Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Smashy
Really? I didn't know that worked. But then I just found out that when you use a statuette, it doesn't get "used up" in the process. I always thought it did. Good point though about leveling up when I get to wastelands, that should give me plenty of STR. I've already used the Shrine of good and evil. Maybe at this point it's worth spending the 2,500 to get a free point in traders tongue too.

use spider statue. it is the one that's most likely to work.

and again, see if you can build a chart of gears that you will aim for if you play this game one more time.

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow, that would be really cool if it worked. Then I could pick up all kinds of good loot smile And I did know about the Rimmer ale trick, in fact with the right buyer (or level in Trader's Tongue) you can get 50 for 'em. It's just a little tedious I guess, I can imagine trying to get 37,000 worth heh. You're right though, there's tons of stuff I can pick up and sell. One of my favorite tricks from previous games is mixing up medium and large poisons to sell and/or use as currency. Even minor ones work, you can get empty flasks for 10-15 each, fill them, and sell them back for 90-100. Medium poisons can sell for up to 300. Large poisons can sell for 1000. There's stuff to make poison with everywhere (though since there is a finite amount, it's probably best to fill medium or large flasks if possible. But yeah, you're right there's stuff to pick up everywhere, it's just usually not worth too much. Heck, when starting a new game, I even steal George's broom and sell it back to him. I like to pick up every bottle of booze I can find too. Though all the money and item drops from kills really do add up. Speaking of, I should write down what I have on my "trophy" list. I'm sure I haven't killed more than 25 things total heh.

I'll think about making that items chart. It's mostly stuff you already mentioned. The two rings are a must, as are the magic lockpicks. I really like George's leather armor, that can be a good boost early on. Amulet of Glory, Bat of Striking are both great. I'm sure you know this, but you can't get one of the rings without getting at least 2000 xp.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I'm sure you know this, but you can't get one of the rings without getting at least 2000 xp.

good point there. but 2k exp is nothing if you think about it, it's probably the difference between level 9.7 and level 9.6 if you know what i am saying.

i think it is important to avoid big chunks of exp. small bits here and there won't make a difference in the end, or will they? i will finish my current run and restart a new game to find out!

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
Yup, I know, which is why it's funny that I was struggling over whether or not to skip healing the two patients and skip getting the pyramid. Those total about 3k xp I believe. Though that question still is valid I think, as my original goal was to see how early you could reach Stormfist. You still might be able to do it earlier than lvl three by skipping those items, but it would be difficult for sure. Also reaching Stormfist is one thing, escaping the dungeon is quite another heh. Though if the goal is strictly gettining an invitation and getting in before lvl 3, I'm sure it can be done.

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
I did the quest to get a point in identify, and the quest that gets you traders tongue at the Merchant's guild, those two brought me to like 95% of the way to lvl 11. Not good. but that means I probably can't get the Dragon Chestplate because it will mean xp. Now I'm having a devil of a time getting good Dragon Gloves. After about 20 tries, the best candidate is a charm quality 2 set with +40 vitality and magic (and some other stuff)

enthusiast
enthusiast
I did the quest to get a point in identify, and the quest that gets you traders tongue at the Merchant's guild, those two brought me to like 95% of the way to lvl 11. Not good. but that means I probably can't get the Dragon Chestplate because it will mean xp. Now I'm having a devil of a time getting good Dragon Gloves. After about 20 tries, the best candidate is a charm quality 2 set with +40 vitality and magic (and some other stuff)

Only 20? Don't give up! Be willing to try 100 times! wink I'm not kidding, to get some items I had to try over 100 times! eek

"Oh Lord, how long will the search go on?"
Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
Well easier said than done...I don't have Identify 5, so I have to teleport back to a shop every time heh. I'll try a few more times though.

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
I got quality 5 gloves and belt now, and my mana capacity is now finally over 100 (over 79 for that matter). I'm thinking getting that point in Identify was a mistake now, since I can't get the boots without going over lvl 11. I might have to rethink things.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I got quality 5 gloves and belt now, and my mana capacity is now finally over 100 (over 79 for that matter). I'm thinking getting that point in Identify was a mistake now, since I can't get the boots without going over lvl 11. I might have to rethink things.

ya definitely a mistake but don't worry, it's your first low-level-run.

i am sure you will do better next time.

just finish your current run first and jot down all the mistakes you make.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S

what boots again? the vampire boots? you can get them without killing the vampire. lure him back to the entrance of the cave, change to a spider and walk back, and then save/load all you want.

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
lol yup, that's what I figured out, but thanks for the tip. The Dragon Chestplate definitely puts me over to lvl 11 though (I tried it). I was ok getting the Augment Damage point, and the Alchemy point (1500 xp). Not sure what I'll do next besides try to make a little cash. Didn't nab much from the city watch. I did notice I can grab most or all of the armor in the marketplace armor shop.

Another little tip I learned, if you run away from something (I did this to the vampire, maybe it won't work on other things) and get out of their sight range, then sneak back into range, you can bombard them with meteor strike (staying in sneak) and they just stand there. And this is surely an exploit, one I'll probably rarely if ever use, but if you load a game in which you had taken minor shadows, when it comes up, your mana is no longer draining. This probably balances out the bug where your shadows is off, but you continue to lose mana. I don't know if saving/loading would correct that or not.

I tried the trick of releasing scorpions then turning into a spider, at first I was watching the carnage thinking "hey, it's working, no xp!" ...but then I went to move and realized I'd been dead for some time. I'm pretty positive one of the scorpions killed me outright, I'll have to play with that again.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I tried the trick of releasing scorpions then turning into a spider, at first I was watching the carnage thinking "hey, it's working, no xp!" ...but then I went to move and realized I'd been dead for some time. I'm pretty positive one of the scorpions killed me outright, I'll have to play with that again.

don't change into a spider until the mob your scorpion is attacking is "almost dead"

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
lol yup, that's what I figured out, but thanks for the tip. The Dragon Chestplate definitely puts me over to lvl 11 though (I tried it). I was ok getting the Augment Damage point, and the Alchemy point (1500 xp).

alchemy won't be needed IMO scorpion will do most of the work and you will stay in cat/frog/spider and not get hit, i think besides a chart of "armors to aim for", i should try to make a chart of "skills to train".

plus, for some skills, like repair/alchemy/ID/trader's tongue/lockpick/pick pocket, you can simply save/load for items that will give you that particular skill instead of actually training for it.

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
True, and maybe I'm too impatient, it seems like I rarely get a skill item that I want (unless I'm not looking for it)...and then it can be irritating switching out armor etc when you want to do a specific thing, though it certainly can be worth it. I used one point in lockpick to get the Vampire boots, and I'm down to one. I think I better use it on Charm Weapon. When I have skill points to burn, I like to max out Repair, since on some items a few repair points can mean thousands of gold difference in price. Aaah it will be great to eventually get back to killing everything in sight. I miss that sometimes hehe.

btw the spider trick works almost perfectly, you get no xp for scorpion kills in spider form. The main problems are that the scorpions attack you in spider form, and it's hard to predict when you'll change back. And right now it doesn't take much to push me over. (maybe I should just give in and go to 11 heh). I suppose I can drop scorpians, switch to spider form, then start running away...by the time I change back I should be far enough away to not get any xp. Then change back and start walking toward the carnage again. Hmm but then I'll change back...

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
True, and maybe I'm too impatient, it seems like I rarely get a skill item that I want (unless I'm not looking for it)...and then it can be irritating switching out armor etc when you want to do a specific thing, though it certainly can be worth it. I used one point in lockpick to get the Vampire boots, and I'm down to one. I think I better use it on Charm Weapon. When I have skill points to burn, I like to max out Repair, since on some items a few repair points can mean thousands of gold difference in price. Aaah it will be great to eventually get back to killing everything in sight. I miss that sometimes hehe.

btw the spider trick works almost perfectly, you get no xp for scorpion kills in spider form. The main problems are that the scorpions attack you in spider form, and it's hard to predict when you'll change back. And right now it doesn't take much to push me over. (maybe I should just give in and go to 11 heh). I suppose I can drop scorpians, switch to spider form, then start running away...by the time I change back I should be far enough away to not get any xp. Then change back and start walking toward the carnage again. Hmm but then I'll change back...

1, you can use the statue to go back to human form...it's an on-use item, meaning you can switch back and forth at will

2, rank 1 repair is ALL you need. if you think otherwise, rethink about it.

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
Like I said, if I have skill points to burn I like to max out repair. I know that in the particular game I'm playing I don't need more than one point in repair as I definitely don't have points to spare. In fact I questioned whether I even needed that point. I didn't even need to get anything repaired until sometime after I was ready to hit the gong heh.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Like I said, if I have skill points to burn I like to max out repair. I know that in the particular game I'm playing I don't need more than one point in repair as I definitely don't have points to spare. In fact I questioned whether I even needed that point. I didn't even need to get anything repaired until sometime after I was ready to hit the gong heh.

no, at any time in any stage in divine divinity, rank 1 repair is all you need.

from gamebanshee

"Repair: Since once point of the “repair” skill allows you to repair objects up to 60% of their maximum durability, and since there isn’t any downside to repairing objects frequently, you only need one point in this skill."

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
Right, I understand that one point is all that's ever necessary or needed, (well not absolutely necessary but at least preferred); when I say I like to max out repair, I'm talking about a preference, not something that's a necessity.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Right, I understand that one point is all that's ever necessary or needed, (well not absolutely necessary but at least preferred); when I say I like to max out repair, I'm talking about a preference, not something that's a necessity.

but earlier you said

"I like to max out Repair, since on some items a few repair points can mean thousands of gold difference in price"

which is not true, higher rank of repair does not save you gold.

anything with more than 2 durability is good enough for rank 1 repair. because 2*60%=1.2 which is rounded to 1. so you can keep repairing it back to 1 durability whenever it breaks.

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
Aaah ok, now I understand. I was talking about the price the item sells for, not the cost of repairing it. As in the money you'd get selling a magic tower shield with 3/15 durability vs selling one fully repaired at 15/15.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard