Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ghigi Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Being this my very first post on this board, let me say hi to everyone.

I am currently playing the official italian version of what I can with no doubt consider a masterpiece in its genre. Game version is 1.0.13.66. I am running it under Windows 7 RC 7100 64bit, Nvidia GTX280 with latest drivers pack installed, 195.62 WHQL. Overall, the game runs fine, the graphics are simply amazing, with a gourgeous anisotropic filtering, great use of the hdr and....in brief, I keep taking screengrabs during my playthrough. Really love the graphics, both technically and artistically.

But there are some minor graphical issues I am experiencing.

1. Although I have all maxed out (with no AA effects), there are no shadows for the npc and enemies.

2. Self shadows on npc and my char look like this:
[Linked Image]

3. If I try to uncheck the Shadows timeslicing refresh I have a dramatic drop in perfomances.

4. Don't know if this is related to point 3, but most of the shadows of trees keep forming with layers upon layers, depending on the distance between my char and the object. They change in realtime according to my movements. Here are two pics:

BEFORE
[Linked Image]

AFTER
[Linked Image]

5. I have seen some groups of leafs on trees with no branches at all, they are suspended in the air.

6. Is it possible to get rid of the dialog box about the Physx drivers before the Larian logo ? I have a different drivers set on my pc, no problem with the game since they are all up to date, but I must always confirm the dialog box, which is kinda annoying.

As I said, these are minor issues that are NOT affecting my game at all. Great job Larian !

stranger
stranger
1. Yeah, AA isn't working. No NPC shadow here either, so I assume that that's normal.

2. Same, the self-shadowing is just low-res.

3. Unchecking the shadow timeslice update WILL have a serious effect on performance. Timeslice updating means that the shadows won't be updated in realtime, so their just static decals. Unchecking that means that you get dynamic shadowing at a sizable performance hit.

4. Not really familiar with that problem.

5. That's pretty common, as I think the leaves on the trees are randomly generated.

6. I WISH.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ghigi

1. Although I have all maxed out (with no AA effects), there are no shadows for the npc and enemies.

Same here. Everyone else has this "issue" (I don't think it is, guess, these shadows wasn't implemented at all, so, why bother).

3. If I try to uncheck the Shadows timeslicing refresh I have a dramatic drop in perfomances.

Don't do that then?

4. Don't know if this is related to point 3, but most of the shadows of trees keep forming with layers upon layers, depending on the distance between my char and the object. They change in realtime according to my movements. Here are two pics:

It's LOD. Usual thingie (no, I didn't saw screens, too big size)

6. Is it possible to get rid of the dialog box about the Physx drivers before the Larian logo ? I have a different drivers set on my pc, no problem with the game since they are all up to date, but I must always confirm the dialog box, which is kinda annoying.

Not yet, but you can request that feature while the patch is still in development.

Ghigi Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Both thanks for the feedback.

For what concerns the timeslicing of the shadows, was only a test right after the installation of the game, obviously the game runs way better with it. Simply, I have no noticeble graphic improvements on the shadows when turning it on/off, only the frame rate changes from 35 (off) to 60 and up (on).

As for the LOD, I had the same problem with Far Cry 2. frown

stranger
stranger
If you look closely in outdoor areas, unchecking timeslice shadow updates will animate the shadows of trees.

Ghigi Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Correct. Didn't noticed before.
Far more realistic, but almost impossible to run the game at an average 30 fps...hope they at least fix self shadowing and add shadows for all npc.

veteran
veteran
When I have seen that screenshots ... that shadowproblem ... never see such a thing on my xbox-version ... Shadow is very realistic!

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard