Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
How do you deal with no-magic areas when you want to play a magic-user?

There is a critical storyline quest under castle stormfist which disables magic, and the finale of the game disables magic.

If you are playing a magic-user, what exactly are you supposed to do?

And for that matter, how are you supposed to know that you need 4 levels of pick pocket to get the 'underneath castle stormfist' portion of the story unlocked? Was there meant to be another way here? Or do you just have to know that you must take the 4 ranks in order to finish the game?

addict
addict
You don't need four levels of pickpocket to join the thieves guild, just one, IIRC.

I just played though the stormfist castle bit with my mage the other day, and it was a huge pain, since I forgot that I couldn't use any skills. I drank all my strength potions, lured the orcs one at a time and finished them off with a melee attack (I had the bat of striking equipped), quaffing restoration potions all the while. I left the deatknight for last, and it took a while, but it worked. Sorry, I don't know of a loophole around the no-magic areas.

The finale, however, does not disable magic. The original unpatched game had a bug that caused a crash IIRC when magic was used, but this has been corrected in later patches.

Last edited by flixerflax; 15/12/08 05:48 AM.
Support
Support

In the castle treasure room area, before the section with the orcs, there is a room with a couple tables worth of potions. The 3 shadow potions can allow you to get past the orcs, talk to Zandalor, leave to explore the vault and then return, without any combat.

You get the quest to rescue Zandalor after entering the castle by invitation, getting tossed out and making your way out of Iona's dungeon (Arhu approaches as you exit into the graveyard). You only need level 1 of Pickpocket to join the thieves' guild, and level 2 if you want to 'cheat' a bit with the plague victims quest (see spoiler below). I managed to find an item with a Pickpocket bonus, and bought another, so didn't need to use any skill points for that.
There are 3 people in the quarantine area, with only 2 cure potions. After giving someone a potion, you can either kill them or use Pickpocket to get the potion back, and then give it to the third person.

Joining the thieves' guild is not required for any main plot quests, just the holy item quest and the one for Corinna. Rob will mark some locations on your map if you join (including the castle treasure room entrance), but you can find them easily enough yourself.

Welcome to the forum. wave

stranger
stranger
the cure potions can be stacked and duplicated instead of killing him or pickpocket

=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=
new member of Larian
hello!

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard