Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
apparently, different video settings = different speed, at least on my machine.

if i use direct draw, level 1 bless lasts about 10.5 seconds

and if i use direct 3D, level 1 bless lasts about 18~19 seconds...

i found this out because i was wondering why my level 1 freeze would only last like 1.5 sec when it used to seem last longer.

Last edited by slicedpeaches; 13/04/08 04:10 AM.
This is a really good question. I just counted out a few spells one day and figured one time unit was about 2 seconds.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Smashy
This is a really good question. I just counted out a few spells one day and figured one time unit was about 2 seconds.

so you are saying that on your machine,

level 1 bless lasts 30 seconds?

did you stopwatch it, if no, could you please?

Hmm don't really have a stopwatch, but I'll try to figure something out, sure. But yeah, 30 seconds sounds about right. Actually now that I think of it, it seems that the 5 time unit spell I was testing lasted just under 10 seconds, more like 9 maybe. But again, I was just counting out my best estimation of a second.

Would this possibly mean that the day/night cycle might be faster or slower depending on your settings?

Last edited by Smashy; 13/04/08 05:06 AM.
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Hmm don't really have a stopwatch, but I'll try to figure something out, sure. But yeah, 30 seconds sounds about right. Actually now that I think of it, it seems that the 5 time unit spell I was testing lasted just under 10 seconds, more like 9 maybe. But again, I was just counting out my best estimation of a second.

Would this possibly mean that the day/night cycle might be faster or slower depending on your settings?

hmmm...this is bad then, because my level 1 bless lasts only "up to" 19 seconds, and that means i am only getting 2/3 of the full potential of any spell that "lasts x time units".

But maybe everything else is sped up just slightly too, so the amount of things you can do in that timeframe is relatively the same? Do you notice anything else sped up or slowed down at the different settings (like your movement speed, weapon swinging speed, etc) or just the spell durations? Just curious, I don't really know what the answer could be.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
is Raze around?

we need you cheer

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
is anyone with a stop watch around? i need someone to start a new game with female mage, use bless and count how many seconds it lasts. if you don't have a stopwatch, try checking out your cell-phone, they usually have one somewhere under tools/organizers/etc.

Support
Support
Any watch will do (or even counting consistently), since sub-second accuracy is not required.

AFAIK one time unit is one second, but I rarely used spells with time durations. I did check the timing of Survivors Instinct. With that skill you recover 1 hit point at a rate determined by the skill level. At level 1, with a 'rate of 12' you get a hit point every 12 seconds, etc. This skill isn't very helpful during battles, but is handy to top off your hit points between fights, whenever you head back to base to drop off loot, etc.

I may have time later today to try a couple spells under different rendering methods.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Raze
Any watch will do (or even counting consistently), since sub-second accuracy is not required.

AFAIK one time unit is one second, but I rarely used spells with time durations. I did check the timing of Survivors Instinct. With that skill you recover 1 hit point at a rate determined by the skill level. At level 1, with a 'rate of 12' you get a hit point every 12 seconds, etc. This skill isn't very helpful during battles, but is handy to top off your hit points between fights, whenever you head back to base to drop off loot, etc.

I may have time later today to try a couple spells under different rendering methods.

ya, any watch will do! if you have time, please try it out for me. i am guessing here it's either 1.5 sec or 2 sec for 1 time unit. i hope it's 1.5 second because that means there is nothing wrong with my game.

i am pretty sure it's not 0.7 seconds tho, which happens if i use directdraw, level 1 freeze lasts 2 sec isn't fun frown

Last edited by slicedpeaches; 13/04/08 11:19 PM.
I started a new female mage and tested the level one bless three times, it lasted right at 20 seconds. I used the stopwatch on my phone. Hope this helps.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
I started a new female mage and tested the level one bless three times, it lasted right at 20 seconds. I used the stopwatch on my phone. Hope this helps.

thanks!

let's say you are within 1 second of error

19~21/15 = 1.3~1.4, which implies that 1 time unit is 1.3~1.4 seconds, or, 3 time unit is 4 seconds.

Support
Support
Casting Bless, I got slightly different times the first try than on subsequent ones (subsequent times differed by less than a second). I don't know if that is because I didn't move or do anything else between casts, or if a couple programs I left running in the background were slowing the game down, or something.

Bless level 1 (15 time units)
Direct3D - 20s first try, 18-19s subsequent (~1.2s/time unit)
DirectDraw - 25.5s first try, 24s 2nd/3rd (~1.6s/time unit)

Bless level 5 (120 time units)
Direct3D - 172s first try, 181s 2nd/3rd (~1.5s/time unit)
DirectDraw - 238s first try, 210s 2nd/3rd (~1.75s/time unit)

Which is the better setting to have it on visual and performance wise? Direct3D or DirectDraw?

Edit: nevermind, I found out myself, DirectDraw blows on my comp. Any change with clicking the AlphaBit setting? I don't know what that does.

Last edited by Smashy; 14/04/08 09:06 PM.
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Raze
Casting Bless, I got slightly different times the first try than on subsequent ones (subsequent times differed by less than a second). I don't know if that is because I didn't move or do anything else between casts, or if a couple programs I left running in the background were slowing the game down, or something.

Bless level 1 (15 time units)
Direct3D - 20s first try, 18-19s subsequent (~1.2s/time unit)
DirectDraw - 25.5s first try, 24s 2nd/3rd (~1.6s/time unit)

Bless level 5 (120 time units)
Direct3D - 172s first try, 181s 2nd/3rd (~1.5s/time unit)
DirectDraw - 238s first try, 210s 2nd/3rd (~1.75s/time unit)

thanks Raze man!

now it would be awesome if i could get my game to run at 1.75 sec per time unit. it would make things so much easier.

and while you are here raze, what does frost(5) mean? 5 time units? also lightening(5) and poison(5) and so on.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The frost(5), Lightning (5) etc. indicates the level of damage, i.e level 5 lightning doing more damage than lightning level 4. wink

"Oh Lord, how long will the search go on?"
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by twoheadedragon
The frost(5), Lightning (5) etc. indicates the level of damage, i.e level 5 lightning doing more damage than lightning level 4. wink

that's the easy part, it's obvious.

now what about the actual details/mathematics?

Raze seems to know everything about DD so i asked him.

Last edited by slicedpeaches; 15/04/08 03:49 AM.
Support
Support
The damage skills on weapons are roughly comparable to the corresponding passive damage skills or spells (except that Frost on a weapon ignores the target's resistances, so is much more effective than the Freeze spell). As for the details, the Larians have not published any specifics, and I have not done any comparisons (and don't know if anyone else has).

Actually, I never used the passive damage skills (other than Augment Damage), and damage skill bonuses were not high on my list when upgrading equipment, so I don't have a feel for how comparable Lightning(5) would be to level 5 of Lightning Damage, for example.

I did have a couple swords with damage bonuses, which were nice, but not missed after upgrading. I found Stun on a weapon handy, though, and started investing in the passive Stun skill after replacing a sword with Stun(2). Poison on a weapon might be effective... With the passive damage skills, low levels didn't seem to have a high enough chance to hit to make them worth investing in, and by the time I was a high enough character level to max them, I didn't need the extra damage (and higher level monsters have higher resistances, anyway).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by slicedpeaches

That's for sure, he knows a lot. I think he's only finished the game once or twice, but he's played it hundreds, if not thousands of times just to test every single aspect of the game. He's easily the person on this Forum who's set the most people straight, why, he's probably helped just about everybody on this Forum at one time or another. I could drag on and on and on about all his accomplishments and successes in helping people, but it's recorded in the pages of all these posts anyway. He's almost never "tripped" on answering a question, I've only seen it happen once...

"Oh Lord, how long will the search go on?"
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by twoheadedragon
Originally Posted by slicedpeaches

That's for sure, he knows a lot. I think he's only finished the game once or twice, but he's played it hundreds, if not thousands of times just to test every single aspect of the game. He's easily the person on this Forum who's set the most people straight, why, he's probably helped just about everybody on this Forum at one time or another. I could drag on and on and on about all his accomplishments and successes in helping people, but it's recorded in the pages of all these posts anyway. He's almost never "tripped" on answering a question, I've only seen it happen once...

all of this have nothing to do with what i asked...

less worshiping, more testing, go go

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard