Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
veteran
veteran
A
Interestingly, Divinity 2 doesn't bear the "games for windows" logo, at least not here.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
stranger
stranger
It's not Blizzard's fault that I just find combat oriented games to be more fun.

Last edited by Patrunjelu; 11/08/09 08:14 PM.
A
veteran
veteran
A
Yes, but the majority does this always - and they are the mass buying games nowadays.

Games will be optimized for them.

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Support
Support

The Larians said they tried a bunch of different control schemes, and found that the one they implemented worked best, and at least in their opinion, worked well. Everyone has their own preferences on control systems; hopefully key re-mapping and/or gamepad use will accommodate most people, but nothing is going to work well for everyone.

I'm not saying you need to play through the game to have an opinion, but you are making some sweeping assumptions based on little playtime and not much else. If the beginning of the game is not fun for you, then it is just not fun, and may or may not be worth sticking with to see if it gets better (the beginning of DD was a little heavy on the hack and slash IMO, especially basically repeating it after playing the demo a few months before the game's release, but there were enough quests and humour, etc, in Aleroth to give a taste for the rest of the game).

The game being set in a human populated region of Rivellon hardly constitutes a complete break for the previous gameworld, though I would have preferred having other races included.

If Larian was going to make fundamental changes to pander to console gamers, they would not have bothered with a branching quest system, multiple solutions, moral dilemmas, etc.

I am of a similar opinion regarding achievements, but it is an XBox requirement. Unfortunately console versions of games seem to do much better than PC versions, so that is almost becoming a requirement for a developer's survival.

I have not seen any advertisements in English and very few previews or reviews, let alone hype. What exactly did Larian do which mislead you? They have discussed various aspects of the game and development in the forum, and so far AFAIK you are the only person to see this game as a huge disconnect from the previous ones.

W
wibble Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
W
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
Interestingly, Divinity 2 doesn't bear the "games for windows" logo, at least not here.

Not officially, no... but because GFW is so prevalent, design is being unjustly influenced by it.

journeyman
journeyman
Divinity 1 was great and still the combat system was very similar to blizzard's diablo hack & slash you are talking about that is making the doom of pure breed RPGs (like Divinity), so you are in a sense contradicting yourselfs, but nvm.

Dont get me wrong, i understand perfectly what the old-school RPG fans are saying, i still consider games like Lands of Lore 1 or Baldurs Gate the best RPGs around, but i also understand that times change. We live in the era of 3D and fancy visual effects that cost millions to make and the development budgets get more oriented to this part of the games, leaving perhaps less times to give features that less people will apreaciate (unfortunately Old-school RPG fans included) like more fine-tuned text in quests, or more objects to manipulate that most ppl will ignore like a pan to use as a helmet,etc.

For the people who say that D2 is not a "real RPG", are you comparing it to a recent game or a 10 year old game? because honestly there's been a LONGGGGGG time that no real RPG gone out, and i wasnt realy expecting D2 to be old-school aswell.

W
wibble Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
W
Originally Posted by Raze

The Larians said they tried a bunch of different control schemes, and found that the one they implemented worked best, and at least in their opinion, worked well. Everyone has their own preferences on control systems; hopefully key re-mapping and/or gamepad use will accommodate most people, but nothing is going to work well for everyone.

I'm not saying you need to play through the game to have an opinion, but you are making some sweeping assumptions based on little playtime and not much else. If the beginning of the game is not fun for you, then it is just not fun, and may or may not be worth sticking with to see if it gets better (the beginning of DD was a little heavy on the hack and slash IMO, especially basically repeating it after playing the demo a few months before the game's release, but there were enough quests and humour, etc, in Aleroth to give a taste for the rest of the game).

The game being set in a human populated region of Rivellon hardly constitutes a complete break for the previous gameworld, though I would have preferred having other races included.

If Larian was going to make fundamental changes to pander to console gamers, they would not have bothered with a branching quest system, multiple solutions, moral dilemmas, etc.

I am of a similar opinion regarding achievements, but it is an XBox requirement. Unfortunately console versions of games seem to do much better than PC versions, so that is almost becoming a requirement for a developer's survival.

I have not seen any advertisements in English and very few previews or reviews, let alone hype. What exactly did Larian do which mislead you? They have discussed various aspects of the game and development in the forum, and so far AFAIK you are the only person to see this game as a huge disconnect from the previous ones.

unfortunately their best implementation of a combat system is rather poor... I'd HATE to see the other considerations.

I personally consider the political overview and race interactions quite indicative of the Divinity franchise, for this one not to have any at all seems to remove a lot of Rivellion's defining factor.. and unique flavour.

I haven't been able to take your comments about the questing system as rote, in relation to my experiences with it.

As for what Larian have done to mislead me... they called it 'Divinity' in relation to 'Divine Divinity' and there is nothing in this game that would have made me come to that conclusion, except the times they have tried to persude me it is by telling me it is... no flavour, no other races, no political situation and no familiar areas...it's not 'Divinity', they just say it is.

Support
Support

How would you design a control system suitable for ground and flight based movement/combat, or what have you played that did this well?

The different races did add to DD. After an extended war with the forces of evil which scared and reshaped the land, though, I wouldn't expect there to be a lot of political infighting or conflict between the survivors for awhile, even if there were other races in the game.
It is too bad if there are no familiar areas in the game, other than Aleroth (with 50 years, or whatever, to develop into a city), but I wouldn't count that as a huge negative.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Sorry, but I loved Divinity: Sword of Lies. However, even though it was a tried-and-true control system, it was an awful one. If not for the content, i'd have hated the game.

You may say this combat system is also tried and true, but the least you can say is that it's much, much better than the original. So claiming they did so much worse than the original, with, as your foremost detractor, a front where they did much much better, is kind of silly, IMO. You can perhaps make a point about the races and the interactivity, but personally, I'd much rather they make a game with only humans than make a game with orcs that are just green hued humans or something, like oblivion and such. Some games focus on one thing, while other games focus on something else, and no game has the budget or time to be perfect. Personally, I like Divinity 2's focus.

journeyman
journeyman
the nerdrage is strong with you lol.

apprentice
apprentice
How is continuity between the games?

(DD1 spoilers)

What about the connection between the Divine Ones (DD states there's more than 1) & the (Council of) Races? You'd think Zandalor & other surviving members from DD would want interspecies relations reasonably friendly. Or anyone else that realises that that sort of strife could leave Aleroth vulnerable to the Demon of Lies. Just in case it becomes necessary to assemble a new council, so they can anoint a new Divine One.

old hand
old hand
There are some heafty spoilers in my thread, since this will most likely be quoted in other posts, users who would like to play this game spoiler proof should avoid reading and keep in mind most people that have played this game do highly favor it.

Well so far I've interacted with the undead, goblins and with a type of cross-bread elf on Sentinal Island. Making a run for the next world map, the Vally ForGe or something (I forget, I didn't last long there lol) an NPC said imps took over a mine. So right there I'm going to interact with a 2nd race from the original game. In Sword of Lies they mostly attacked you anyway.

The Elves appear to have been wiped out. I discovered a book suggesting that the elves burrowed underground like dwarfs in a last attept and surviving. They became weak while underground and the goblins had slain the last remaining true elves.

It seems so far that the Kingdom Ferol and to the East is scarred battle field and the Black Forest is most likely a wasteland too. Basically this game is taking place after a cataclysmic event that ravaged the lands.

Rivertown is replaced by a flying fortress. The game is now in a totally different era and Damian has so far appeared to have successfully made the elves extinct. I'm maybe 20% into the game.

If you made it into Farlow village, you'd have recognized how it is the sequel to the original.

Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
This depends on who their fans actually are.

There are several factions among the fans :

- those who love the Ultima-related kind of gameplay in Divinity 1

- those who just love the hacking & slashing of Divinity 1

- those who love the free-roam possibility in Divinity 1

- those who love the environment of Divinity 1

This as the core.

These games were still popular back when Divinity: Sword of Lies (true fans of Larian call it the title they wanted it to be, not what CDV wanted).

There is a good deal of modernized hack and slash in this game. It feels broken up though, so not always hack and slash. Other than the combat controls, I swear to God that I feel like I'm playing a "Divinity" game.

The free "Ultima" roam is gone. That is a major downfall. Another sword threw the gut is poor combat setup. Though as I've stated in a previous post, there were people that struggled to get used to holding CTRL down to target. I believe it was Lynn and/or Lar that had a fit on the forums over getting hundreds of E-mails bashing/asking how to target when the Sword of Lies demo came out.

The tutoring place sucked ass. I didn't want to say it because of the fear of driving new potential users away. Once I got out of there and quested in Farglow, I felt back at home with the Divinity Series. It's just a different era.

2 things to consider:
- that the concept of Sword of Lies has been cooking for years and eventually Larian created the game. Like the Harry Potter books where Rowling spent about a decade conjuring stuff up about Harry Potter and the Wizard world, it will always be a real hard challenge to live up to the "Holy Grail" Divinity: Sword of Lies.

After the game ended, the question was. Ok, for the sequel(s) how are events from this game going to change those of the next generations of games?

- How limited was it to create the first game? First off only 2 walls could have switches and there were no exits to other maps on the south or west walls. Something new has to happen to keep the game series from going stagnant with the same type of crap going on like in 2 of the largest running franchises as Castlevania and Zelda games.

- Since JRR Tolken whom created the Lord of the Rings where elves and all really became popular, they all disappear and human kind take over. It seems like the following is happening here. The Black Ring is exterminating all the other races.

I miss the free roam, but Larian at least evolved the game series to be different.

So give your self some time to cool your jets, it is a major culture shock on what was released. And do a bunch of the quests in Farglow, you need to spend like 10+ hours starting at Farglow to get a general idea where the game is headed and how involved it really is. This doesn't count on time lost from death(s).

Play primarily as a warrior with some Dex to kill mages with a bow as they like to run around. Level like 1 dex per level until your at about 4 or 5 to be good to deal with mages and archers. It is what I've ended up doing. Buy ginsing and have the "thing" in the mill basement make limited heals... the door is locked? I guess you need to search for the key in there.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 12/08/09 02:30 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Originally Posted by Raze

Perhaps there will be addons to open up new (or old) locations, where there are elves and dwarves, etc.

That would be really really awesome! woehoe I hope you at Larian sees this and perhaps gets inspired (or who knows perhaps you already thought of it) smile

old hand
old hand
Not to shoot anyone's hopes down but this was brought up with Divinity. There was a discussion (might have been on the original older boards that were replaced) about addons. The question was if we'd rather have Larian get the work on the next Divinity game or keep working on the current.

Just about (if not all) the people that responded wanted them to work on the next game. Have to keep in mind they are a small company, and this game does end with a real cliff hanger for Divinity 3.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 12/08/09 08:53 PM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
old hand
old hand
Personally.
I didn't exactly want to know that.
I'd rather get the game and find out about how the game ends to see If it sets it up for another Divinity game.
It kind of ruins how you feel getting towards the ending as I now know the ending style!

Support
Support

I also would prefer to avoid anything about the end (or middle) of the game (its style or content).

Lar mentioned that it would make more sense if they were going to release any modding tools, that they be included as part of a multiplayer addon than just for single player. While neither are more than a hypothetical possibility at this point, Larian is at least not opposed to the concept of addons.
Since DD, budgets have gotten higher and development times longer, so an addon (working with basically the same game engine) should be faster/easier to develop, and if successful, help fund the next full game (perhaps exposing more people to D2:ED, as well). It shouldn't delay development significantly, as the writers, artists, etc could work on the addon, while the majority of the programmers concentrated on the next game engine. In any case it may be a tad premature to start worrying too much about addons...

Originally Posted by LightningLockey
Not to shoot anyone's hopes down but this was brought up with Divinity. There was a discussion (might have been on the original older boards that were replaced) about addons. The question was if we'd rather have Larian get the work on the next Divinity game or keep working on the current.

I see your point - and yes - anytime a new game over addons.

And then, I too would prefere not to know anything about what is happening during the game either, I would too like to discover for myself. So please be aware of what you say and if you say anything that could be a spoiler - please use the same way of telling it as in the Help and trick forum:

SPOILER: and the text in white.

Last edited by The Endless; 13/08/09 09:03 AM.
old hand
old hand
The accomplishments are a feature that is a complete waste of time, it should only be in a mmorpg where you spend months to level your character. I don't know why Larian wasted time on making them, but hopefully they won't make that mistake again.

As for your comment on a PC being used as a game console, well it is annoying having to buy an X-box, Playstation, Wii, Nintendo DS and Sony PSP. I've stopped buying those consoles because of the taken up space and I can play a lot more games on my computer.

Lastly what really is pissing me off is accusing Larian from making a dishonest game. You obviously didn't play it very long, did you even get past the first goblin camp? As for a monoculture product, this game is very different than Divinity 1 yet I felt like it was the proper offspring of Divinity 1

Major Spoilers...basically the story!

If you played the game long enough, you'd know that the black ring (humans) have been at war since the Sword of Lies was sent back to hell after the Damned One was possessed by a demon. As he grew up, his true love was killed by Lucian (the Divine) and he is hell bent on her resurrection. Though his rage lead to the 10,000 man war and has pretty much made all the other races extinct.

The elves went underground and were slain by goblins. The dwarves probably baracaded themselves in their mines. The imps are still causing havoc, I think the Divine basically killed off all the Orcs or they retreated back into the wastelands, Zandelore is one of the few last wizards left, the Lizard people probably still reside in the sewers in hiding.

Larian has done something different with each Divinity game. There is no monoculture in their products at all!
Divine: you had all the towns to explore and was the calm before the storm.
Beyond: you were soul forged with a demon having to escape hell. If he died, so did you. Yeh this has been used before in games but only for a short quest, the the entire game!
Ego Draconis: Unlike the current games, you transform and fight as a Dragon. Not just a means for transportation but an active role in the game.

This is not Divinity: Sword of Lies in 3D. This is it's own game with a lot to do. You need to actually play it before continuing your rant about something you don't have much of a clue about. Just ignore the achievements like everyone else does and work on getting to Maxos Temple. Good luck with it.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 14/08/09 02:00 PM.

old hand
old hand
Oops! Double post, really worked up now.
*turns on TV to calm down*

Last edited by LightningLockey; 14/08/09 02:01 PM.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
Larian has done something different with each Divinity game. There is no monoculture in their products at all!

[...]

This is not Divinity: Sword of Lies in 3D. This is it's own game with a lot to do.

I would like to stress this. All three games have been very different from one another in their own right.

At least regarding the game mechanics.

--Dilbert cartoon

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard