Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#353513 04/07/08 11:40 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well this is interesting. I've done some more exploring and i think I'm going to have to do a whole @$$load of backtracking. I'm so exited.

I went to Verdistas to explore a bit. Went around the outer edge of the entire town so i knew what i was working with. Then started to hit a few spots. Glanced around the Ducal Inn a bit. Also stopped by the guard house, and the Merchant's Guild. When i spoke to the guy that wants to kill Maria, i remembered that i had missed some quests back in the poor area of town. I had gotten around this far on my first play through but I hadn't been to Verdistas before. This was before i completely restarted on the new pc. Started it before on my extremely outdated pos.

Well anyway, i went back and did the rest of the small quests that i knew of or found. Went back and looked around Verdistas a bit. Came across George's murderer, the Vampire. Weird name that makes me think of Tutankhamen, Tutamun i think? Anyway. I don't know if this bug happened then or around then or what. I have a save right outside the wine merchant's house. Well anyway, i realized that most of the citizens on that side of town, walk around very quickly and randomly, then will at times suddenly sit down in a chair that flies out of their @$$ apparently, take a drink from a mug then go back to walking around, chair disappears again. Also when i go into the wine cellar and go to the vampire, the map does not reveal at all. There is a small sliver one way and another, but pretty much the entire map down there does not reveal at all.

I wish i could think a little more clearly about things i may have done there that could have caused a bug. But i did so much running around and exploring that i just did a little too much to think of one or two things i may have done. I would assume i must have done something funny inside of the Ducal Inn as they keep sitting down and drinking like they're in a tavern or something. The only two things i can think of at the moment are that i got caught by the guard snooping around once, and he kicked me outside. Then the other, that i think must have done it, is i talked to these two pervs.. well this one perv and his apparently retarded possibly also pervi friend, and i was standing in the doorway when they went to go to the bar. Well somehow the retarded one gets right by me but the other just goes nuts and runs into me about 20 times. It was kind of like watching a fly try to fly through a glass window. He just turned around in the same path umpteen times and ran into me before i finally clicked on him again to see what other conversation i could get from him, then finally was able to move so he could get by.

If nothing else i suppose i am going to have to go all the way back to the last save i have just outside Elrath's house before i turned him in. I think i did quite a bit of looking around, map opening, footwork and map noting. But i guess i know a bit more what to expect and can slow down this time if i have to redo going to Verdistas again. I suppose i was a bit excited at all the options and possibilities and just ran around like crazy. You'd think I'd learn at some point.
haha

Support
Support

I don't think it was anything you did which could have triggered this bug. People from the pub can wander out around Verdsitis and randomly sit down on suddenly appearing chairs. Some NPCs do walk around fairly quickly, that I recall. The pathfinding glitch with the guy in the Ducal inn should not have caused any problems.

If you head to the dark forest (or any unexplored places in Rivertown or Verdistis), does the fog of war reveal there? There are sewer entrances in a couple of the corners of the central park in Verdistis. Your character may be blind, a rare bug that can cause your sight range to drop or even become negative (possibly associated with mixing the sight skills and equipment sight skill bonuses, and removing that equipment under certain circumstances).

In this case, usually installing the patch will fix the problem.
Some re-release versions of the game may already be updated to the latest 1.0034A version, as shown in the bottom right corner of the main menu, so would not need to be patched. The DVD version is already updated, and the patch (designed for the CD version) should not be installed.

If you already have the latest game version, or the patch does not help, your sight range can be edited directly.

Some more hex offsets... (see also Teleporting Anywhere, via hex editor)

Alternately, you can learn and unlearn the sight skills to gradually build up your sight range, or give some equipment a sight bonus.
please help with my blind hero

If you cast Wizard's Sight twice in the same location (cast it a second time before the fog-of-war fills in again from the first) it will remain clear. You can hold the shift key down to move the screen focus away from your character and towards the area you want to clear, but I would not want to rely on this to clear any large areas.

Check your messages (click 'My Stuff' in the top menu bar, then 'My Messages').

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Raze
If you head to the dark forest (or any unexplored places in Rivertown or Verdistis), does the fog of war reveal there? There are sewer entrances in a couple of the corners of the central park in Verdistis. Your character may be blind, a rare bug that can cause your sight range to drop or even become negative (possibly associated with mixing the sight skills and equipment sight skill bonuses, and removing that equipment under certain circumstances).

Actually it has worked everywhere else. I think perhaps this particular area cannot be explored or you might have to use one of the skills to see more of this area. The first thing i did was went to a couple unexplored areas and found that i could reveal the fog there. But the cellar where you meet the vampire that killed George, it is this funny little strip. I noticed it looked quite exactly the same on Kiya's site. So perhaps that place is just so.

Originally Posted by Raze
Check your messages (click 'My Stuff' in the top menu bar, then 'My Messages').

Did you send me a message? I checked but i didn't see anything. Hmm. hehe. I tried to send a couple to you a little while ago, i got an email back from Larian though. Some type of update or issues they were having and are all fixed now. I couldn't post for a few days earlier. If you did end up receiving those i apologize. As usual i was too impatient to await the answer that was coming.
:n)

Support
Support

I did send a message, offering to hex edit your data.000 file if your hero was blind and the patch didn't help.

The vampire's hideout should be revealed, AFAIR, though It is fairly dark. If you switch the darkness setting in the graphics option to 50 and bump the gamma up a bit, does that help? (not that it really matters once you have defeated the vampire and gotten the boots from the chest)

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
It isn't the darkness, and i don't think it's blindness either. It's not that it's hard to see, the fog just isn't lifting at all aside from from the weird strip of map that it gave me as soon as i went down there.

Whenever i get around to wanting to waste some time with the skill or just get bored, i might wander back down there and see if i can get it to lift. As you said though it doesn't really matter much since i have already killed him and taken the boots. But it spiked my curiosity. It will bother me a bit if i don't figure it out but i don't care to the point that i will lose any sleep over it.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard