Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi. I have been playing div and beyondfor about a year now and having a great time. Never had much of a problem, and any real questions I had I could find answers to in the forum pages.
But now I have a real technical sticking point. I am going through the Act 4 Battlefield topside, Hardcore difficulty, and it keeps resetting. It seems to be something to do with my summoning dollies. I have invested 12 skill points in the Extra Level, Extra Radius, and Extra Skill Slot for the dolls so they could be dangerous. I am on Hardcore, and it seems like when the demon doll gets killed by an enemy Magic Hammer the game halts for moments and sometimes quits altogether. This is not the worst: The skeleton has reset to level 1 and the demon has reset to level 8.
I did make a save when I first entered Act4 (I learned from others who only had two quicksaves eek), but I have done too much and got too many goodies to want to start over. Can somebody save my dollies? I had both of them up to level 9, with the skellie firing a 10000+ GP crossbow doing over 150 damage, and the demon had a lot more health and strength. I outfitted them with the best belts and jewellry with charms, and for the skel armor with speed, sight, and initiative bonuses (mostly hand-me-downs from the human). ( sadHow I wish the demon and ranaar could use any armor and ranged weapons-they get killed easy in melee...I had plenty of great unused stuff sold off)
I might even be desperate enough to go so far as to try the hex-editing as described by the all-knowing Raze (kidding), and checked that the Hackman link works, but the instructions don't seem to cover editing summoning dolls, but it seems a bit too much like a first year med student attempting emergency brain surgery from a textbook.
BTW: I am using the 1.49 patch, 800x600 resolution on a pc set for 1024x768 @ 16 bit color. I am running Win XP Pro (Vista sux) on an Amd 2800+ on a Winfast 760GXT8MG Mobo that uses a Sis Mirage 760 Graphics Chip. I have the latest drivers for everything. The sound part is Analog Devices (not RealTek), but I don't think that's a problem (even though once in a GREAT while the sound just stops for no reason, whether I'm playing or not: all I have to do is go into standby and then start back up and everything works fine. Seems like Windows Ghost--thank you Mr. Bill!) I have not installed or uninstalled any programs lately, and I have good virus, firewall, and spyware protection updated daily and run full scans daily, and do the defrag and maintennance regularly.
I have tried deleteing the files from the Dynamic folder, as I read. I tried a few other fix-all's, but the change is already taken and the slowing and sometimes resetting in big battles continues.

"In the last analysis, it is our conception of death which decides our answers to all the questions that life puts to us." --Dag Hammarskjold
Support
Support

I don't recall anyone else reporting this problem....

There is a followup post in the hex editing topic with the heading 'Summoning Doll Unused Levels and Skill Points' (here) which describes how to edit those attributes (never tried the range or respawn duration skills).

Hex editing - gold, experience, stat/skill points

You could also just give your DK an extra 12 skill points, and re-invest them into the summoning doll upgrades.

Hex editing is not really that much more complicated then text editing, once you get used to the hex notation. Unlike surgery, you can screw up as many times as you need to in order to get the hang of it, as long as you backup the file and/or save folder first.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
OK. I have downloaded Hackman and printed out copies of both hex-editing posts. Before I start I will make a completely new save under a new name, then copy that to another location on my computer.

It's not really that I'm scared to try hex-editing. It reminds me of the first few HTML pages I wrote. But I didn't dive into the middle of a huge XHTML document and try to patch in a Javascript AD. But, now that you have provided me with two mini-manuals, I'll give it a try when things get quiet this weekend. Is there a book on hex-editing? I understand base sixteen, but don't know what the intent of the programmer was in creating the file: like the way a C++ program has different sections and calls objects and functions that are laid out in an orderly manner before it's compiled.

Oh, BTW: as to the thing with the ACT 2 dungeon last week, I got to playing again (I just gave up on that dungeon.) and made it through Act 3 (I have a lot of time on my hands and playing takes my mind off pain from my bum leg). This game is a great way to get "immersed". I have tried the demos of a BUNCH of games before div and there were just too many controls or too much that busted the bubble. Maybe my next game I'll try a Mage-Mage combo smirk .

Thanks for the help, and for all the answers I found already in the forum pages. biggrin
OOPS Something else just came in the mail: I ordered a new Mobo and proc combo on a big sale from Comp USA; a Dual Core 3800+ and board with better graphic and sound chips and x16 PCIe for $88.99! I'll have to spend the weekend installing that, reinstalling Windows (with a boatload of protection, tweaks, and patches {GROAN!}), then reinstalling the game and seeing about how to work out some of the problems the game seems to have on dual cores. Then I can edit my dollies.
(I've also seen the big dog video card of a year or so ago, the GeForce 8600 GT XXX, for under $100. I want that next.)

Second Edit: I don't believe this: While I was looking at which save file I wanted to fiddle around with, I noticed that the oldest of the five Quicksaves Larian so generously provided us with this time around was listing lower than the part where the trouble started. Sure enough, I loaded it, and both dollies were their old bad selves and it wasn't too far back in the game to make a problem. I saved THAT under a unique name. I feel like I have just been given a gift: learning from others' mistakes so I don't have to suffer, too.
I think I will attempt the hex editing, just for the experience. And, honestly, I think If I don't do it now I will always wonder... Of course, I will re-save the "corrupted" save under an altered name, then copy the whole file elsewhere before I start. Should be Interreessstttiiinnnngggggg.

Last edited by The Anti-Damian; 03/05/08 02:07 PM. Reason: I found a Quicksave that was still good

"In the last analysis, it is our conception of death which decides our answers to all the questions that life puts to us." --Dag Hammarskjold

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard