#377762 13/08/09 03:59 PM
S
susu Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Hello guys and especially Larian folks, for which this topic is addressed,

Let me start by saying I am a fan of Divinity series and really liked the second part too, you did a great job!

Now, that being said I'm gonna cut to the subject and point the thing I feel most disappointed with:

ITEMS...

What the heck happened here? We have only 4 melee weapon types:

-sword
-axe
-mace
-2h sword

and like that wasn't bad enough, there are only 3-4 models for each, not including re-textured models...

The shields are even worse: 3 (three) models????

What happened to the classic weapons that were present in div toolike STAFF, DAGGER, 2H AXE etc. ??

Do you plan to add them in an expansion or with an upcoming patch?

PS: Also armors are quite few too....

Last edited by susu; 13/08/09 04:03 PM.
susu #377843 13/08/09 08:47 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
It seems that people still fail to understand the difference between a 2d infinity-engine type game and a game made in full 3d. You don't just draw a picture and slap a name on it, and your animations are no longer 3 frames. This is great, but it comes with a tradeoff. Sadly, that tradeoff is content. Not necessarily story and dialogue, but item diversity is one of the first things to go.

so, the better the quality of items and animations, the more work they require, thus, the smaller the number of different items in the game.

Support
Support

There were one and two handed hammers shown in several screenshots. I also vaguely recall daggers and clubs, though they may have been short swords and not very pointy maces...

Raze #377879 14/08/09 02:05 AM
addict
addict
I hope there are weapons that are designed for magic users (staves or wands) because making a mage whose best gear is a sword and shield that never get used is lousy (like in Silverfall)

S
susu Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
swordscythe> no matter how you paint it, not having mage specific weapons is not ok...I didn't ask for 200 items, but we need to have at least some class specific weapons, namely STAVES!

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by flixerflax
I hope there are weapons that are designed for magic users (staves or wands) because making a mage whose best gear is a sword and shield that never get used is lousy (like in Silverfall)

I see you haven't played Drakensang or a6t least don't know about its background.

In Aventuria, there exists a kind of Codex that - as far as I understood it - *forbids* the use of swords for mages ! They are only allowed a staff (the staff *every* mage has, there), and perhaps a "Mage Rapier", a special weapon only for Aventurian mages ... Plus, they can't use any magic at all meanwhile they wear anything made of iron ...

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
S
susu Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
Originally Posted by flixerflax

I see you haven't played Drakensang or a6t least don't know about its background.

In Aventuria, there exists a kind of Codex that - as far as I understood it - *forbids* the use of swords for mages ! They are only allowed a staff (the staff *every* mage has, there), and perhaps a "Mage Rapier", a special weapon only for Aventurian mages ... Plus, they can't use any magic at all meanwhile they wear anything made of iron ...

Isn't that what he actually meant??

Like I also said, we need mage specific items...making a mage fight with a sword and shield is not right...

susu #378043 14/08/09 03:42 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
I understood it so that he wanted mages being able to carry swords & shields.

Maybe I misunderstood it ?

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
S
susu Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
you did...he said the exact opposite...that he doesn't like the fact that a mage is forced to wear a sword+shield in Div 2 wink

susu #378244 15/08/09 09:22 AM
W
journeyman
journeyman
W
HOLD!

*freezes time...*

No 2H hammers? No more 2H axes? Come on... I wanna be a Viking or at least a lumberjack smile
I'm gonna cry in a corner... Call me if you find some huge weapons for me...

old hand
old hand
Mages don't have staves or wands, unfortunately. However, they can wield any kind of melee weapon they want. Some bows are designed more for mages, it sounds pointless but you'll come and find how useful it can be.

What you want to do is look for weapons that give mostly magic damage instead of melee damage. Because the more intelligence you put on your character, the more magic damage the melee weapon will produce.

As I recall, Divinity 1 had a lot of limitations on how your character looked. Also there are one handed war-hammers and you can click and drag a 2nd sword into the shield spot to duel wield swords which is nice to have. You look like a ninja in your attacks.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 15/08/09 02:07 PM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
enthusiast
enthusiast
vikings mostly used axe and shield or sword and shield... why could you not be a viking?

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Originally Posted by swordscythe
vikings mostly used axe and shield or sword and shield... why could you not be a viking?

You ciddinq me? True viking tore his enemys with his bare hands!

Nikita #378952 17/08/09 07:21 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
I guess they killed them with their foul odour from too much alcoholic beverages.

--Dilbert cartoon

stranger
stranger
I don't really get your point, susu.
Until now, i've seen much different axes, swords and maces. It's too bad that are the only weapons, but there are many different ones, in my eyes.
But you are true about the shields, except one detail, it's 4 different ones.
Maybe would have been cool with more weapon types, but im satisfied.

And about that vikings...
They had dragon ships :P
Their victims died of scaryness.
period

Grtz

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard