Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
addict
addict
Or the hero's face split, left side human, right side dragon. Seems cliche though.

old hand
old hand
Or a half human half dragon face? or is that to classic?
The PC with the dragon standing on his rear legs behind him?
The PC during the transformation(i.e. Wings growing from his back, sharp teeth, a tail, but still human shaped)?

or just the Divinity 2 logo on a black background?

veteran
veteran
I have this idea.

Cover with a nice border and a black background. On the bottom you have the title. In that pitch black blackground only 3 thing light up. The 2 green/blue dragon/ghost eyes an below that a small flame. In short: a head on (apply directly to the forehead) shot of a dragon in the dark where only the eyes and a small flame from the mouth is visible. (I'll try to make a mock up). Gives the game a kind of mystique.

edit: just made a mockup, it was better in my mind frown.

Maybe the left eye can light up a bit of the human face and the right eye a bit of the dragon face.

Last edited by Morbo; 23/09/08 08:15 PM.

Not in the mood for cheese?
That excuse has more holes than a slice this fine Gorgombert!
old hand
old hand
player looking in a mirror and seeing a dragon.
Player and Dragon in a way it resembles a ying yang symbol.

Not easy to find something original. But it could/should reflect that the player has become what he hunted.

A
veteran
veteran
A
There is something like that on the cover of the last Quest for Glory game - but that was a different story.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
journeyman
journeyman
I understand the comments about the dual PC/dragon look being cliché or unoriginal, but when you think about the game, everything from the title to the focus of the excitement about the game seems to be the idea that the PC can transform into a dragon and that there are dragon battles, etc. They really do need to show this somehow on the cover.

Good ideas all; it'll be interesting to see what comes out of it.

Support
Support

I assumed the game cover would be similar to the cover art or vertical banner in the fansite kit (dragon behind dragonslayer). Something different could be to have a closeup of the dragonslayer's eyes along the very top edge, with the title just below it; the eyes could be (at least partly) between the dragon and sword symbol and the 'II'. The majority of the cover could then be the dragon, casting the shadow of a human. If there is room on the back of the box (or perhaps as a background image), you could have a dragonslayer casting the shadow of a dragon.
I don't know about 'cool', but this would be slightly less cliché than a mirror or split face design, anyway.

A
veteran
veteran
A
I would just expend the banner of this forum into the cover, it looks very, very, cool, imho.

Of course, it'll attract some action-RPG lovers who would slaughter even the villagers just to get MORE experience points ... So much about greed ...

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
recycling old idea here; cd/dvd box with a hard cover in front that displays the human/dragon with the eyes cut out as it shares the eyes with the picture at the back of the front box cover. the back of the cover shows the dragon/human with the actual eyes.

actually i like Raze's idea of the human with shadow of a dragon.

......a gift from LaFille......
Yeah so far I think the dragonslayer with the dragon shaped shadow is the best idea.

Another idea would be some kind of optical deception wherein the same image shows a dragon or a human depending on how you look it at.
I guess it would be nearly impossible to make it work and look cool, but if you could do that I think it would suit the game very well.

There is no spoon !
addict
addict
My fav so far is jang's cutout eyes suggestion. I like the shadow idea, but how to show it so that its clear what the shadow is?

lepel - hologram cover! can't be THAT expensive nowadays. i like.

veteran
veteran
hologram is quite a good idea. smile i think it will look great as the colour scheme of DD2 is dark overall.

another idea would be optical illusion. have the box stand upright & u see the human. flip it & u see the dragon. tricky, yeah, but i'm sure the artists can come up with something. evil

......a gift from LaFille......
veteran
veteran
The only problem with the dragon-as-shadow idea is that it would look like it's derived from the Dragonlance novels, where you could always spot a shape-changed dragon because of its shadow, IIRC.

Those novels being rather popular, a lot of people will assume a pinch.

Shame - because I have to admit I like the idea, otherwise.

The hologram idea is a good one - but might be rather expensive. Holograms were never cheap, to my knowledge, though that may well have changed as my knowledge is very out of date, here.

Please click the banner...
journeyman
journeyman
I like the dragon-as-shadow idea myself, especially if it's subtle. I prefer it over my more obvious suggestions, and would work better than the image of a dragon overlaid on the PC picture.

Does anyone think Larian could get away with not going with some sort of dragon pic? I think it'd be hard to do, considering the nature of the game, and the title, but perhaps we aren't thinking outside the box.

old hand
old hand
The edges of the box should look like pages with the exception of the one to be the binding. After all, there is gonna be a real load of text in this game. It isn't your average kill stuff, spend 25% of your time in equipment menus have an ending leaving you bored with the game or feeling it was too short.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lar_q
-We’re prepping ourselves for the voice recordings and subsequent animation work and I’ve had pity with the guys who have to prepare everything on the logistics side. There’s this one excel file containing around 131000 fields of data, and they have to make a plan for hiring actors and assigning voices to npcs out of that, preferably a plan that makes a lot of sense wink It’s another one of those RPG specific things – there’s a lot of text, especially if you add in things like multiple solutions and choices, and each piece of text, with the associated event flags, is an opportunity for things to go awry.

So, if there are about 130k Excel fields - does that only refer to the (spoken or not) texts in the game? Like X * 130k... about 300-400k words in total? (just a rough guess wink )

It would be nice to know if you plan to make voice over for all dialogues or if only a few selected lines will be recorded. Can you tell something about that already?

Nigel Powers: "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch!"
Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
We're actually starting the first record session this week and unless something is missing from that excel file, the plan is to have all dialogs recorded.

veteran
veteran
That sounds very promising. up

And about the numbers... I got it right I guess? We are not talking about 130.000 words but about 130.000 Excel fields? grin

Nigel Powers: "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch!"
Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Well, that excel file contains more than just text. One phrase is one field and no, we don't have 130K phrases, that would be a bit too much wink There's stuff in there like UUID's, actors etc...

A
veteran
veteran
A
Personally, I'd just keep a few lines from these actors who spoke prior to the GC - I mean what was shown there.

Just as a sign that their work was not in vain. wink

--Dilbert cartoon

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard