Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: May 2003
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: May 2003
Hello.

Been a good while since I've asked about this. Watching the video from the thread http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=365624#Post365624 at about the 3:30part it shows what made my heart sink into my gut. The main character jumps like Sonic the Hedgehog. I've found this horridly annoying in many new games and haven't bought them due to this.

Is this going to be removed? Or does this only happen when the main character jumps off a cliff to turn into the dragon or something like that?


Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Its probably too late to be removed.
I think you can jump like that anywhere.
As the character is very agile.

To be honest It doesn't really bother me.


Joined: Mar 2003
A
veteran
Offline
veteran
A
Joined: Mar 2003
This has led me to the suspicion that everyone believes now that div2 is a very, very fast game.


When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Netherlands
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Netherlands
I don't think you have to jump all the time. It's just a lot easier to get from A to B in a straight line by jumping over the obstacles. And I guess that when it is the third time you run through an area, you don't care much for taking the longer scenic route anymore smile


See me @ The Locus Inn & RPGWatch
Joined: Nov 2008
W
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
W
Joined: Nov 2008
Originally Posted by Myrthos
I don't think you have to jump all the time.

You haven't played WoW, eh? grin

Oh and seriously, this Sonic-jump is ridiculous. OK, he is agile but come on, no one jumps like that in a 20+ kg suit.

Joined: May 2003
Location: Wandering
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: May 2003
Location: Wandering
Personally I'm not a fan of jumping in these kinds of games, and don't miss it except when I have to walk all the way around a 5 inch high fence (as in the Witcher).

The sonic jump is dumb, but it's only cosmetic. I'm more worried about the necessity of jumping in exploring the game world and to succeed in combat.

Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Larian Studios
Offline
Larian Studios
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

When this originally came up Lar said he would at least consider the issue. Even if they didn't make any changes, I think this would be something I could easily get used to after playing a bit, and just ignore it. The somersault looks fine as part of a jumping attack, IMO.

Joined: Jul 2009
Location: USA
member
Offline
member
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: USA
I have no problem with being able to jump, lol. If anything, I think it will serve to improve your agility in combat. Besides, it is not like you are going to just be jumping unless you need to anyway. So what if he flips when he jumps? It is not going to take away from the game. It is still a full fledged RPG. Some action game like elements will only make it more fun in my opinion.

Joined: Jul 2009
M
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
M
Joined: Jul 2009
+1 for creative new reason why not to buy a game.

Joined: Dec 2006
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Dec 2006
The way it works now is that in the beginning of the game you have a regular jump and later(as you progress to becoming a dragon knight), your jumping abilities become much more agile.

Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Catalunya/Spain
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Catalunya/Spain
Originally Posted by Lar_q
The way it works now is that in the beginning of the game you have a regular jump and later(as you progress to becoming a dragon knight), your jumping abilities become much more agile.


PERFECT! welcome

Joined: May 2004
Location: Canada
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: May 2004
Location: Canada
Originally Posted by Lar_q
The way it works now is that in the beginning of the game you have a regular jump and later(as you progress to becoming a dragon knight), your jumping abilities become much more agile.


Is this automatic (there's only one "jump" available at all times) or do you have a choice of jumping forms later on (i.e. you set the type of jump you want to use)? Is it just the look of the jump that changes or does the new agility add new ability (jump higher, faster, further, etc)?

Joined: Mar 2009
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Mar 2009
this is ridiculous!
if you dont like the jump, then dont jump...
how simple is that?

Joined: Apr 2005
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2005
It's too simple. With that logic, if you didn't like some combat animation, you shouldn't fight at all?

In a CRPG, atmosphere matters a lot for many people, and in my eyes, doing somersaults with plate armour and a two-hander strapped on your back can kill the atmosphere. Yes, there is magic in the world of Rivellon, but the somersaults apparently don't require or consume any magical energy. Since I haven't played the game yet, I can't tell for sure - however, it might feel like you're not playing a hero anymore, but a super-hero without a cape who is out of place in this fantasy world.

I'd like to switch off the somersaults if that's possible. But if it's not, I wouldn't want to run around for minutes to avoid a somersault jump, either.

Joined: Jul 2009
Location: USA
member
Offline
member
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: USA
Originally Posted by Lurker
It's too simple. With that logic, if you didn't like some combat animation, you shouldn't fight at all?

In a CRPG, atmosphere matters a lot for many people, and in my eyes, doing somersaults with plate armour and a two-hander strapped on your back can kill the atmosphere. Yes, there is magic in the world of Rivellon, but the somersaults apparently don't require or consume any magical energy. Since I haven't played the game yet, I can't tell for sure - however, it might feel like you're not playing a hero anymore, but a super-hero without a cape who is out of place in this fantasy world.

I'd like to switch off the somersaults if that's possible. But if it's not, I wouldn't want to run around for minutes to avoid a somersault jump, either.


It's a magical fantasy world in a video game for crying out loud. You know, a world where you can experience things that simply are not possible in real life? Are you really going to nit pick about armor being to heavy to jump in because it goes against the laws of physics in real life? Maybe it is just me, but something so trivial certainly is not going to take away from my immersion in this grand world they have obviously worked so hard to bring to us. I suppose to each their own, though.

Joined: Jul 2009
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Jul 2009
Totally agreeing with you Ironcreed smile

Joined: Apr 2005
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2005
Originally Posted by ironcreed
It's a magical fantasy world in a video game for crying out loud. You know, a world where you can experience things that simply are not possible in real life? Are you really going to nit pick about armor being to heavy to jump in because it goes against the laws of physics in real life? Maybe it is just me, but something so trivial certainly is not going to take away from my immersion in this grand world they have obviously worked so hard to bring to us. I suppose to each their own, though.


The mere existence of magic in a fantasy world doesn't mean everyone is able to do everything effortlessly. And especially because Larian has presumably put a lot of effort into creating a believable, detailed world, they should also pay attention to details like this one.

Even if we assume that by becoming a dragon knight, the well-trained human character gains superhuman strength and agility that he/she can use without spending mana, why should he/she want to brag about his/her superhuman abilities with each and every jump? With a rogue-like approach to your character and when often relying on stealth, staying undetected or unnoticed, the show-style jumping is especially silly.

So yes, it's a detail, but no, it's not trivial.

Joined: Jul 2009
Location: USA
member
Offline
member
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: USA
Originally Posted by Lurker
Originally Posted by ironcreed
It's a magical fantasy world in a video game for crying out loud. You know, a world where you can experience things that simply are not possible in real life? Are you really going to nit pick about armor being to heavy to jump in because it goes against the laws of physics in real life? Maybe it is just me, but something so trivial certainly is not going to take away from my immersion in this grand world they have obviously worked so hard to bring to us. I suppose to each their own, though.


The mere existence of magic in a fantasy world doesn't mean everyone is able to do everything effortlessly. And especially because Larian has presumably put a lot of effort into creating a believable, detailed world, they should also pay attention to details like this one.

Even if we assume that by becoming a dragon knight, the well-trained human character gains superhuman strength and agility that he/she can use without spending mana, why should he/she want to brag about his/her superhuman abilities with each and every jump? With a rogue-like approach to your character and when often relying on stealth, staying undetected or unnoticed, the show-style jumping is especially silly.

So yes, it's a detail, but no, it's not trivial.


What is or is not trivial is in the eye of the beholder, friend. I imagine most who are anticipating this game will spend far more time enjoying the game itself, focusing on the overall positives as a whole. While others will spend more time scrutinizing every detail of the game, thereby limiting their enjoyment thereof.

Not every gamer has to have every fine little detail fined tuned to be an exact replica of physics as they apply in the real world. Most just want to play an enjoyable, memorable game. Again, though, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as are the rest of us who will spend more time playing the game rather than trying to pick apart what ever faults it may or may not have.

Joined: May 2003
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Joined: May 2003
Wow didn't expect any replies to this.

Iron, there needs to be a level of believability in all things. If someone with 20kg of armor can jump and do a flip, how much higher and farther would he be able to jump if he just jumped? Though as for jumping in itself, it can be fun to do jump attacks on enemies and to get over obstacles.

It's more of a cliche thing, everyone has the main hero trying to jump like Sonic the Hedgehog. Not that I'm bashing Sonic, just let the jump flips for Sonic to do, and Dragon Ball Z characters to do where reality doesn't exist at all. I love Larian games because of this reality factor in "yeh that can be possible" and npc's seem to be real with their own life story. Jumping like Sonic will severely degrade this Atmosphere for me, an atmosphere Larian worked hard to create since DD. There is a reason why I've check this place since 2005 on this game, usually I lose interest after a few months or no news.

Now as it being more of a progressive thing like Lar said, it won't be nearly as bad for my experience with the game. Having to unlock the feature as you gain strength and power, especially when you gain the power to transform into a Dragon. I'm hoping Dragon Morphing is a painful experience at least the first time, like it was for Link turning into a wolf in Zelda: Twilight Princess. Imagine the bones growing and twisting and wings smashing threw you back and the tail which would be a real pain in the... um.. yeh. Anyway.

Other realities that I'm overlooking (it would really drag out the game if they were not there)
Able to carry a ton of crap in Divinity 1 (too much running around work)
Able to defeat a ton of monsters pounding on you (be too sniper like working on 1 at a time)
Always able to run. (the game would probably take 2x as long to play threw and you'd get bored)
Morphing into a Dragon (this is exciting actually, and was a skill in DD to transform)
Healing from one nights rest. (I wish I had this ability, takes me a good 2 weeks to recover from running a marathon frown )

Last edited by LightningLockey; 20/07/09 07:13 PM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: USA
member
Offline
member
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: USA
Oh, I understand the perspective you are coming from regarding the jumping with armor not being realistic. As I always tend to view something from another's point of view when I disagree. I just suppose that I am not nit-picky enough to let something like that take away from the overall atmosphere of a game world that is fantastical in the first place. I usually just get so immersed in the story of an RPG, something like the armor being to heavy to jump in does not even cross my mind.

All this being said, though, everyone is indeed different. I can only speak for myself. All I was trying to stress in my previous post is that what is trivial or not trivial is simply in the eye of the beholder and what may be a critical issue for some, will not even be a passing thought for others. Though that is common sense, yes? smile

Anyway, I think we are all looking forward to the game itself. In the end, that is what matters here. up

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5