Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Smashy
Aaah ok, now I understand. I was talking about the price the item sells for, not the cost of repairing it. As in the money you'd get selling a magic tower shield with 3/15 durability vs selling one fully repaired at 15/15.

ah sorry about that...

really? thousands of gold just for a couple of durability?

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
for sure if it's a really high priced item. And even if it's just moderately priced, a few extra hundered gold on lots of items really adds up.

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
Something I just found out, something to add to the "most wanted equipment" list...the Dwarven Chestplate at the Council Hall may weigh 350, but it only has a Strength requirement of 40. So I'm wearing it now heh.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Something I just found out, something to add to the "most wanted equipment" list...the Dwarven Chestplate at the Council Hall may weigh 350, but it only has a Strength requirement of 40. So I'm wearing it now heh.

That's the Armor I mentioned earlier in this thread... rolleyes

"Oh Lord, how long will the search go on?"
Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
I know, I just didn't know it only had a STR requirement of 40.

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I have all the armor I think I'll need...maybe I should go after the Strange Amulet just to see if I can get anything good on it. I can't get the gold charms under the talking tree because I need a higher lockpick skill to get the tea. Which sucks. I looted Stormfist and also got the shield, sold all the crap I was gathering up and now have approx. 62,000...just enough to buy one gold charm heh. That's part of the reason I quit looking for things with 4-5 charm slots heh, I'll never be able to afford to fill them anyway (unless I just decide to chuck it all and go on a killing spree in the Wastelands). I can still grab the Axe of 100 crusades and the sword of the Gods and sell them. Which reminds me, I think I still need to grab that singing sword and sell it. That could potentially get me some decent cash. I understand someone made it to the end at lvl 17, I'm thinking even if I do everything perfectly, there will be no way to beat or even match that. And I'm thinking being able to hit the gong under lvl 10 would be seriously hard. You could "skip" getting level 2 by not healing the two patients in Aleroth, but in the end, you'll get that 2000 xp anyway. Tough stuff.

If anyone has anything else to add, or any further tips, please let me know, I'll probably ring the gong tomorrow and go for it. Or something.

Edit: on my next game, I'm thinking about going the opposite way, just cleanse the land of all naughty creatures, gathering up the best loot while I'm at it. Yeah, that will probably get boring quick, but I'll want a break after conserving my kills and XP this whole time. It'll be nice to get back to just hacking up whatever gets in my way. Or else I have to think of something else fun to do. I know going for all the lvl 35-ish creatures first turns out to be less than fun. Hmm

Last edited by Smashy; 17/04/08 05:48 AM.
Support
Support
Areana made it to the wastelands at level 17 (ie hit the gong at 12), but did not attempt to actually finish.

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh wow, see I saw someone say she finished at 17, and I was pretty blown away by that. Ok then, now I'm not so discouraged. Although if I do rush to beat the game at this point, it will likely be quite cheesy, not just out of lazyness but also out of necessity. I don't know a way to do it and not be "cheesy" ...but oh well. I'll be lvl 15 with 6 skill points and about 62,000 gold to play with.

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
Well...it is finished. I got the Ghost point from the dragon first, then went for the hardest boss first, Josie. I found that poison weapon was no use, she's resistant to it, and plus she would insta-kill me with her spikes. I sunk my cash into the only gold charm I could afford, a very large vitality; it still didn't help, the spikes were instant death. So after a little more experimenting, I leveled deadly gift up to 2, and released 15 or so. The first five I released she killed pretty quickly, so I had to come back with 10 more. Then Moriendor, who did fall quite easily to arrow with super poison. Iona was again resistant to poison, so I scorpion'ed her too. Demonia and Cornelius were suckers for arrows with super poison.

Just a quick tip that many of you probably already know: with a poisoned melee weapon, you have to actually score a hit to poison the enemy. Not so with an arrow, it poisons them whether you score a hit or not.

For the Demon of Lies, I tried out a trick I read on these forums, as soon as he summoned his pet, I cast aura of command on it, then drank a minor shadows, sat back and watched. Kind of amazing that the Demon of Lies gets his health taken down by his pet rather quickly, while the pet suffers only minor damage. A very nice thing to watch. I killed the Demon at lvl 17, but the 201,033 xp I got from the kill pumped me up to lvl 18 right before the end movie.

screen cap here

Phew heh.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S

congratulations, i know you want to do a normal run now and fully enjoy the game, but can you push for level 12~16 finish with the "no gaining exp with spider statue while scorpions do the killing" trick?

given that you have unlimited amount of gold at the beginning of the game.

Support
Support
Congratulations. party

Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Raze, that means a lot coming from you.

congratulations, i know you want to do a normal run now and fully enjoy the game, but can you push for level 12~16 finish with the "no gaining exp with spider statue while scorpions do the killing" trick? given that you have unlimited amount of gold at the beginning of the game.

That's actually a good idea, I didn't know how it could be completed much lower due to the big xp bumps you get from killing bosses. I might even be able to just load up my save before I went to the bosses and might possibly be able to pull it off at 15 if I do it right. I think it works the same way if you turn into a ghost, which is somewhat more convenient than using the spider. I might try that with the end boss right now heh.

It may be awhile before I attempt the whole thing again. Even if you're sprinting past 95% of the enemies in the game and skipping probably the majority of the quests (even some you'd like to do), it's still a long slog. And even using things like sneak, fade from sight, etc there can be some tense moments because with such low armor and constitution, you're very fragile. And with such a low level and with so few skill points available, your options skill-wise are pretty limted. It sucked having to wait until lvl 8 to use poison weapon for example. I am regretting that I had to resort to scorpions on two bosses, but being vunerable for just a moment with Josie meant instant death, and with Iona it meant almost constant restoration spell and restoration potions. I should have tried survivor's curse some.

Now how is it that I have unlimited gold at the beginning? Do you mean the Rimmer ale trick? Or using the gold duplication trick?

EDIT: ok I tried being in spirit form when the final boss died (the last time took some doing, I had to Aura of Command three different pets), and both times I tried the game crashed about five seconds into the end movie. I'm wondering if this is some consequence of being in spirit form...I'll have to play with that later. There may be no way to avoid that final 200k xp.

Edit 2...I tried it using the frog statuette, no difference, it still crashes about 5 mins into the end movie. The Ghost trick for no xp can probably be done on the five other end bosses but not the final one. Still it might be impossible to for me to get that final xp and still stay lvl 15...if I'm doing the calculation correctly, the xp difference between 15 and 16 is 240,000, and at level 15 I'll probably get more than than the 201,000 xp that I got at lvl 17. Even assuming it was only 201k xp, that would only give me 39k or so xp in wiggle room, and it would be seriously hard to stay under that. I do believe some of the end creatures (not the boss) were giving out 40k xp each, so just one would be too much. A finish at 16 may be possible for me, though it wouldn't be easy.

Last edited by Smashy; 18/04/08 01:23 AM. Reason: added further test result
Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
Not that many besides myself would be interested in this, but I grabbed the numbers quick and dirty like (because I was running late for work) and just added them up, by the end (note: this is before I confronted the Demon of Lies) I killed a total of 65 things. I was doing much better before I started using those darned scorpions that just kill mindlessly and indiscriminately.

DARN YOU JOSIE! (heh)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Congratulations on your accomplishment Smashy, You've just set a new record! up up

"Oh Lord, how long will the search go on?"
Smashy Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I don't know if I really set a new record, or if I was just the guy boring and/or lame enough to chronicle the whole thing. I'm still disappointed though, I feel like it wasn't really a "win" because I had to rely on scorpions at a few points, otherwise I was toast (noteably with Josey, of course), and didn't experiment enough with maybe survivor's curse (dunno if it would have helped, since giving her just seconds of breathing room meant watching my health go from full to zero in a flash). And I now know that I probably could have concievably not received the XP for boss and boss related kills using various tricks, possibly coming out lower in the end.

All that being said, for me it was a lot of fun and a good challenge to sort of turn the game on it's head and push my personal envelope as far as finishing the game at the lowest that I could. I'm not thinking of trying again anytime soon, because at times it was quite trying. To be honest I'm eager to get back to playing "normally." Though I am still curious to know where more corners could be cut. Thinking about it though, I think finishing much lower than 17-18 would be tough, but I know someone can do it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard