Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
addict
addict
Yeah, ideally we could download it as a free patch, after the installer verified we had a registered copy of DD or something. I went ahead and bought it anyway, because the price is so low and it's a favorite that I still play. I now own three copies - original version, the 1.34 version that came with BD, and the new 1.4 GOG edition!

Support
Support

There is a configuration file edit to skip the intro videos (see here).
With the latest CD/DVD game version (v1.0034A), this will also eliminate the need for the Play CD, except for a couple cases (the blessing ceremony, after hitting the gong late in the game, and at the end of the game). These are the same limitations as with the no-CD hack.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by lynn
Let me find this out for you wink

Thanks Lynn. smile
It's much appreciated.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Can someone post some screenshots in the 1680*1050 resolution?

addict
addict
Sure. Divinity in 1680 X 1050:

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

Last edited by flixerflax; 02/11/09 11:46 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MysterD
Lynn, will original owners of DD that bought it on disc be getting Patch 1.4A (to update it to Remastered Edition)? Or will we have to re-buy this through one of the digital outlets?
At the moment we don't plan to release a seperate patch for div

addict
addict
Here's a shot using the font enlargement pack. Compare it to the first pic from my last post - as you can see, it helps a lot!! I was too hard on the font enlargement pack before...I highly recommend it for these higher resolutions!

1680 X 1050 w/ font enlargement

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by lynn
At the moment we don't plan to release a seperate patch for div

Meaning you want to shank those of us who already own a boxed copy and make us buy it again just to get proper widescreen support. No thanks. Even Blizzard has more consideration than that, they're releasing a new downloadable patch for a game older than yours - Diablo II.

journeyman
journeyman
Flixerflax, do you apply all of the font enlargements, as in "general, books, dialogues?" - I see there are 3 categories to choose from.

addict
addict
Yes. Sorry I didn't show them all in my screenshots. The only ones that don't look quite so good are the dialogue/trade window fonts, only because they look a little cramped. Once you get used to it though, it's great, much easier to read.

Support
Support

If you don't think the improvements in the remastered version are worth it, then don't buy it. It would be nice if people who bought the CD/DVD version in the last month or so could get a free downloadable version, but I can see where the extra administration this would require could be too much of a hassle.

If DD had been on the top ten PC games sales every month since it was released, and Larian was making a billion dollars a month from an MMO, then I'm sure they could afford the resources, money and bandwidth to offer lots of free updates and extras.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Come on now, "remastered version" is just a fancy name for the game being updated. 99% of the devs out there distribute update patches for free to their customers, regardless of them being a big company or not. Go look at the game "Scratches", which is very indie. They took the time to release an entire texture overhaul update and still support the game to this day despite being a small company.

You cannot use resources as an excuse, as Larian had the means to make a new version period. You also cannot blame bandwidth either considering they could just upload it to a site like filefront for download. Couldn't they simply use the code used for making this new version, and compile it to an .exe for us to use as an update?

I'm not trying to be rude here, but I'm rather annoyed by this. Why should I have to purchase the same game twice just to get proper widescreen support and some bug fixes? I also do not use download services as I like to own boxed copies of games and not rely on something online.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Uh, now you are argueing over an amount of less than 10 Euros ?

ARE YOU SERIOUS ???

You must be in REAL financial troubles if you can't even afford a game costing less then 10 Euros !!!

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
old hand
old hand
So is the GOG version the remastered version or a different version ?

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
Uh, now you are argueing over an amount of less than 10 Euros ?

ARE YOU SERIOUS ???

You must be in REAL financial troubles if you can't even afford a game costing less then 10 Euros !!!

You're completely missing the point here. This is the same as charging customers for an update patch. Can you honestly imagine if every game did this? Though Divinity is far from broken, this almost reminds me of the whole "Dungeon Lords" debacle and them releasing a special collector's edition which was essentially an updated version with fixes.

Again, for the last time; why should I have to buy Divinity twice, regardless of price, just for an update to finally get proper widescreen support? Seems rather cheap and unfair to me.

journeyman
journeyman
I originally bought the game new 2 years ago for $9.99. I played it alot. Now it is updated, and it cost me another $5.99. So I have $16 invested in a great game that the devs actually still care about/support. Hardly robbery here.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Turning a game update into basically DLC we have to pay for is quite robbery. Doesn't matter how much it costs, the same ethics apply. Why should I have to invest more money into a game I already own? I could understand if it was an expansion pack or if it added new content, but it doesn't. It's simply an update with fixes masked as a special edition.

Congratulations on spending $5.99 for something the majority of developers give people for free.

Funnily enough I've read on other forums how many others agree with this sentiment, seems the only people defending this are here in this topic.

Support
Support

Smicallion;
I believe one of the main motivations for releasing a digital download version was so the game would be available to people new to the Divinity series, brought in by D2:ED.
Distributors may have had a problem with an updated version of the game if they knew the core fan base would not be potential customers.

Larian has released several patches for all of their games. In this case they may have put enough effort into the update that they consider it more than just a patch, or they would love to provide it as a patch but couldn't get download distributors interested doing so, or providing a patch could just be more hassle than they want to spend on this while they are still working on D2:ED.
If you don't think the downloadable version is worth it, don't buy it.

Funnily enough I've read on other forums how Windows 7 should have been a patch for Vista, Left for Dead 2 should have been a patch for Left for Dead...

Meme;
All downloadable editions of the game are the remastered version.

S
stranger
stranger
S
It's not like I have a problem they released it as a digital download, especially if it brings interest to the game for new players.

I'm just not seeing any way to defend the company for not giving those of us who own the boxed copy of the game a simple update, if even to just get proper widescreen support. How is it such a hassle for them to package a patch for coding that's already been done?

I'm actually playing through Divinity now for I believe the third time and was expecting to see 1.4 released as a new update finally. To come here and find out it's only for those who purchase the game through a download service - you have to understand my frustration.

addict
addict
I actually agree with you, as I've stated earlier, a patch for current owners would be best. I just think you're being a big baby about it. I'd pay 6 bucks to get widescreen support and bugfixes in DD, and I did. And it's worth it. There's not many other games I would do that for.

Raze acts like making the changes into a patch would require massive resources, and for all I know, he's right. Maybe not.

Last edited by flixerflax; 04/11/09 04:19 AM.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard