Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I'm a regular on the PC Gamer forums and for more than a month, I've been pushing their writers to make a proper preview for Divinity II. Appalled by the amount of coverage given to games such as World of Warcraft & Left 4 Dead, I was very disappointed how they couldn't even give half a page to a great game such as Divinity II (of which I bought the German version) especially considering the German version is already available!

Now, after lots of arguing back & forward, he (Tim Edwards, the editor) finally revealed the following:

I stand by our decision to cover Blizzard and Valve games - we get good data from news-stands, and it looks like our WoW issue is selling pretty well. However, we'll make efforts to get a varied diet of games into the mag.

That's why I've got Divinity II preview code sitting next to me, and it's heading out to a freelancer today.

I'm very happy to see there will finally be some real exposure - Divinity II has been barely on the radar in the UK (I visit several UK sites & read several British magazines and none made much if any noise concerning the game). Being Britain's best selling PC games magazine, I'm sure this will help sales when the game is finally released!

old hand
old hand
This is great. Thanks for the effort!

Tweeting @forktong
veteran
veteran
Yes, that's great, thanks so much!

Let us just pray that they have recent preview code wink

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Much appreciated! Great work, thank you! kitty

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Tell us honestly larian folks, we are the best fans in the world arent we?

wink

veteran
veteran
Yes, you are! laugh

apprentice
apprentice
Remind me to hug you if you pass by the office one day wink

Hot the Dimsums please...
H
stranger
stranger
H
PC Gamer and PC Zone are both owned by Future publishing. Sadly the trend of these magazines is so pro-Blizzard and Valve that I have discontinued my subscription. I was plenty p***ed last month when pretty much 40% of their magazines content was covering Blizzard.

I used to work in publishing and I am fully aware that the paper magazines are having real ABC issues right now and are pulling in as much revenue with the big guns in the form of advertising. Now whilst I am not averse to magazines using advertising to ensure they survive (it is the norm afterall) however the love in with the big guns is getting rather boring.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DimSum
Remind me to hug you if you pass by the office one day wink

erm... i pass :P

Lynn on the other hand i might accept one wink

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by ForkTong
This is great. Thanks for the effort!

My pleasure smile. See, if you complain enough, sometimes it works cheer !

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by HamishUK
PC Gamer and PC Zone are both owned by Future publishing. Sadly the trend of these magazines is so pro-Blizzard and Valve that I have discontinued my subscription. I was plenty p***ed last month when pretty much 40% of their magazines content was covering Blizzard.

I used to work in publishing and I am fully aware that the paper magazines are having real ABC issues right now and are pulling in as much revenue with the big guns in the form of advertising. Now whilst I am not averse to magazines using advertising to ensure they survive (it is the norm afterall) however the love in with the big guns is getting rather boring.

This is definitely true which is a sad thing. I posted a list of all their mentions of BLizzard & Valve games and came to nearly 40 mentions in a magazine with only 100 pages. I've been a reader of PC Gamer since issue 1 back in 1993 when they had a very strong and diverse staff that covered every genre. Nowadays, a lot of magazines and sites don't have a devoted RPG staff member which results in things like this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/risen-review

A review so badly written and so full of incorrect info, it makes you feel bad for the developers who put in so much work. I really really hope the same doesn't happen to Divinity II - it doesn't deserve it.

I hope Richard Cobbett gets to review it - he's the only one I'd trust with an RPG since he knows his stuff.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Red Avatar
[quote=HamishUK]
Nowadays, a lot of magazines and sites don't have a devoted RPG staff member which results in things like this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/risen-review

A review so badly written and so full of incorrect info, it makes you feel bad for the developers who put in so much work. I really really hope the same doesn't happen to Divinity II - it doesn't deserve it.

IGN did give Risen a detailed & extensive review and a good score - 8.6

Same with Drakensang, IIRC. In the end, along with Gamespot that's the site a lot of people from overseas will look at for reviews and if DDII gets a good score from them everything should be okay..

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard