Next Thread
Print Thread
M
msp Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Help I've tried everyting I could find on forum, love the game but not in slow motion! HELP.

BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/26/09 17:35:50 Ver: 5.40
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6300 @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 8182MB RAM
Page File: 2310MB used, 14103MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9400 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0641&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
Display Memory: 3056 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1009 MB
Shared Memory: 2046 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2um
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.8120 (English)
DDI Version: 10
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/25/2008 11:08:00, 8612352 bytes

Support
Support

BD can have performance problems with more than 3072MB system RAM. Limiting the RAM seen by Windows will fix the problem.

30-40 FPS in XP x86; 10 - 20 FPS in Vista x64

Also, you may want to run the game in Win 9x compatibility mode. There is a rare bug in some Vista systems (see Inventory graphic placement bug) which can be avoided this way. I don't know if this can happen under Windows 7.

Welcome to the forum. wave

M
msp Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I've tried everything suggested and nothing helps....the game is still in slow motion. Please tell me in Laymans terms what additionl things to try. I tried changing the compatibility mode to 95, changed Maximum memory:" box and type "3072" . Tried different resolutions..to no avail...Pleae I REALLY want to finsih this game!

Did you click OK to all boxes and restart your computer after you did this?:

[Linked Image]

If not, then I'm not sure what else you can do to improve performance. The game runs nicely for me with the above tweak with no other modifications needed apart from Windows 98 / ME compatibility which doesn't affect performance.

M
msp Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Yes I did. I'm not understanding why this doesn't seem to be happening with my other games. Makes me leary of buying Divinity II

Support
Support

Did you try a lower amount of memory?

D2:ED uses a completely different engine than BD. You would still want to make sure your graphics card meets the requirements for D2:ED, but a problem with BD would not indicate there would be one with D2:ED.

M
msp Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
yes I've tried lowering the memory. This machine has dual prcessors...could that be the problem? I've also tried find answers on Nvidia and Microsoft sites...no luck.

Support
Support

I don't think dual core procesors are a problem in general. You can try setting the game to run on a specific core, and see if that makes a difference.

Monitoring and Optimizing Apps on Dual-Core and Multiprocessor Systems - briefly describes how to 'Set Affinity' of an application to a specific CPU through the Task Manager or using a couple other utilities.

So long to "Set Affinity"... - mentions another program to set CPU preference, as well as driver updates and an MS hotfix

apprentice
apprentice
I have absolutely the same problem - BD is very slow eventhough DD is pretty fast. Don't know what to do... It was slow on my 1 GB ram laptop and the same slow on my quad core dell computer...

T
stranger
stranger
T
After the game running smoothly, as I entered the 1st Act Battlefield, everything slowed down to almost unplayable. When I went into the dungeons, the movement rate went back to almost normal, but I have the game set at the 1024x768 in order to keep the speed up. I have an i7 quad-core and 3gigs of DDR3 ram and ATI HD4850 video card with 1gig of memory, so I'm surprised I'm having this kind of problem. Perhaps the Vista 64bit is causing the problem, but as I started the 2nd act, the game is slow even at 1024x768. If I go to the 800x600 route, everything gets too big to fit onscreen. Yikes.

DD ran smooth as silk for the entire game for me too.

Be merciful, for I am old and spazzy...
Support
Support

Try running the game in Win98/ME compatibility mode (I'd do that anyway to avoid a potential bug some people encountered in Vista, as mentioned above). Also in the compatibility options for Vista/7, try disabling desktop composition (IIRC that helped a couple people with stuttering problems in D2:ED, which uses a completely different engine, but it's worth trying).

T
stranger
stranger
T
I already had the game in win98 mode (Hope this does the trick for Bethelgeise, however smile so I just disabled the Desktop Comp. No luck.

Almost forgot, the Win98 compatibility worked for my Vista x64 machine, so that the equipment lined up properly on the paper doll.

Last edited by trog69; 20/02/10 01:39 PM.

T
stranger
stranger
T
At the beginning of next month, I'm swapping back to my old computer, which will run this game perfectly, I'll wager, and I'm telling the repairman to either downgrade to WinXP or upgrade to Win7; whichever OS will actually allow me to play the games I bought it for. This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Hmm, the only thing I can think of if the workaround I posted did not work for you is that your video memory is contributing to the memory limitation. Perhaps entering even lower values in the Maximum Memory box would solve the problem? I have no means of testing this, as my graphics card is only 512 MB.

Have you tried the workaround I posted on page 1 at all, Trog69?

T
stranger
stranger
T
Thanks for the reply, Undesirable. I'm willing to try limiting the memory, but before I go plopping in new parameters, at what amount would you recommend I set it at? Does it matter what amount I set it, such as if I lowered the max. mem. by 100mb, is that sufficient and safe to do?

Thanks for your time and hand-holding.

In answer to your question, if your suggestion on page one was to lower the max. mem. to 3g, I onlly have 3gigs of ram, so I didn't think that it was necessary, but as I posted above I'm willing to try it if it might help.

I'm also hearing some audio anomolies that could be slowing things down a bit, and Raze gave me a suggestion that I lower the acceleration. But I was unable to find where to lower this value, as it didn't show up in the dxdiag display where he suggested.

Last edited by trog69; 24/02/10 12:22 AM.

Support
Support

How much memory is on your video card? I would limit your main memory by at least that amount.
Actually, just to make it easier, limit the RAM to 1 GB, reboot and see if BD behaves any better. If it does you can play around with raising it until you start having performance problems again, and back off a bit until it is fixed.
If a 1 GB limit doesn't help, then it probably isn't the same issue as the with the >3GB RAM problem.

Apparently MS got rid of the hardware sound acceleration options in Vista. I don't know if that was moved out of dxdiag or taken out completely.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I bought this computer with the expectation of 512mb video card-ATI HD 4850, however, when it arrived, it shows it as 1024mb video memory.( And a few others who purchased to same refurbished gaming rig said they too were pleasantly surprised to learn that their video card memory had been doubled.)

I have wondered lately if the fact that the computer was originally built as a system with 512mb of video ram has caused problems to the way the system performs now that this is doubled, presumably with the same 512mb architecture underneath it, especially running in Vista, and it's inherent problems with different hardware schemes? Does that make sense at all? ( I mention this as I've been having problems with most of the latest computer games, for different reasons for each failure, so I think the problems I'm having with this game may be due to my computer more than any inherent problems with BD.)

I also searched briefly for some type of audio acceleration elsewhere on my OS, but I didn't find anything. I'm playing with the sound controls in-game turned down to @60% levels; Slight improvement seen.

I really am fearful of playing around with this memory throttling, if for no other reason, my own incompetence. So for now, with the game playable @800x600 outdoors, and 1280x960 indoors, I'll continue as I am. Should things deteriorate later on, I'll move to try this remedy. Thanks to you both for the help.

Last edited by trog69; 25/02/10 03:32 AM.

Oops, I forgot that I replied to this thread recently. Here's the next value down to test in the maximum memory box: 2048. Windows should be fine with that. If Beyond Divinity is still slow at high resolutions after that, then I've run out of ideas. Beyond Divinity's FPS shot right back up to normal for me when I entered 3072, but I only have 512 MB of video memory, as mentioned.

stranger
stranger
Thanks Undesirable, the new value works perfectly for my system. BD is now playable.

Whilst I know Larian is busy working on the expansion pack it would be nice if they could release a remastering patch for Beyond Divinity like they did for Divine Divinity. I love both of these games (I haven't played Divinity 2 yet, currently in A2 of Beyond Divinity, but I'm sure I'll love it hehe ), and I'm looking foward to replaying them over and over again. It would be great if I didn't have to implement a system wide change everytime I wanted to play Beyond Divinity.

Regards,

Raven

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard