Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
addict
This reminds me of a lot of games in which you can swim while wearing plate armor. I never saw anyone say it ruined the game though. Like Ironcreed, I think it best to ignore little details like this if you don't like them. It'll hurt your experience with the game even more if all you do is think about it.

Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo
"Everything I encounter serves as the perfection of wisdom that leads to enlightenment."
A
veteran
veteran
A
In Dungeon Master, I think I've read, one even gets a few health points decreased just by bumbing into a wall.
Or into other objects.

Now THAT was focusing on detail !

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ironcreed
What is or is not trivial is in the eye of the beholder, friend. I imagine most who are anticipating this game will spend far more time enjoying the game itself, focusing on the overall positives as a whole. While others will spend more time scrutinizing every detail of the game, thereby limiting their enjoyment thereof.

If you just "focus on the overall positives", you might be able to enjoy even bad games, as almost every game will have a few positive points. Not that I'm expecting div2 to be a bad game, but a game should also have as few negative points as possible. And paying attention to details can actually add to the game experience, though you are certainly entitled to your own style of playing.

Not every gamer has to have every fine little detail fined tuned to be an exact replica of physics as they apply in the real world. Most just want to play an enjoyable, memorable game. Again, though, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as are the rest of us who will spend more time playing the game rather than trying to pick apart what ever faults it may or may not have.

No-one has suggested "to have every fine little detail fined tuned to be an exact replica of physics as they apply in the real world". And "the rest of us" may not be as many as you seem to believe, since both in this thread and in another one (starting here), several people have voiced their concerns with the somersault jumps.

Originally Posted by Rythok
This reminds me of a lot of games in which you can swim while wearing plate armor. I never saw anyone say it ruined the game though. Like Ironcreed, I think it best to ignore little details like this if you don't like them. It'll hurt your experience with the game even more if all you do is think about it.

I don't know whether this is a major or a minor detail, as I haven't played the game, but in the Leipzig Games Convention video, jumping seemed to be important in order to quickly get from A to B. And I will find it hard to ignore that my character is constantly doing somersaults when simple jumps would have been more effective and less dangerous, with a far higher chance to go unnoticed.

Details like this one also play a part in the visual style of a game, and in my eyes those somersaults better fit to other genres.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Lurker
If you just "focus on the overall positives", you might be able to enjoy even bad games, as almost every game will have a few positive points.

I agree. One could try very, very hard to "bad-mouth" something. Just pretend to be blind towards the positive sides. Just pretend they just aren't there. None at all.

I think this is just the result of bitterness, bad experiences, or whatever. I can try very hard and say that Drakensang is a totally buggy game, that is just a point of how hard I try it so.

Me, I'm buying games I want to enjoy.

Therefore I lower my expectations.

I have often fared very well with that kind of attitude. Often I could even enjoy a mediocre game, just by focusing myself in the positive points that were important to me.

I have sometimes the feeling that the younger generations are demanding too mnuch.

"Give me *everything* now, in best condition, with the lowest price and hand it over to me NOW ! Or I'll cry out and tell everyone how bad you and your product are !"

In principle, this is nothing but blackmail.

Think about it. Maybe in 20 years you'll see things different. If you can wait until then. And maybe you'll see then, how the attitudes and the bahaviour of many gamers have just BEEEPED up the whole gaming industry.

This is what I believe right now.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
In Dungeon Master, I think I've read, one even gets a few health points decreased just by bumbing into a wall.
Or into other objects.

Now THAT was focusing on detail !

Hehe, this is giving me some ideas... biggrin

We are all whinning about this jump but when the game comes out I bet that I won't stop jumping just to see this somersault in action...

What is or is not trivial is in the eye of the beholder, friend. I imagine most who are anticipating this game will spend far more time enjoying the game itself, focusing on the overall positives as a whole. While others will spend more time scrutinizing every detail of the game, thereby limiting their enjoyment thereof.

If you just "focus on the overall positives", you might be able to enjoy even bad games, as almost every game will have a few positive points. Not that I'm expecting div2 to be a bad game, but a game should also have as few negative points as possible. And paying attention to details can actually add to the game experience, though you are certainly entitled to your own style of playing.

Not every gamer has to have every fine little detail fined tuned to be an exact replica of physics as they apply in the real world. Most just want to play an enjoyable, memorable game. Again, though, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as are the rest of us who will spend more time playing the game rather than trying to pick apart what ever faults it may or may not have.

No-one has suggested "to have every fine little detail fined tuned to be an exact replica of physics as they apply in the real world". And "the rest of us" may not be as many as you seem to believe, since both in this thread and in another one (starting here), several people have voiced their concerns with the somersault jumps.

I agree with you that the more detail the better the experience, as that is a given. I was merely implying that I think most who are anticipating this game will be satisified if the overall package itself is solid and will not let details such as being able to do agile jumps in heavy armor detract from their experience with the game. I mean, if you use that logic you might as well keep on going and complain that you are able to turn into a dragon or perform magic. Afterall, how realistic is that? Far more unrealistic than being able to jump in armor, that's for sure, lol.

In regards to my statement in which I said, "the rest of us will enjoy the game", all I was referring to is the rest of us who do not let such intricate details dampen the overall experience. Which in my opinion will be most. As I think most just want an enjoyable, overall solid game.

However, I will say yet again, I am just speaking for myself here, as we all are. But, I do know that not everyone share these same concerns and those will agree that nit picking over such matters is indeed trival. Just because it may be so for you and a few others here, it does not mean that it will be a bad mark on the game for everyone else. That's all I'm saying. In that sense, it is all in the eye of the beholder.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the game. I hope we all do, as it looks very promising.

S
S
Well, in Divinity I you could attack relentlessly without ever needing to stop :P

addict
addict

Details like this one also play a part in the visual style of a game, and in my eyes those somersaults better fit to other genres.

I actually agree with you on that point, although my opinion might change once I play the game. I still think it's just details though, as with almost everything graphical. They make the experience much better but they are not essential for incredible gameplay. I simply believe that if you don't like a simple detail as the jumping animation, it would be sad that you miss what could potentially be a great game overall because of it. The somersault will not make the dialogues bad, or the story stupid.

Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo
"Everything I encounter serves as the perfection of wisdom that leads to enlightenment."
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by SirChronos
Well, in Divinity I you could attack relentlessly without ever needing to stop :P

One thing I love with the latest Zelda games is Link having his sword swings blocked and able to really block enemy attacks with his shield.

That game didn't have the mechanics to work in such a manner. And with this game so close to release, that it if isn't in there now, I doubt it will be in it at all. Though games where it doesn't have it in there are still usually quite fun.

Changing into a dragon is impossible. Dragons themselves were believed not to exist until one was found frozen in a cave. Cool documentary that aired on the discovery channel, think it's called dragons if you'd look it up. Few knights were even found killed by fire in the cave.

With the existing story line, at least 100 years ago there was a magic skill and items to transform you or monsters into another creature. Basically that carries over and it seems to change the human form itself once you become a Dragon.

As for games with poor reviews. One that I've enjoyed alot was Castlevania 64. The main character couldn't swim, armor too heavy. He jumped pretty high, but didn't do flips. And an effective attack, which I'm sure to attempt in this game, was to jump and slash at the enemies. They usually attacked as if the main character was on the ground. Of course I'd get to the monster without sustaining any damage upon a successful attack. That is another reason why I don't want to see the main character act like a blue hedgehog for Dragon Ball Z wanna-be ninja.

This is how I plan to attack some monsters, especially when they are giants. In some of these games where the main character takes the wanna-be role of Sonic the Hedgehog, they cannot attack while jump somersaulting. Do a flip and slammed by an enemy instead of just jumping like a normal human being and cutting the opponents head off (or jamming the sword down his/her throat, what ever works best).

I find War hammers most fun with this method of attack.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 21/07/09 04:14 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
enthusiast
enthusiast
^ I think you're 'jumping' to conclusions (excuse the bad humor) and you might just be pleasantly surprised when the game comes out. smile

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Possibly, I have played enough games to make me absolutely hate the "Sonic jumping" more than I hate bad lag on an online game.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
enthusiast
enthusiast
that mean you played WoW?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard