enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
will there be one??

das ist kein Wolf, sondern ein Sparschwein
apprentice
apprentice
i wouldn't mind having that smile

As long as it won't be an MMO and that you will be able to complete everything by yourself (so no co-op required for certain parts or area's)

E pensando di lei
Mi sopragiunse uno soave sonno
Ego dominus tuus
Vide cor tuum
old hand
old hand
We actually supported coop multiplayer for quite some time but had to sacrifice too much story depth to maintain it, so we put it on hold end of last year. It turned out that we would've had to make two games if we wanted to have a good single player experience and a good coop multiplayer experience, and that just wasn't doable with our team size.

apprentice
apprentice
maybe you could introduce that later on, in a big patch/addon ?

veteran
veteran
Maybe it would be possible to have some "assistance" system, players beeing able to "co-op" but only as muscle and guide. What I mean is that a player can invite a friend to co-op, but only the story/questline things work for the inviting player. Hence not having 2 games but the oportunity to help one and another.

It's one of these days...
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Lar_q
We actually supported coop multiplayer for quite some time but had to sacrifice too much story depth to maintain it, so we put it on hold end of last year. It turned out that we would've had to make two games if we wanted to have a good single player experience and a good coop multiplayer experience, and that just wasn't doable with our team size.

Does this mean there won't be a multiplayer mode?

veteran
veteran
Gotta love Ctrl+Alt+Del...

[Linked Image]

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Tulkas

Does this mean there won't be a multiplayer mode?

I think what tulkas say is more clear than the water... and i am happy with that decision.

Originally Posted by Draghermosran
Maybe it would be possible to have some "assistance" system, players beeing able to "co-op" but only as muscle and guide. What I mean is that a player can invite a friend to co-op, but only the story/questline things work for the inviting player. Hence not having 2 games but the oportunity to help one and another.

Yeah like in Diablo 2.
But i can easily accept the decision they made because i loved DD1 and it din't have COOP either..
I'd rather have a good singleplayer than a mediocre single and multiplayer.

journeyman
journeyman

Please, try to include it, buddy.

I would love to play the main campaign with 2 or more buddies. You shouldn´t mind about including the coop characters into the history or into cutscenes (halo 3 only shows 2 characters out of 4 in history and cutscenes, and it is hell of fun!!!).
I just wanna play with buddies the main history. That would double or triple the fun!

I would buy this game without thinkking if it features coop. Please, man, do it!!! laugh

Also, for the people complaining about COOP, I don´t see their point, cause no one is forced to play co-op, but those who want, like me and a lot of people, would do it.

I registered just to create a thread about coop mode, but then I saw this one!

Keep up the good work and think about coop!

Last edited by Rafoca; 25/08/08 10:33 PM.
Support
Support

The problem with a co-op mode is how it will effect the final game. Larian would either have to do two different versions of the game (which they don't have the resources for), or make restrictions to the game so that it will work as either a single player or multi-player game.

I suppose the easiest way to allow for multi-player without compromising the story or quest depth would be to have one person playing the main character, and any other players as secondary party members who can not get quests, etc. Alternately, any party member could be allowed to get quests, but they would effect everyone at once (ie once a conversation was started, all players would see that until it was finished, so there would be less chance of conflicts).
Either way it would add complexity to the game, for a feature that may or may not be well received by most people in the form it would have to be implemented in.

Welcome to the forum. wave

veteran
veteran
Weren't we promised co-op mode =/

Support
Support

We were originally told the game would have multi-player, but not what form it would take. At the time they were planning to have multi-player, but as Lar explained, they had to put it on hold in order to create a good single player game (story, quest depth, etc). He said on hold, rather than drop, so there may be some possibility of it being added later (perhaps an expansion pack, or something).

Maybe when they are finished with D2:ED, they can use the same engine, etc, and knock off a quick action-RPG (where there are no quest or story concerns to get in the way of multi-player support). As long as they don't waste too much time on that before getting started on DD3. grin

veteran
veteran
If they have to take co-op out of a good game to make sure it's a great game, I can honestly say I have NO problem with that! smile

Please click the banner...
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Raze

The problem with a co-op mode is how it will effect the final game. Larian would either have to do two different versions of the game (which they don't have the resources for), or make restrictions to the game so that it will work as either a single player or multi-player game.

I suppose the easiest way to allow for multi-player without compromising the story or quest depth would be to have one person playing the main character, and any other players as secondary party members who can not get quests, etc. Alternately, any party member could be allowed to get quests, but they would effect everyone at once (ie once a conversation was started, all players would see that until it was finished, so there would be less chance of conflicts).
Either way it would add complexity to the game, for a feature that may or may not be well received by most people in the form it would have to be implemented in.

Welcome to the forum. wave

I see your point and I agree.

As I said before, I really don´t care if the co-op players doesn´t have a main role. They could be only players that do everything, but are not part of the history. As long as the co-op players can level up, get armors, buy and sell, I really wouldn´t care (it´s better playing coop this way than not playing coop). BUt if the devs have not enough resources to allow more than 2 players playing simultaneously, while keeping a decent framerate and nice graphics, then I will understand the devs.

I really would like to play this game in coop mode. Think with me: at least on consoles, we still don´t have a game like that with decent coop mode... Two Worlds? Meh! Kingdom Under Fire? Big meh!

Coop has evolving a lot these times. I´ve never seen so many games in so many different styles that allow for cooperative play. It is amazing! A lot of people are married, have children or friends that wanna play together.

Last edited by Rafoca; 26/08/08 01:26 AM.
Originally Posted by Raze

Alternately, any party member could be allowed to get quests, but they would effect everyone at once (ie once a conversation was started, all players would see that until it was finished, so there would be less chance of conflicts).

Yes like in Diablo 2, i don't know how difficult that is to make it happen though.

Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane
If they have to take co-op out of a good game to make sure it's a great game, I can honestly say I have NO problem with that! smile

Agreed smile

P
stranger
stranger
P
Imo, no coop. I have always loved Larian's RPGs due to the immersion into the world they were able to give me, in single player. Especially with Divine Divinity, not quite the same with BD, but still. I don't think a co-op mode would be that great, unless it was made like Dungeon Siege's multiplayer mode. But even that wouldn't be as great as just the single-player experience the game could offer if Larian just focussed on that one. I mean, even a HUGE software house like Bethesda isn't working on multiplayer yet, and you want Larian Studios to do that. Naw... I don't think we need a co-op mode... yet. Divinity II sounds VERY interesting and innovative indeed, there's no need to add a co-op or multi-player mode. Maybe in Divinity III, who knows :P

"The attack came at the breaking of the dawn, the sky was turning from a pitch black shroud into a shimmering canopy of red and orange, the clouds were just hinting at the night’s final death knell."
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by PrecisionTime
Imo, no coop. I have always loved Larian's RPGs due to the immersion into the world they were able to give me, in single player. Especially with Divine Divinity, not quite the same with BD, but still. I don't think a co-op mode would be that great, unless it was made like Dungeon Siege's multiplayer mode. But even that wouldn't be as great as just the single-player experience the game could offer if Larian just focussed on that one. I mean, even a HUGE software house like Bethesda isn't working on multiplayer yet, and you want Larian Studios to do that. Naw... I don't think we need a co-op mode... yet. Divinity II sounds VERY interesting and innovative indeed, there's no need to add a co-op or multi-player mode. Maybe in Divinity III, who knows :P

The problem is that you are only thinkning in yourself frown

You wouldn´t be forced to play co-op mode, buddy. But those willing to do it, like me, would love to play coop.

I am just asking them to add another player to play coop... no need to make another separate story, no need for him to show on cutscenes... just throw another player in (think Diablo and Halo) smile

Originally Posted by Rafoca
The problem is that you are only thinkning in yourself frown

You wouldn´t be forced to play co-op mode, buddy. But those willing to do it, like me, would love to play coop.

I am just asking them to add another player to play coop... no need to make another separate story, no need for him to show on cutscenes... just throw another player in (think Diablo and Halo) smile

You talk like it's just switching on a button and coop appears.
Like i said i don't know what how much of an effort it is to make a coop but i doubt it's as easy as you make it sound.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard