Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#354804 12/08/08 08:52 AM
Tiptoe Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I know it's early days and not much is known about Divinity 2 yet, but has anybody heard if there are any plans to let players mod Divinity 2? Will there be some type of 'tool set' that will allow modders to create their own adventures?

I really love modding games (I actually think I have more fun modding them than playing them ). I have Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights 2 and The Witcher (and I'm waiting for Dragon Age).

To be honest, the main selling point of a single player game for me is the ability to mod it. So I really hope the Larians will let us mod Divinity 2.

Cheers

veteran
veteran
This question was already posted here, and Madawg from Larian answered it on the next page, though not with "Yes" or "No" ...

V
stranger
stranger
V

I'm with you Tiptoe. After playing an RPG through a few times, what's left? Modding! I've spent much more time recently modding than playing.

It seems from the quote from Madawg referenced by Lurker and from Lar directly in an interview with RPGWatch that an SDK (software development kit) is being seriously considered, after the game has been released. From Lar's comments and similar ones from Bethesda (Oblivion), the primary issue is cost. To make the game compatible with new content and develop a flexible and reliable SDK takes a lot of effort . Creating the basic documentation takes more effort, although seeding a user maintained Wiki may help. So the question becomes, is doing all this worth it from a business perspective?

I hope they decide that the answer is "yes". For reference, one site, TES Nexus, has nearly 20,000 mods for the game Oblivion. This certainly extends the active life of the game. It can also be a very rich source of ideas. Although Bethesda Softworks has many talented personnel, if you examined the most innovative 1% of the Oblivion mods, you would certainly find many ideas that the creators hadn't considered (that could influence the next game in the series). Is that enough to justify the expense of a SDK and documentation? I certainly hope so. smile

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard