Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TonZa Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
First off i usually play this kind of game on my PC instead of xbox360 so my difficulties can be partly relatet to that but i still can berform attacks well enough and moving become easier as i play, still i'm having huge problems, problems that i have never faced on my gaming so far.

First when game startet and showed how i can choose what "class" i should go i ofcourse took melee style as that is usually easier to start with, i chose to take medium difficulty since i dont think myself as a bad gamer but dont want to take more than i could chew.

First things were going rather well goblins provided to be rather easy and their small bosses gave me difficult kills and game felt rather balanced, untill i got myself to go tower and bandit camp, i find myself really weak trying to kill my way throught countless ranged or summoner skeletons who kept laughing on silly slayer who try to take them down with his weak melee attack when they bombarded me from a far, and when i finally had killed them all i noticed i could not even open doors and were unable to get to the right door (i noticed this much later) due to bug that kept knocking me back down when i reached on top.

So off i went to see other place and found some soldiers who asked my help to kill few bandits, i ofcourse said yes i need to get more exp to level and take on harder mobs, we slaughter them all and i thought i guess i should have been here first it was that easy, then ofcourse came temple of doom (literally), i heed no warning from New order commander after all i'm a slayer so i'm going in, what a stupid mistake that was, after some small talk with the boss named "Jagon" I have to chase him and i just kept on dying. This place gave me lot of headache, it was like step left you die go right you die you die you die die die die etc.

The game does not even give you a hint where you can step atleas i can't see any until i finally found 1 safe spot that was still bad place since one of skeletons kept shooting there, i noticed these corpses lying down and naturally i avoided them first, but it turns out those were actually showing the way for me to walk, usually if there is a corpse it means that place is deadly no? The trail lead you right in place where boss has a clear shot at you and it's range so no good for me, eventually i just charged the boss ignoring the poison effect with healing potion and managed to beat him only to see him flee.

Then i chace him untill he finally dare to attack me and is a whole different guy as the first time, i get my ass kicked no matter what i do, all of his hits find their target be they melee or archery i take 50-150 damage and feel like i'm totally out classed, and he is lvl 11, there is no way he can be level 11 and do that kind of damage, my lvl 9 guy who almost only take points on strength and vitality was scoring 8-45 damage at best, so eventually i just have to take difficulty down and feel like i have failed.

Then i finally beat the guy after still wiping 2 times, it didint feel like a victory because i had to drop down difficulty level, there is no other place to go grinding exp so i dont understand why the difficulty between normal mobs and then mall boss is so big, and i feel like a ragdoll trying to beat that heavyweigh champion everytime there is a small boss like abomination master *shudders* and at big boss the difficulty jump skyhigh.

I hope that when i finally get my power up the game will ease a little so i atleast have a chance, i do enjoy difficulty but when game becomes so frustrating that i have to touch that difficulty button it's no longer fun.

/Rant off /equip flame resist suit.

Last edited by TonZa; 23/12/09 08:31 PM.
veteran
veteran
Ok.

veteran
veteran
First 2 hour game frustration

Only TWO HOURS ????
Have you go through this game in 2 hours and reach the Temple of Doom???
That's never good, I fear! And sorry that I should have said: so quickly running through this game does not honor this game! frown
In 2 hours .... I can't almost believe it ! So fast!! Are you impatient or wish you to play this game to the end in a recordtime??? And so it is, WHY ?

In that case I understood it's frustrating! You're TO fast running through this RPG!! An RPG that need much more exploring, also doing Quests (and sidequest!), Mindreading, talk to many NPC's, use a skill (lockpick) to open chests, etc etc !!

I played at least 20 hours before enter the bandit camp!
And the Temple of Doom : you must find a way without poisoning yourself and there IS a way! Don't play this game when you wish to turn your "mind" to ZERO!!

Please, give it a second chance, but more patient, it's NOT a timerace! eek
Also, this isn't a game that hold your hand! Explore and discover so much things by yourself and that's also, in my opinion, a great thing!! wink

Last edited by Joram; 24/12/09 11:51 AM.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
TonZa Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Joram

Only TWO HOURS ????
Have you go through this game in 2 hours and reach the Temple of Doom???
That's never good, I fear! And sorry that I should have said: so quickly running through this game does not honor this game! frown
In 2 hours .... I can't almost believe it ! So fast!! Are you impatient or wish you to play this game to the end in a recordtime??? And so it is, WHY ?

In that case I understood it's frustrating! You're TO fast running through this RPG!! An RPG that need much more exploring, also doing Quests (and sidequest!), Mindreading, talk to many NPC's, use a skill (lockpick) to open chests, etc etc !!

Because that's where game said i should go, it was only natural for me to go there after i expose the location for guards and help them eradicate the bastards, i'm not even trying to do things fast infact i take my time reading books like history of dragon knight and slayres, i'm using mindreading alot but sometimes i feel it's too costly and i'm overusing it, about lockpick it is nice idea not to have to be a rogue for it but some chest are ridiculous high like that chest under chapel catacombs, how you are supposed to have lvl 4 lockpicking that early in a game where you should have skills in combat.

RPG? Ofcourse i know it's RPG i played things like Baldu's gate and DAO, i even took my time to walk in the city instead of running sometimes, i only wish there would be option to just sit on your throne at the battle tower i dont like standing, only time i actually sit is when i ask that girl dance for me.

You are right about one thing though i dont do much of the side quests those are supposed to be optional, unfortunetaly i did find out too late that that you really need that extra exp so you can actually take on bosses.

I played at least 20 hours before enter the bandit camp!
And the Temple of Doom : you must find a way without poisoning yourself and there IS a way! Don't play this game when you wish to turn your "mind" to ZERO!!

Zero? I'm avoiding corpses and you call that zero thinking? Like i said i didint want to step on place where there was corpses in dungeon that means there is deadly trap in that location and should be avoided, now if in that book that i collectet at bandits camp would have said something that they placed corpses intentionally then i could have avoided the poison effect at the very start but it would not have changed the outcome, the trail leads you right in front of the boss that start shooting at you and can't get the melee range.

Please, give it a second chance, but more patient, it's NOT a timerace! eek
Also, this isn't a game that hold your hand! Explore and discover so much things by yourself and that's also, in my opinion, a great thing!! wink

I agree with you, somewhere at level 20 when i got my dragon form things startet to feel better maybe because you get acces to Orobas Fjord, but there is still some issues, cut scene right at the start of the game can bug out if you are not fast enough to hit end and you are stuck at infinite loading loop, if you dont see animation to start you better shutdown console,if you took time grinding those goblins for extra cash like i did you are going to be pissed because you are probably going to be send to that autosave where you have not done anything, there is also another place in Orobas Fjord at the imp's lair when you talk to Arthur Gremory you have to click ending fast so it wont get stuck, i want to actually read what NPC's are talking so i find that annoing, the big problem is the bosses, their difficulty level is higher than anything especially last fight and that general Stone, ohboy game went from hard to easy difficulty settings on there, i can bring down entire fortress on air and land but then 1 guy is taking my 500hp with 2 hits not to mention you always start right in front of the boss often having his henchman stun you so you cannot even move.

Didint like ending at all, but still i have been waiting this kind of game for a long time and i felt good doing quests at Orobas Fjord it was only place where you actually can get the feeling of just flying around, hatet those invisible walls, i wantet to fly over mountains but cant, it was probably there so i could not bybass anti dragon zones but still i would have wantet to have more freedom when flying.

journeyman
journeyman
You were told just before you reach the Temple of Doom, that you need bodies to sacrifice for Jagon. Or something to that effect.
So you were given a hint as how to get through.

ASUS M3N72-D
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane @ 3GHz
4 Gigs DDR2 PC6400 Dual Ch. Corsair
ASUS GeForce 9800GT 512MB x2 SLI
Win7 64bit or XP Pro x64
TonZa Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Necromancer wants corpses and you call that a hint? That is like saying mage need mana to cast spells or step carefully or you will die.

old hand
old hand
Mindreading the Captain in front of the temple shows how to do get past the first area of the temple.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by virumor
Mindreading the Captain in front of the temple shows how to do get past the first area of the temple.

/agree

I like a challenge and this for sure was one. Thanks for not just make us pull switches and solve puzzels that way.

TonZa Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
So that was what i miss then, but still poison was only one of the frustratin thing i had in there like i said even when i knew where the safe bath was it was useless, and i beat the boss just by charging at him throught poison cloud so he would never got free shots at me and i actually lost less hp that way.

But i have done with that, my game startet really badly and i faced the boss with rather bad gear still i have a feeling some of those bosses are not really fit that well in difficulty level, just a normal guy who hits a lot harder than most.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Or maybe you should just take a little more time to level up and find better equipment?

Just a thought.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by TonZa

Didint like ending at all
You're at the ending already in five days? I'm going to have to agree with Joram and the others - I think you're rushing through this game too fast.

veteran
veteran
Ok

TonZa Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by PseronWyrd
You're at the ending already in five days? I'm going to have to agree with Joram and the others - I think you're rushing through this game too fast.

Four actually, no gaming at christmas, have to have quality time with the family, after all Christmas is about only time in the year everyone are sitting on the same table. I startet my second playthrought now and game feels a whole lot different when you take your time with all the side quest, i was able to take on Jagon on hard difficulty because i outlevelled him by 3 level.

I also noticed some goblins that are considerable lower than you are, they cannot score no damage at all i always thought that would be NPC only feature, i guess my issue at the first playthrough was that i always were about 2-3 level lower than anything i was fighting. Didint notice that on trash mobs but bosses were nightmare.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Yup, took me a while to figure that one out as well wink I'm used to MMO gaming and mobs that outlevel you, c'mon... easy pie.

Not in this game though and actually it's quite logical... If they outlevel you, they SHOULD kill you or at least put up a hard fight. If you're equal then it's fair (actually easy, but meh...)

Nonetheless, if you don't do every sidequest, yet you still use mindread a lot then you're bound to be outleveled by everything :p
I still haven't finished the game yet, I'm not really into 2nd tries so I'm just gonna do everything I can in this first playthrough. So if you don't rush things, then there aren't much issues imo...

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard