Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by ValkyrieN7
Right now her story in act 2 is exactly the same without any differences for romance and platonic paths. It needs to be changed.

I agree that it would be nice to have softened dialogue for her or any additions in Act 2. Not disagreeing that it would be even better if it was tweaked.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted by Ecc2ca
So yes, those are some of the reasons that I enjoy Shadowheart’s romance aside from the very sweet, consistent affirmations that she offers to the player character. Hope this helps answer your question! And to connect this to the original topic, what I’ve listed are also some of the reasons that Shadowheart’s romance ultimately feels satisfying to me, despite its imperfections. Again, not saying I wouldn’t welcome more content, but I love what content there is.

Yes! Thank you so much for the detailed answer. It's interesting to me why other people like the romances they like. For Shart I have often read, that people assume her popularity is due to her being the most appealing to the straight male audience - and while that might be true to some extend, it seems much too simple an answer - and frankly a very unsatisfying one when taken as the only easy solution.

Epilogue spoilers anon:
Especially since her most happy ending is such a perfect rendition of the most idyllic lesbian cottage core fantasy, with pets and baking and cider making. =)

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
I mean I'm a straight male and I very much enjoy the cottagecore fantasy of my character and Shadowheart enjoying a simple life in the countryside together. It appeals to everybody.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Anska
So yes, those are some of the reasons that I enjoy Shadowheart’s romance aside from the very sweet, consistent affirmations that she offers to the player character. Hope this helps answer your question! And to connect this to the original topic, what I’ve listed are also some of the reasons that Shadowheart’s romance ultimately feels satisfying to me, despite its imperfections. Again, not saying I wouldn’t welcome more content, but I love what content there is.

Yes! Thank you so much for the detailed answer. It's interesting to me why other people like the romances they like. For Shart I have often read, that people assume her popularity is due to her being the most appealing to the straight male audience - and while that might be true to some extend, it seems much too simple an answer - and frankly a very unsatisfying one when taken as the only easy solution.

Epilogue spoilers anon:
Especially since her most happy ending is such a perfect rendition of the most idyllic lesbian cottage core fantasy, with pets and baking and cider making. =)

Oh, it’s definitely NOT all a bunch of straight guys driving those numbers. No way. I’m sure there’s a healthy coalition of straight/bi/pan men, gay/bi/pan women, and non-binary folk driving the numbers. You can take that to the BANK. It’s such a deeply queer game (where queerness is normalized, expected, and simply a matter of course) that I’m confident that it attracts queer people of all sorts. How could it not? So I think the supposition that it’s all straight guys going for Shadowheart because she’s the only “normal looking” girl or whatever, is just wrong.

Plus I’m pretty sure her voice actor would be sad if that was actually the case, because she intentionally tried to infuse some queerness into Shadowheart’s character. She wanted those flirtatious lines with Karlach, and she has said that Shadowheart is supposed to be portrayed as having a little bit of a crush on Karlach. And she’s made other queer-affirming comments in regard to Shadowheart, and has her own Twitch channel actually where she runs cute streams with her girlfriend who she met during the making of BG3.

And I think that the fact that Larian chose to showcase Shadowheart and Lae’zel, when giving a teaser of Shadowheart’s new Dark Justiciar kiss, shows just how much Shadowheart is regarded as a queer character and is appealing to queer people.

Originally Posted by portionbeans
I mean I'm a straight male and I very much enjoy the cottagecore fantasy of my character and Shadowheart enjoying a simple life in the countryside together. It appeals to everybody.

Yes, I’m not excluding you by saying that Shadowheart and her endings could be appealing to queer people. I’m simply not speaking from the same perspective as you are, and I’m centering my perspective in my post.

Last edited by Ecc2ca; 03/03/24 11:54 PM.
A
old hand
old hand
A
XD I am still the tiniest bit grumpy because of those trailers, but just the tiniest bit as I mostly feel trolled. *gives poor Gale a hug*

veteran
veteran
Personally I don't care about representation, but I really do enjoy how Jennifer English's personal preferences have been incorporated into the character. Love the subtle flirtations Shadowheart has with Karlach as they're so lovely, and her wanting to be thrown over her shoulder and carried off is both sweet and funny to me grin

Plus Shadowheart is kinky as hell, so it fits the character beautifully. Can't say the same about all the aspects related to her character though, as representation actually did hurt a part of her personal story in ACT III massively for me (which I won't speak on because God forbid anyone says something constructively negative in today's day and age when it comes to these topics).

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Sobocles
Well, I don't want to spoil the party. I would love for Shadowheart to have more content, but it's essential to understand that both SH and Astarion are the characters with the MOST content in the game. I understand that they even made statistics where Astarion led the list followed by SH.

This is absolutely valid and folks who like Shadowheart have been spoiled in many ways. There are companions who are in much more dire need of work, including their romance. I’m thinking especially Minthara, or Wyll. I hope that eventually Larian will be able to bring those characters closer to the high standards they set with some of the others. I recognize the need for that. And I hope that they have something in the works. At the same time, it’s fun chatting about possibilities for Shadowheart, and darn it I want her special Grymforge kiss fixed!

So what do you all like about Shadowheart's romance - apart from validation?

Well, first, I like one of her potential endings. Epilogue spoilers:
I mean the one where you move to a cottage in the countryside, close to her parents, with like twenty animals and the owlbear, and a garden, relaxing and living the good life, after all of the trauma of the game’s events. This ending fulfilled all of the cottagecore lesbian fantasies that I didn’t even know I had lying latent in my soul. So the fact that you can have a peaceful, settled ending with her is a huge bonus for me. Not for everyone, but it’s for me. (And as an animal lover, I’m a fan of the whole “pack of pets” thing, and how she reacts approvingly whenever you’re nice to an animal throughout the game.) I like the idea of my Durge, Shadowheart, and her parents being able to heal together in a peaceful setting like that. Plus, you get a foretaste of that when you have a conversation with her once you hit the lower city, envisioning a future just like that. I liked that a lot.

Second, it’s interesting to explore personally-encountered themes or issues, such as trust or trauma or self-discovery, through her and her romance. Much the same way as folks who love Astarion explore certain life experiences of their own through his character.

Third, they’ve given her a sharp-witted, funny yet sweet personality. Wits and blades always sharp, right? Shadowheart was given a wonderful sense of humor by the devs, and that makes it very enjoyable to romance her, as well as simply bring her along as a companion. Games are for entertainment, right? And it always helps when you have a romance interest whose in-game lines make you laugh. Case in point, the interaction where you give her a night orchid. Plus the devs gave her a little extra love when it comes to smaller interactions, like giving her the Noblestalk or the idol of Shar, throughout the game. So it’s fun to have consistent, positive, small interactions that have some substance to them. And, if you’re taking her on the good path, those reflect positively on her personality as well.

I will also say, fourth, that her Act 2 romance does have some very powerful moments that are memorable, in my opinion. Act 2 spoilers:
One of which is the act of trusting her to do the right thing in regard to the Nightsong. And it feels so good when she actually follows through for you in that circumstance. And I know that folks don’t necessarily want to play as Durge, but there’s such a touching moment if you get the “murdering your partner” scene after the Nightsong, where you actually get an advantage on a dice roll because “Shadowheart has faith in you.” I thought that was a really nice touch, and I liked that too.

Fifth, (Act 3 spoilers)
there is a lovely powerful moment in Act 3 at the House of Grief where Shadowheart meets her old friend Nocturne, the purple tiefling, who happens to be trans. Nocturne said that Shadowheart’s courage inspired her to have the courage as well to become truer to herself, come out as a trans person, adopt a new name, etc. That reflects very positively on Shadowheart’s character and is one of the nicer queer-affirming moments in the game, in my opinion. Plus it’s nice that Shadowheart is clearly a queer character herself, given her occasional flirting with Karlach in Act 1. She was even nominated as one of the best queer characters of the year in the Gayming magazine awards, I believe? As a queer woman, I love that. I eat that stuff UP.

And then sixth and last (although I’m sure I could say more if I thought longer), (Act 3 and Durge spoilers)
there’s something special to me about running a Dark Urge Cleric of Selune, converted in the game for roleplay reasons, romancing Shadowheart. Something feels quite special about their intertwining arcs. You have two characters who are slowly remembering how they were exploited and manipulated by a brutal, abusive authority figure who sought to take away their personhood, their freedom, any sort of happiness that they might have in their lives, and replaced that with death and darkness. So resisting Durge and Shadowheart have the parallel experiences of slowly rediscovering who they are, growing into renewed people, going back to the places where they were brutalized, reclaiming their freedom, rejecting those who traumatized them, and then actually settling down and prioritizing their happiness. When the two stories come together, that feels really powerful to me.

I liked the Lohse and Sebille romance (playing as Lohse) in Divinity Original Sin 2, for a similar reason. Lohse faced down her literal demon, and smote him down where he stood, and Sebille took a knife to her master and, in my game, consumed his soul as well. They were both traumatized by a powerful authority figure, used and exploited, their free will taken away, and they both faced that person down and rebuked them, and came out the better for it.

For me, there’s something powerful about stories like that, something that sticks with you. And I think that is: you’re saying a better world is possible? A better future is possible? If that’s a dream, then it’s a beautiful dream.

In any case, Shadowheart has important story arc, but I would gladly trade some of it if that would mean more ROMANCE content for her. She lacks in that department.

I think it’s a mistake to hold her romance arc as distinct from her character arc, like they have nothing to do with each other. The romance enriches her character arc, and the character arc enriches the romance, in fact is an integral part of it.
the modders already fixed shadowheart's kiss "kiss me like you hate me" it's in nexus mods, apparently fans care more about this kind of thing xD the mod is called "Shadowheart Selunite Kiss Bug Fix"

N
addict
addict
N
the modders already fixed shadowheart's kiss "kiss me like you hate me" it's in nexus mods, apparently fans care more about this kind of thing xD the mod is called "Shadowheart Selunite Kiss Bug Fix"
I'd pay for a mod that fixes her well-known act3 things. Those that are around Halsin.

Lol.

Originally Posted by Netav
I'd pay for a mod that fixes her well-known act3 things. Those that are around Halsin.

Lol.

I'm pretty sure it'll be fixed once proper modding tools will be delivered. Can't wait.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
So... I just read that Larian now completely butchered the lore and they changed Lae'zel. Apparently she's okay now with staying with... Illithid. Which is beyond laughable.

But okay, let me get this straight, as of now:
- Minthara is broken to hell beyond acceptable levels.
- Karlach is also now broken and some people can't even start her romance. Her banter is broken too for some people.
- Shadowheart is broken, her "new banter" doesn't trigger at all and her hair color changes randomly during romance scene. Shar idol kiss has been broken for months.
- Larian also refuses to change anything regarding Shadowheart for her Selunite and DJ path, but they are totally okay with changing lore for Lae'zel for some reason.

Well, it looks like to me that Larian doesn't really pay much attention to female love interests.

So... I just read that Larian now completely butchered the lore and they changed Lae'zel. Apparently she's okay now with staying with... Illithid. Which is beyond laughable.

- Karlach is also now broken and some people can't even start her romance. Her banter is broken too for some people.
- Shadowheart is broken, her "new banter" doesn't trigger at all and her hair color changes randomly during romance scene. Shar idol kiss has been broken for months.
- Larian also refuses to change anything regarding Shadowheart for her Selunite and DJ path, but they are totally okay with changing lore for Lae'zel for some reason.

Well, it looks like to me that Larian doesn't really pay much attention to female love interests.

The Lae'zel part is a huge wtf to me. It makes zero sense. Literally unnecessary as some people do have their own limits and this is Lae'zel's, I don't know what was the reasoning for that.

And yeah, no banter is triggering for me either at all, they start becoming silent throughout act 2 to 3 and I prefer to have an all lady party. They don't even talk much about the city while walking, Minthara still doesn't interact with any of them when you get her with you on road. I only managed to get ONE dialogue triggered about refugees between Minthara and Shadowheart.

Pretty disheartening, I sure hope it's just a bug and not a fact that your companions don't talk much after act 1, banter - wise.

Originally Posted by WildOrchid

The Lae'zel part is a huge wtf to me. It makes zero sense. Literally unnecessary as some people do have their own limits and this is Lae'zel's, I don't know what was the reasoning for that.

And yeah, no banter is triggering for me either at all, they start becoming silent throughout act 2 to 3 and I prefer to have an all lady party. They don't even talk much about the city while walking, Minthara still doesn't interact with any of them when you get her with you on road. I only managed to get ONE dialogue triggered about refugees between Minthara and Shadowheart.

Pretty disheartening, I sure hope it's just a bug and not a fact that your companions don't talk much after act 1, banter - wise.

Shadowheart for me was mute through the whole act 2. Minthara has been a mute so far since act 2 and I'm currently in act 3. She hasn't said a word to anyone. I'm honestly tired of ladies being broken all the time while male love interesting are getting fixes right and left with some additional content on top of that.

The exact same issue I've had with Karlach. Not a word from her ever since I recruited her in act 1. Not even one banter.

But Wyll? Gale? Astarion? All working fine.

Last edited by ValkyrieN7; 08/03/24 12:30 AM.

A
old hand
old hand
A
I wonder, do they have text with each other?

I had an Act 1 issue in which Shart's audio was broken but other than that, it seems situational. I currently play Astarion's origin, I had Tav-banter (when the PC says something and one of the companions replies) with Lae'zel in Githyanki content and some Shar/artefact related stuff with Shadowheart but apart from this it's mostly been Astarion and Gale happily chatting about Myconide necromancy, dusty halls and whatever comes up. With my Gale Origin it was the same but just the other way around.

I am enjoying it because I like the two chatting but I was wondering if it was an approval thing or just generally only the two of them latching on to weird topics.

Last edited by Anska; 08/03/24 12:56 AM.
I wonder, do they have text with each other?

I had an Act 1 issue in which Shart's audio was broken but other than that, it seems situational. I am currently play Astarion's origin, I had Tav-banter (when the PC says something and one of the companions replies) with Lae'zel in Githyanki content and some Shar/artefact related stuff with Shadowheart but apart from this it's mostly been Astarion and Gale happily chatting about Myconide necromancy, dusty halls and whatever comes up. With my Gale Origin it was the same but just the other way around.

I am enjoying it because I like the two chatting but I was wondering if it was an approval thing or just generally only the two of them latching on to weird topics.

I'm playing as Tav and situation for me looks like this in act 1:
Shadowheart had banter with Lae'zel, Wyll, Gale and Astarion - zero banter with Karlach and Minthara.
Lae'zel had two banters with Wyll, one with Gale, several with Shadowheart - zero with the rest.
Karlach - no banter whatsoever with anyone.
Gale, Wyll and Astarion - all working fine between each other.

Act 2:
Shadowheart is mute. (her new content doesn't work)
Minthara is mute.
Lae'zel is mute.
Karlach is mute.
At this point I stopped using male companions.

Act 3:
Ladies are still mute.

In conclusion - women are broken to hell and beyond. And before you say "maybe you just finished all the banter", no, I didn't. Karlach was mute from the beginning, same with Minthara.

A
old hand
old hand
A
I have had all the normal group banter between them trigger for me, in Act 2 there just seems to have much less banter in general and it depends strongly on the group. Shart and Lae'zel should have a bit when entering Moonrise tower for example.

My Minthara hasn't said a word yet though either.

Last edited by Anska; 08/03/24 01:03 AM.
I have had all the normal group banter between them trigger for me, in Act 2 there just seems to have much less banter in general and it depends strongly on the group. Shart and Lae'zel should have a bit when entering Moonrise tower for example.

I've been changing my party to see if anything triggers. Nothing, act 2 is all mute, even with Minthara, same with act 3 and I thought something new would appear there.

Can confirm, Karlach especially has a lot of banter with Shadowheart and I wasn't having any, maybe max 1-2 dialogues and that was all in act 1 alone. Rest is muted to a deafening margin from act 2 onwards. To be honest, banter should not have limits, at least not before middle of act 2 to act 3.. It'd feel a bit weird if you exhaust all banter in act 1, and the rest of acts not have any.

Lots of stuff happening in the city of Baldur's Gate and my companions don't even talk? Not even talking about stuff that happened before entering the city or random interesting stuff you get to know about your companions? Datamines have showed that Minthara has a lot of banter for each companion and she's been so far mute with the ladies. Even with the dudes.

And weirdly, when I add Gale to the party or Wyll or Astarion, banter immediately starts and its all directed at Shadowheart most of times.

Banter should still be happening in act 3, even if scripted.

journeyman
journeyman
bantering doesn't seem to off on my games Karlach is probably a little quieter in act 2
guantlet of shar is Karlach, Shadowheart and Astarion .

Shadowheart and Astarion are always bantering about something Karlach seemed to speak up at the tiefling corpses
and shes chatting about Dammon everytime we go to the inn.

Shadowheart talks a fair bit in Rivington not noticed so much in the city but that place has dialogue everywhere so I may just be missing it .

Karlach bearly shuts up in act 1 Shadowheart/Astarion are her reply buddies.

Minthara is completely busted at the moment as I haven't got the update as I'm on Xbox I have to play her she sometimes sends out the odd sentence but I've not been in that game for about a week to fully listen to her.
12 characters on the go I'm an Altoholic

I'll add that I started having Jaheira in my party in act 3 and she's mute as well. Another busted female companion in my game. So far I had 0 banter between anyone in act 3 and I'm in the lower city already.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
I have wanted more companion content in general in act 3 for a long time. The content we do get is great, there's just not enough of it! I love Astarion's graveyard scene... but I wish there were more ways to enjoy this progressed romance than just repeatable kisses, and for spawn Astarion it's just 2 kisses. I don't know how... perhaps it's just more companion cutscenes and conversations in general that would make act 3 not feel so quiet. Selune Shadowheart is a very sweet character, so more validating from her to her partner makes sense. I've never romanced Shadowheart but even as a friend in the epilogue she is the sweetest person at the party. It makes sense for her validate her romance just as much as Karlach does. I understand why someone would want more.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard