Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 26 1 2 24 25 26
enthusiast
enthusiast
I wouldn't say it was dead but consoles do seem to be the preferred format by developers and publishers as the industry shifts to more 'casual' games. There's still life in the PC yet - some PC games just don't work on a console and vice versa. Traditional RPG's are still best on a PC; that's my opinion. Action RPG's like Ego Draconis, yes, work fine on both formats and there is nothing wrong with consoles whatsoever. I own a PC and a console and own games on both.

I wouldn't put RPG's and CRPG's on the scrap heap just yet though - there's some more in development for release later this year and next. As I put in my previous post, smaller developers who make good creative games seem to get their efforts overlooked by the tide of mediocre cash-cow guff and / or big games from the big companies. Consoles definitley have the edge and market share here.

A lot of those games you mentioned are PC exclusives BTW wink

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

veteran
veteran
Just finished Witcher 2 and it is a fantastic game. Definitely adding it to my list of best CRPGs.

Please click the banner...
enthusiast
enthusiast
How long does it take to finish? I heard it was around 40 hours (DKS was 100 hours) but there is a lot more content compared to the previous game. Just read a few reviews which more or less said the developers had put the effort in to make the PC version more of just a console port. It's nice when you see this; the Xbox whilst a good system is nearly 6 years old now. A modern PC can easilly do much more and it's good to see a PC game that isn't limited to old hardware as a port would be.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

veteran
veteran
Arokh,

No console is capable of the graphics used in Witcher 2, especially at best settings. While it can be run at lower settings on most PCs, you need a pretty high end system to run it at best. The level of fine detail is incredible. The current gen consoles are just too old to compete. There MAY be a console version in development (I'm not sure), but W2 is clearly aimed at PC gamers first, foremost and only. Any console version is never going to look half as good as the PC version.

As for length, well, that kind of depends, as there are a lot of choices you get to make that have extremely significant impacts on the plot and how it unfolds. It probably is about 40 hours to play through once, but the replay value is very high. Because you aren't choosing between 'good' and 'evil' options, there's simply no reason not to take another route through the game next time. There are multiple options for resolving many of the quests, too. Talking is frequently a better option than violence, in fact.

None of this is to say the game has no flaws. Of course it does. But they are minor in relation to the whole. I would recommend the game to anyone who won't be put off by the 'strong sex, strong violence' warning on the label.

Please click the banner...
veteran
veteran
"All best game ever" for me depends on the following thing (it plop up in my mind this morning, so suddenly wink ) :
The best game ever for me is that kind of game (I play always RPG's, in the past more "adventures") that sweets my playstyle best !
So this is my personal "testcase" to say that game I give 4/10, the other 7/10 and so on ... but I prefer to say it in words : good, fantastic, a gem, etc ...

The thing is that the Divinity games are so far the ones that suits my RPG style best !
The first things I look at in a RPG are : Skills & Spells + skill system, Quests, how to build-up-my hero (stats & gear/equipment), lootsystem, story, replayability, NPC's, music, alchemy & other kind of RPG elements (crafting, enchanting, charms...), combatsystem, ...
And last but not least the "atmosphere" in a game. A game full of Fantasy takes more often my attention than a RPG that's (for example) almost like in real life! Like the enemies are : I prefer to kill Goblins and other monsterious creatures above killing (innocent) humans/women/children !

So on each RPG element I have my own preferences and graphics are mostly less important in comparing with the most basic RPG elements !

Following RPG's that make my attention (so far) are :
TES V Skyrim, Kingdoms of Alamur : Reckoning, Hunted: the Demon's Forge, The Witcher II, Diablo III, Dark Souls, ... and more .... and for sure last but not least Larian's new projects D & E !!

EDIT :and at home some RPG's are still waiting at me : Risen (level 10 or so now), Arcania (level 5), Two Worlds II (just started) and maybe I forget one ...

Last edited by Joram; 15/06/11 12:01 PM. Reason: see EDIT

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
stranger
stranger
My all time favorite is DD. I was like 11 years old when I buyed that game but the box looked so epic that I wanted it. Such a great world, so many quests and as of today I haven't found a game that could match up DD. Oh, and the addiction level is beyond all proportions laugh

(Only a few years later I found out that the game was from a Belgian studio. Aw yea!)

And the music is just Amazing! And that counts for DKS aswell!

Through the years i've became an FPS gamer and less RPG player. But I did played some and here are my favorites:

1. Divine Divinity
2. Dragon Age Origins Awakening
3. Divinity DKS

I haven't tried fallout yet. Going to play it in the summer vacation when I got more time. Never tried a fallout game... Same counts for Fable. And Beyond Divinity. :x

Elders Scroll Oblivion: I played it a year ago but for some reasons I wasn't a big fan of it. Didn't played it that long though. Might give it a shot again this summer.

Dragon Age 2: Well they screwed up pretty bad. I don't even know how I played that for 5 hours. A whole different game compared to the first one. It missed the DA1 feeling.

Oh Two Worlds II: That was a pretty good game imo. But it was getting repetitive, haven't finished the game. And it had some annoying bugs (horse riding).

Last edited by tiediiee; 15/06/11 01:02 PM.
veteran
veteran
For some personal reasons I still prefer DD above DKS, so my first and all time favorite RPG is Divine Divinity ! My second for sure now the DKS !
Still, after all the years I played DD, it remains very addictive ! biggrin So addictive that this is the only game in my life I played more than ones till next morning eek ... when the sunlight wakes me up, out of a loooong Dream that is Rivellon ...

I don't love guns, so all FPS I don't wish to play, even it is a shooter with lots of great RPG elements !

O yes, forgot to mention : Oblivion is also still waiting at me ... but the problem with Oblivion I have is that leveling up system that, after a few "attemps", can't take my attention for long ...
I can't say Oblivion is bad, not at all, but not a RPG that suits my personal RPG preferences best, so simple it can be smile . At some time I try it again, ... ever ... or maybe never ...

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
stranger
stranger
After reading some of these pages I searched for Witcher 2. I must say it looks nice. Might give it a try. :p

journeyman
journeyman
Personally, my favorites are (In no particular order): Dragon Age, Fallout, Fallout 3, Fallout: NV, Oblivion, Morrowind, Divinity 2, Infinite Undiscovery, Blue Dragon, FF10, FF10-2, FF7, Fable, Fable 2, Zelda: TP, Zelda: OoT, Star Wars: KotOR, Rune Factory, Demon's Souls, Chrono Cross, Pokemon Emerald, Pokemon Firered, Kingdom Hearts, Breath of Fire, Legend of Dragoon, Neverwinter Nights 2, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect, The Witcher, Deus Ex

And when it comes out, add Skyrim to that. ^^;

old hand
old hand
div2 DRAGON FORM BABY LOL

FINAL FANTASY VIII & X (but I do like them all.....except XIII's battle system mad )

MASS EFFECT (the whole series)

OBLIVION

DISGAEA 1,2 & 3

GRANDIA

DRAGON QUEST

ZELDA OCARINA OF TIME

INFINITE UNDISCOVERY

LOST ODYSSEY

VANDAL HEARTS II

KINGDOM HEARTS 1 & 2

STAR WARS KOTOR 1&2

FABLE 1,2 & 3

I could go on forever but that's enough for now these are the one's I love the most

Page 26 of 26 1 2 24 25 26

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard