Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
hi i'm curious....there is a bouncing "thing" that I've met on the in the second "room" on the 4th level of the Aleroth Catacombes that appears, bounces, makes the ground quake and i loose a chunk life points. I've tried battering the thing when it appears but i just loose more life. I've got a mage character if that makes any difference?!?

I just want to know what it is and how to get rid of it/stop loosing life!

Thanks in advance for any tips smile

A
veteran
veteran
A
These are the so-called "egg-bombs".

In really early developing times, there even was a big discussion whether these bombs should really make a sound at all or not.

The sound was descibed as "oink", and one group was against it, thus they developed the "NO OINK!" signs. It looked like non-parking traffic sign with the egg-bomb in the background, and a red "NO OINK!" in the foreground.

Seemingly Lar or someone else succeeded: The sound was in eventually ... wink

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Support
Support
That would be a trail bomb, I believe (which uses a bag of explosives as the trap material). There should be a 'sproing' sound effect just before they go off (I don't recall it sounding much like an 'oink'), allowing you to change directing or back away if you are quick enough. If you click and hold the left mouse button down to direct your character, that may make it easier to quickly change/reverse direction.

Spider mines (which have an egg as trap material) definitely have a 'sproing' sound effect before heading straight for you. However, they don't navigate around objects very well, so it usually isn't too hard to head through a door or around one of the many low walls in the catacombs, to have it destroy itself on contact with the wall.

There is a trap detection skill, but after the catacombs there are only a couple places in the game with traps, so you would be better off using Aura of Guarding (for physical damage) or Spell Shield (for poison / elemental damage) to compensate, or simply a few more healing potions (or when you get up a few levels, restoration potions). As a warrior I maxed both shield spells with purchased spell books (though not until later in the game after I got to better merchants).

enthusiast
enthusiast
I've never used traps (I generally don't like trapping enemies, it just doesn't seem fair) and therefore I'm not sure if it's egg bombs or trail bombs but if I had to make a guess, I would say trail bombs.

P.S they are planted by the ghouls, I recommend that the second you
see a ghoul, STRIKE IT DOWN!!! wink

"Oh Lord, how long will the search go on?"
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
thanks for the replies.

i think they're spider mines but i've not "found" any eggs except for 3 which i've picked up and sold off after smashing skeletons to bittybits! they do make a 'sproing' sound effect though....a click on restoration and a seemingly endless supply of mana potions and i'm ok!

thanks Raze for the link to the restoration potions - i had wondered what they were and their difference to the standard health/mana poitions.

S
S
The thing with trail bombs, is they make no sound and go off straight away. Spiders you can usually outrun I found, since they like to zigzag a bit randomnly and sometimes end up bouncing nowhere if they're near objects.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard