Print Thread
#352981 10/06/08 03:21 AM
D
dvdljns Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
I put all my points in survival because it helps regeneration but I think it is tied to something else also. what else effects regeneration. Is there a guide on that.

dvdljns #352993 10/06/08 01:49 PM
Support
Support

Survival is the major component of initiative, luck, regeneration and elemental resistances, and a minor component of accuracy.

Hit points are regained based on the square of regeneration, and are independent of constitution and vitality. Magic points are restored at a rate based primarily on Intelligence and partly on regeneration.

The math appendix of the Beyond Divinity Strategy Guide goes into the secondary stats a bit, and gives some general recommendations on stat point distribution.
There is a typo in the last formula in the 'other secondary stats' section; in the formula for evasion, the second term should be speed, rather than survival.

Raze #353057 12/06/08 01:28 AM
D
dvdljns Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Raze

Survival is the major component of initiative, luck, regeneration and elemental resistances, and a minor component of accuracy.
Yes all you have to do is put some points on it to see that.

Hit points are regained based on the square of regeneration, and are independent of constitution and vitality. Magic points are restored at a rate based primarily on Intelligence and partly on regeneration.

We will get backto this,since it is at the heart of my question.

The math appendix of the Beyond Divinity Strategy Guide goes into the secondary stats a bit, and gives some general recommendations on stat point distribution.
There is a typo in the last formula in the 'other secondary stats' section; in the formula for evasion, the second term should be speed, rather than survival.

Downloaded that but did not explain what is going on.

I was playing the game and got to the imp village. Was to the point where I was basically walking around killing things. I was putting my points into strength and agility on dk and agility,inteligence and adding a little on strength on my mage. I started spreading my points out more because I wasn't getting killed. Then my dk started healing real fast. even when his hp was half gone it amazed me how fast they refilled. I thought it was because I put points on survival and did not think much about it then my vidio card went out and I had to start a new game on one of my other computors I put most of my points on survival but to my surprise It does not seem to effect healing much. So I started doing research and can not find the reason my dk was healing at that speed. It is like I hit some magic number. It will be about a month before I can look at the stats on the old game but I was thinking maybe someone else could explain it.

I need to experment with points a lot more. my assumption was that if I did not put points on strength I would be killed faster but last night I Stopped in the middle of a fight and lit a cigarette then watched three skels beat on me They barely even effected my hp. I do not know if it has something to do with my resistance or what but I had just entered the first battlefeild so that means I got to this point faster than the first time around. The only thing that seems to really effect me is the spiders and then I can kill 3 of them without the dk's help. And still have half my hp left. I am not putting anything on strength or agility unless I have to. So I am using low grade weapons.

Is anyone else expermenting with points or is everyone just following the math.

dvdljns #353059 12/06/08 06:53 AM
Support
Support

Your healing rate really should not be fast enough to help during combat. If you take some damage and then go exploring or talk to some merchants, etc, your hit points may get topped off by the time you are done.

With a Survival value of 200 (much more than you could do in normal gameplay), you would have a Regeneration value of 100 (assuming no equipment bonuses, etc). When I checked this for the guide, I only saw 16 hit points recovered each minute. Even if I missed some other factor in hit point regeneration, during actual gameplay I never noticed significant healing over short time periods.

I'd like to know what kind of stats you had with your DK, but it sounds like you may have run into some kind of bug.

What difficulty level is your game at?
You can increase the difficulty level in the game menu, but if you raise it to hardcore it can not be lowered again.

In your new game, how did you do against the ghosts in the cells just before the arena?
The skeletons above ground in the BF are not particularly tough, that I recall (pretty much only used the BF for the merchants), but the ghosts should have at least been be challenging.

People have played high strength / low agility characters and vise versa, but I don't recall anyone reporting good success with low strength and agility. A high survival will help with elemental resistances and initiative (which can make a big difference in tough fights), but I would think a low agility would result in a lot of missed swings.

There are all kinds of ways to build viable characters in BD. I didn't do the math section for the strategy guide until after playing and establishing my characters. I adjusted stats as I went, and came up with something that worked for me (which I described a bit in Killing Fergus). Other people did the same thing, but came up with significantly different builds, even of the same character types. That is one of the reasons the recommendations on stat point distribution are a little vague in the guide.

That said, I don't recall anyone else bringing up a significantly different healing rate between different character builds or games.

Raze #353097 12/06/08 05:36 PM
D
dvdljns Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Like I said it will be a while before I can post those stats. The dks guarding the halls in this section are hard enough to kill. Every thing else is no problam. even the traps do not kill me but they come close. I allways try building my characters diferant ways. "It is a large part of the fun that you have so much leeway there." I like the way that skills was set up in dd better though. I am also not sure why they bothered with putting in plants for potions. I find way more potions then I need. All I need is combine. Locpick is a waste of points. You do not find enough permanant potions for them to be an issue one way or another. repair stops excepting points after 2 and I never found anything it repaired at that level,so I didn't bother with it this game. the summoning doll was an interesting way to carry more stuff but would have been better handled with a chest. It is a pain to pause the game to actavate it for a fight and it does not travel far enough to use any other way. I was sort of hoping this game had more dragons in it. dd that was the fun thing to fight but there was not enough of them. Maybe they got replced with something just as hard to kill.
Is there any resoning behind having locked barrels you cannot unlock surely thats a snuflu. Since I never solved the quests in the barracks on the other game I did not bother getting them this time.
I am saving the game at that point and when I get tired of killing stuff I will start the save game and solve them. at this point I am just looking for fights. my next game I do not think I will bother with the guard uniform.

dvdljns #353104 12/06/08 08:19 PM
Support
Support

I also found most of the things in the citadel to be relatively easy. The DK patrols were tough, and there is a ghost you can summon that can range from easy to quite difficult, depending on who gets the first hit in and whether you/it miss a couple times or hit consistently.
The traps in the hallway past the locked doors could kill me, but the summoning doll volunteered to go first. grin

I collected some alchemy plants, but didn't bother trying to create any potions until very late in the game (to make some permanent potions after buying holy water from the BF merchants).

You can learn higher levels of Repair. In act 1 the weapons officer in the drill grounds teaches it to level 5, and Brian in the BF teaches level 6 (in later acts he teaches higher levels).

The act 1 summoning doll can equip a crossbow, so kept out of harms way it can provide support for tough fights. Most of the time I just used it as a mule, but it came in handy once in awhile. Even when upgraded the summoning dolls do not get as strong as the main characters, though, so don't last particularly long in melee fights. They can help, though, and at least provide a distraction.

When looting I would activate a summoning doll and leave it in place, then continue with my main characters. Anything I would just sell I could drop directly on the doll's portrait, keeping my main characters unencumbered longer.
There is a skill to increase the range of the dolls, but I didn't bother with it until the after-game battlefields, which I didn't play for long.

The lock level for some of the barrels does seem a tad high. Some people collected locked barrels and stored them in the BF, so they could hopefully get them by the end of the act if they increased their Lockpick skill enough. I pretty much finished my first game before the patch was released that fixed Lockpick, so didn't have to worry about locked barrels. Too bad you can not just smash open locked barrels like you could in DD (though if it is trivial to do so that does kind of defeat the purpose of locking the barrels in the first place).

If you want to try solving the quests in the citadel you can go though wearing the citadel guard armour, and when you are done, remove the armour so everyone remaining turns hostile when they see you.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard