strength and security, more than ideas of "goodness", I don't know), but it was the opinion of one author without statistical data and confirmations. But of course, the real ratio can only be known by Larian themselves.

What I've very anecdotically noted is that it seems a prominent amount of AA fans are from Russia. He seems much more popular there.

journeyman
journeyman
Well, according to Astarion, he made the choice himself.

That's why I didn't use Astarion as an example :P
Exactly:)

What I've very anecdotically noted is that it seems a prominent amount of AA fans are from Russia. He seems much more popular there.

It could seem so, but I am not sure, in general there are a lot of russian people liking Astarion, whether he is a spawn or ascended. So I wouldn't consider it true without a proof.

journeyman
journeyman
Of the seven runs in the game, I've only done the first one with Spawn. And right those who say that once you give AA a chance, and to the route of Spawn will not return. That's how it worked out for me. And I still promise to give Gale and his focus a chance, but Astarion is just too adorable.

I didn't have much trouble with the kneeling in the conversion scene. Saw it as an act of trust (which on the route for Astarion is important), a loyalty test from AA. (But everyone has different points of view, and for some this is unacceptable).
It's especially funny when Tav didn't grovel to anyone (not a goblin's; not Vlaakit, she can be waved my hand ; intimidated Abdirak's). And then, Astarion with the ultimatum and knee bowing. He must have been beyond proud.)))

The new lap kiss bothers me now because it was a individuality for the scene of the address. But now doing it as a simple kiss-defeats uniquenesses the conversion scene.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Funny thing. The kneeling scene was a great scene for my Tav, especially after he found out about Astarion's kink in act 1! They had an intimate scene there.
So for me it was more of a barrier in the spawn route that Astarion has lost all his interesting kinks and dominance he had since the beginning.

Yes, the kneeling scene and patch 6 scenes cannot be compared, because the first one is consensual, the second one is non-consensual and disturbing for a lot of people.

I was stunned the first time, to be honest! smile I took the scene with Abdirak as a kind of challenge, as a test for "coolness", especially since Tav going through Intimidation looks really cool in this scene. Kind of like the "battle of the wet towels" of the ancient Vikings, when warriors in the cold naked, wrapped in wet cloths, and whoever lasts longer is clearly not a weakling. I wanted to show that my Tav was not a weakling in front of Astarion (it was right after our first night), and I didn't even immediately realize what was meant, I just agreed because he said: "And no arguments!". And then I had to prove that Tav wasn't weak...

I even took offense at Astarion for his cold stare during the conversation with SH in this scene, like, "Oh you, Astarion, I'd tear anyone's hands off for you and shove them in a bad place, who would dare to touch you, but you...". No sympathy, "toxic elf ass" as LiryFire wrote . smile But then he said: "I missed you"... Especially back then, the relationship on his part wasn't that close yet, and after all he'd been through, I figured it was worth it for Tav to experience a small part of it herself.

Same with the goblin, I made the goblin kiss Tav's boot myself, Astarion approved, it sure looked like a test of leadership skills. So the dominance took me somewhat by surprise, but he became so confident and content that I ended up liking it a lot.

And in the spawn's path he loses all his playfulness, that's what cut me right off. I didn't get the dominance part at first, it's interesting how these scenes can be perceived in different ways! smile

My Love Is Cancelled.
E
E
I think both choices are good.

They're going to kill anyway, for food. What fraction of the 7,000 will agree to go to the Underdark? Obviously less, the rest will just scatter. In that case you doom those ordinary people who will be their victims, as well as those who will weep for those killed. It's a moral dilemma.

The fact is that you don't know what they would do. Some people decide to not ascend Astarion and kill all the spawns for the reasons you say. They won't condemn the souls but they would definitely kill them. Others decide that they are in the same position as Astarion when you meet them and to give them the chance. To assume that they would easily go on killing other citizens when they used to be citizens too (not martial training) and are weak after centuries of confinement, well, is to give them too much credit. It is more likely that the ones who chose to go to the surface are killed by the gur (who actively hunt them) and the guards, who are tough. So sure, it is a moral dilemma about free will and about giving chances and opportunities to people. But at the point you find them, they are innocent because they haven't been feeding at all. They haven't killed or done anything but fall for handsome spawns like Astarions (much like our characters XD). Our character could have been one of them.

But for those Tavs for whom Astarion is not one of the 7000 spawn, but the most important person in their lives, the situation is clearly seen differently. And why is power always presented as the main motivator? It doesn't look like Gortash and Karlach at all, Tav is helping the man he loves to heal from spawn disability, hunger, problems with sunlight and to become truly free, if it was only about some "power", the issue would be quite different.

Sure, our characters care about Astarion. That is why you help him kill Cazador. But once Cazador is dead, Astarion is already free, spawn or ascended. Ascension gives him power but he is already free as in having free will and the ability to choose his own future/path. The ascension is "an extra". And I've played both paths, so no judgment on wanting him to be happy. But yes, when Astarion sacrifices 6999 souls (I won't count Cazador's souls since I think he is the one who clearly deserves it XD), he is doing what Gortash did. You do it to make Astarion happy and not for power? Ok, but that doesn't change that those souls weren't yours and that you are selling them to get something you want. You are selling others. Like Gortash. Can compassionate people do evil things and still be compassionate? Maybe, but their intentions won't make what they have done less evil. That is why we have the saying "The path to hell is paved with good intentions". In this case literally. Plus, a 7000 pages contract with Mephistopheles might have lots of clauses that your character and Astarion might not be aware of. Learn from Wyll: signing a contract with a devil without knowing the details is a bad idea.

Well, ok, Tav is selfish, Tav is amoral, Tav only loves Astarion and themselves, Tav can balance this somewhat later by saving Baldur. Tav doesn't care about these spawns, Astarion comes first, Astarion's happiness is the main quest. Tav won't save Baldur if Astarion is unhappy, for Tav this Baldur might as well burn itself all down if Astarion has to suffer and be "redeemed". But what does that have to do with the domestic violence these kissing scenes show us?

I don't know where this comes from. I've already said in other posts that I also dislike the kisses animations and that even if DS is not my kink, I'm all for people being able to enjoy it. Also, it should be the player who chooses how to react to the domination (for me that includes saying that you are not into it as much as saying that you like it). Having said that, to downplay the choice about the ritual by saying that not ascending Astarion makes no sense or that non ascended Astarion is going to be unhappy for ever or that it is cruel to not ascend him, also cheapens the choice to do it. And if you pick the "non ascended", sure, it is true that he won't be able to see the sun (you could try to search for a way in an open ending that is meant to give some hope). Or maybe that he needs to "reclaim the night", which is a way to say that he is going to make his own choices from now on and try to enjoy his freedom and unlife. That Astarion is also free and doesn't carry the burden of guilt or strings attached to Mephistopheles.

Why is their relationship turning into a nightmare? The world doesn't punish Tav in any way, everyone around them adores Tav, almost worships them, calls them a hero, and Astarion suddenly becomes a sadist. It's already like a delusion, it's completely unrealistic. Payback should come from where the damage was done, not the other way around.

I honestly don't know why they have done the kiss scenes in a way that shows Astarion as a sadist with Tav in an abusive relationship. If I have to make a guess, I think it might be like that Marvel comic artist that used porn actresses to draw the female characters so female characters that were supposedly fighting, were in literally fucking positions. My guess is that they used as a model sadist porn (someone else showed the comparison in this thread or another and made sense), without realizing that the people that get excited about the fear and pain in the face of the woman are usually abusive people. They probably bought in the lie that "deep down" women enjoy that. I hope that once they realize the error, they correct it. But for me it was a bad call and very wrong.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Mirmi
Of the seven runs in the game, I've only done the first one with Spawn. And right those who say that once you give AA a chance, and to the route of Spawn will not return. That's how it worked out for me. And I still promise to give Gale and his focus a chance, but Astarion is just too adorable.
I didn't have much trouble with the kneeling in the conversion scene. Saw it as an act of trust (which on the route for Astarion is important), a loyalty test from AA. (But everyone has different points of view, and for some this is unacceptable).
The new lap kiss bothers me now because it was a individuality for the scene of the address. But now doing it as a simple kiss-defeats individuality the conversion scene.

I struggled a bit, tried to negotiate, thought that after "No", there would be something smarter, some kind of conviction, but after Astarion broke off the relationship and got terribly offended, I rebooted and took it as an act of trust too. In that sense, the game has taught me something. For example, that you should look at the essence, not the "form".

And yes, the new kiss robs the conversion scene of some special sacrality. But the main point is that there is violence, strangulation, and Tav looks like a clear victim of violence, not a participant in the "love game" in any way.

My Love Is Cancelled.
Originally Posted by EMC_V
I honestly don't know why they have done the kiss scenes in a way that shows Astarion as a sadist with Tav in an abusive relationship. If I have to make a guess, I think it might be like that Marvel comic artist that used porn actresses to draw the female characters so female characters that were supposedly fighting, were in literally fucking positions. My guess is that they used as a model sadist porn (someone else showed the comparison in this thread or another and made sense), without realizing that the people that get excited about the fear and pain in the face of the woman are usually abusive people. They probably bought in the lie that "deep down" women enjoy that. I hope that once they realize the error, they correct it. But for me it was a bad call and very wrong.

Yes, I would agree. Sexual deviance (sadistic deviant porn with sexual abuse) as an inspiration for TAV could make sense, as those scenes are a mixture of abuse and sexual deviance. You can find similiar scenes (the woman is rejecting, screaming and/or crying, but then, when she is *** or forced by the man, sometimes controlled or hypnosed, she is like: "oh yeah, I want it" and after again unhappy and/or crying) but of course as an act on special sites. After someone mentioned it, I also took a look into those.. special deviant videos. Some (or some more?) men are into such stuff, but for regular people and especially women it is very, very disturbing and triggering.

And thank you for supporting the fanbase! smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by EMC_V
I I honestly don't know why they have done the kiss scenes in a way that shows Astarion as a sadist with Tav in an abusive relationship. If I have to make a guess, I think it might be like that Marvel comic artist that used porn actresses to draw the female characters so female characters that were supposedly fighting, were in literally fucking positions. My guess is that they used as a model sadist porn (someone else showed the comparison in this thread or another and made sense), without realizing that the people that get excited about the fear and pain in the face of the woman are usually abusive people. They probably bought in the lie that "deep down" women enjoy that. I hope that once they realize the error, they correct it. But for me it was a bad call and very wrong.

Absolutely agree. Again, in-game choices are in-game choices, and there may be in-game consequences for them, but not in any way experiencing traumatic scenes by real people.

No, I'm not trying to cheapen anyone's choice, it's just that there is the possibility of different interpretations, and one can look at it from different angles. I just believe that Astarion makes that choice himself, he wants it, he enjoys the freedom and a new full life afterward. I don't deny my evil intentions (I guess the happiness and comfort of a loved one is also quite a selfish intention that doesn't take into account others). I think that Tav becomes more like a chaotic-neutral after that, in order to be chaotic-evil you also have to enjoy causing evil, not just doing an evil deed for some main goal. But specifically in the game there is no alignment, so it's also a matter of personal evaluation. It all depends on priorities - the main thing is that all paths are passable, there are no particularly violent and traumatizing scenes that don't make any plot sense, and everyone is able to choose what feels more right to them, for whatever reasons they want, without bullying or coercion.

My Love Is Cancelled.
E
E
I think Astarion is conflicted. On one hand, he always wants power. On the other, not always wants to pay the price for that power (he doesn't want to become a full Illithid, for example). I think that while he is happy with the power he gets, he also see himself in the other spawns. And also cares about some of them. The way he says he feels sorry for his brothers and sisters, it seems that it is a love-hate relationship that *might* heal without Cazador pitting them one against the other. Also, he cares about Sebastian. Maybe because he sees a younger version of himself in him.

Both versions can be happy and unhappy. And doing an evil thing doesn't automatically turn you evil. You can even have good intentions, look the other way and so on. I've played both paths and I think both have their own interesting things. I also happen to think that both version of Astarion share traits and that ascended Astarion should be caring too because it is quite common that evil people love and care for their families while at the same time, being cruel to others. For example, Ascended Astarion would clearly kill to get Tav something Tav wants.

But I don't think that Larian wanted to make players uncomfortable with Ascended Astarion. I think the aim was to add kink and they failed in the delivery.

Page 31 of 49 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard