Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#359203 21/01/09 03:53 PM
OP Offline
Hi all,

I was just looking at website homepage, and at the bottom it lists PC DVD-Rom, I assume as the media of choice that the game will be distributed.

I PRAY that by whatever means, QA tests this on as many drives as possible. I personally had issues with Rise of the Argonauts, and never found a resolution, had to return the game, and then do a digital download. I am hearing about many more folks that are having issues as well with various DVD-Rom games, even with fairly new to latest drives. I have an HP HDX with a LG super-Multi double layer drive...less than a year old rig. You would think this wouldn't be an issue.

At least provide for option of digital download to cover the all the bases. I always prefer to have discs, cause you never know what can happen. Just a recommendation/request.

SheaOhmsford #359204 21/01/09 04:09 PM
veteran
veteran
If I understand it correctly, the problem is most usually nothing to do with the game and everything to do with the type of copy protection used by the game.

Functionally for the user there's no difference, I know.

(Welcome to the forum, BTW smile )

Please click the banner...
Elliot_Kane #359205 21/01/09 05:39 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane
If I understand it correctly, the problem is most usually nothing to do with the game and everything to do with the type of copy protection used by the game.

Functionally for the user there's no difference, I know.

(Welcome to the forum, BTW smile )

Yeah, I kinda gathered that from looking into problems with that other game, but nothing definitive. The game worked fine on my wife's HP laptop, slightly older, with a different DVD drive in it, so it is also drive compatability as well(I think). Regions, capabilities (OEM specs) all simililar or the same. Just one of those things that I couldn't get to the bottom of. But since it was the wife's laptop, and she uses it extensively, that was not an option for me.

Also, thanks for welcome, but if you look at my join date, I've been lurking for quite some, always checking on progress, but posting very little. smile

Is reality just a fantasy?
SheaOhmsford #359207 21/01/09 07:25 PM
veteran
veteran
Heh. First time I saw one of your posts, so I figured a welcome was due. I guess you have been here just a LITTLE while, though laugh

Please click the banner...
Elliot_Kane #359830 16/02/09 07:39 PM
W
stranger
stranger
W
My main problem with digital downloads is the absence of a manual. I'd be willing to pay extra for a really comprehensive manual, but even game manuals that come with the game dvd seem to get skimpier and less useful all the time. Also, what happens if you lose your internet connection in the middle of a download? Or if, after downloading the game, you have to wipe your hard drive, because of a virus, for example? I've had some dvd problems too, but I'd rather have something substantial like a disc than nothing at all. Of course, if Divinity 2 was available only digitally, I'd download it despite my misgivings. By the way, is it going to be available digitally as well as on dvd?

walter61939 #359837 16/02/09 08:45 PM
Support
Support

I also prefer to have a manual. Most people don't read them, though, so some publishers / game companies don't want to get too elaborate.

You should be able to either resume a broken download or re-start the download if you loose your connection. It depends on the service how long after purchase you can re-download (I believe Steam allows multiple downloads without a time limit). I would want to burn the install program to disk for a backup, though, even with the ability to download it again.

My main concern with digital downloads (other than simply preferring to have a physical product) is online authentication. Steam probably isn't going to disappear anytime soon, but I have several games sitting on a shelf waiting to be played from companies and/or publishers that went out of business. With a physical disk I can still install and play these games; with digital downloads I could be out of luck. There are places like Good Old Games that sell games without any DRM (and allow multiple downloads). Newer games are less likely to be free of copy protection, but at least some publishers seem to be starting to pay attention to the negative publicity caused by the more draconian copy protection schemes.

There has been no official mention either way of a download for D2:ED. Beyond Divinity is available for download (from GamersGate) and they mentioned DD was in the works, so Larian at least isn't opposed to the concept.

Welcome to the forum. wave

Raze #359873 17/02/09 08:04 PM
W
stranger
stranger
W
Thanks for the welcome and for the info, Raze. I'm one of those people who reads game manuals cover to cover and then keeps them at hand to consult while playing. At the very least you'd expect a game manual to include all the keystrokes used in the game, but some of them don't even do that anymore.

walter61939 #359876 17/02/09 08:07 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
There's usually a manual on the dvd as well, which you could print out and use. I don't know if this goes for digital downloads as well, but I'd reckon so.

swordscythe #359882 17/02/09 09:28 PM
stranger
stranger
I have actually used Steam quite a bit. You can Download the games from steam as often as you want, on multiple computers even. Their system is just that to play the games you must be logged into your account. It's really rather nice. I have gone to a friends house and logged into steam there, downloaded a game to show it to him. I've gotten used to the idea of digital downloads, even though there are certain games I want a hard copy of. Ego Draconis is one that I intend to have in physical form. I do think it would be cool to see Ego Draconis released on steam though.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard