Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well, i picked up the game but was very surprised to hear that there is no strategy guide for the game and there is no SKU in the game stores computer for a guide.
Which means there isn't even one in the works to come out in a few weeks.

Whats up with that ? how can we get the most out of the game if we don't have the guide to show us every little goodie that we can find or achievement we can earn ?

Great game, i'm really enjoying it but i'd enjoy it more with a guide.

apprentice
apprentice
Imo guides are not necessity to have, they are good to use only after you beat the game or get stuck, finding things by yourself is much more rewarding for gaming experience.

There is a guide for Divinity 2 if you still wish to use it though.
http://guides.gamepressure.com/divinityiiegodraconis/

old hand
old hand
There was a Prima Guide.
Its no longer for sale though.

The manuel states it's available sooo I wonder what happened to cause it not to be for sale anymore?

"He Who Lives By The Sword Shall Also Perish By The Sword."
Support
Support

I would assume they took the guide down until it was updated it to include things changed in the upcoming patch / North American version of the game.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by TonZa
Imo guides are not necessity to have, they are good to use only after you beat the game or get stuck, finding things by yourself is much more rewarding for gaming experience.

There is a guide for Divinity 2 if you still wish to use it though.
http://guides.gamepressure.com/divinityiiegodraconis/

Yes i do agree, however no matter how thorough we try to be, we're all only human we can't find everything, not without the guide.

Let's face it, none of us would have done and found all there is to do in Oblivion or Fallout 3 without the guides.

Last edited by Michael DAmico; 30/12/09 07:43 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yeah i found a guide but it's in the form of a PDF file, i downloaded it, on the off chance i get to print it out, but for now my wife goes on her laptop while i play and if i need to reference the guide she looks in the guide on her PC and helps me out.

It's all i found for now.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Never bought one and never will!

When I buy a game I want to figure out and find everything on my own, and not be cheated out of gameplay and exploring by some guide taking me by the hand to show me what I do not have the skill to figure out on my own.

Unfortunately some players buy guides with every game... follow the guide, and finish the game in a weekend, just to claim "I already finished the game!", and become legends in their own minds.

Sorry, but as a hard core gamer since the 1980's I would feel cheated if I had to use a guide to finish or explore a game without using my own noggin!

Don't have the patiance or skill?... then spend the extra 20.00 for a cheat/guide, which I would use to buy another game.

Last edited by The Outfield; 31/12/09 03:42 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by The Outfield

When I buy a game I want to figure out and find everything on my own, and not be cheated out of gameplay and exploring by some guide taking me by the hand to show me what I do not have the skill to figure out on my own.

Unfortunately some players buy guides with every game... follow the guide, and finish the game in a weekend, just to claim "I already finished the game!", and become legends in their own minds.

Sorry, but as a hard core gamer since the 1980's I would feel cheated if I had to use a guide to finish or explore a game without using my own noggin!

Don't have the patiance or skill?... then spend the extra 20.00 for a cheat/guide, which I would use to buy another game.

Hold on a second i'm also a die hard gamer, since the 70's in fact, so i know what your saying, however with games as long as 60 hours plus and as vast as they make RPG's now a days, those are the games i like guides for, because with games like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Divinity 2, you have no way of knowing if you've found everything and done everything there is to do.

So my point is it's just RPG's i just buy guides for, because of the 100's of quests and huge, vast worlds to explore and thousands of items and weapons to acquire, thats the stuff you need a guide for.

I once devoted over 90 hours to Oblivion and still never found every location or every weapon or fulfilled every quest until i got the guide....it was the same with Fallout 3.

So point being, certain game guides are a must for certain games.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Michael DAmico
Originally Posted by The Outfield

Hold on a second i'm also a die hard gamer, since the 70's in fact, so i know what your saying, however with games as long as 60 hours plus and as vast as they make RPG's now a days, those are the games i like guides for, because with games like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Divinity 2, you have no way of knowing if you've found everything and done everything there is to do.

So my point is it's just RPG's i just buy guides for, because of the 100's of quests and huge, vast worlds to explore and thousands of items and weapons to acquire, thats the stuff you need a guide for.

I once devoted over 90 hours to Oblivion and still never found every location or every weapon or fulfilled every quest until i got the guide....it was the same with Fallout 3.

So point being, certain game guides are a must for certain games.

Actually games like Fallout 3 have goodies like "bobbleheads" that you find, thus I have been playing the game for hundreds of hours just trying to collect all these on my own which I finally have without the use of a strategy guide, and enjoyed the game even more exploring on my own, and even a few other goodies!

Oblivion also has had me playing for over a year after finishing the game and expansions, yet when I read about a secret area, I play some more instead of using a walktrough or guide to show me the way!

Gaming for me is accomplising everything on my own, making my own destiny, and not following a path someone else has already found or discoverd, and posted for all to see. If I see a cool thing I missed in a game, and try to find it on my own... makes the game more enjoyable, and gives me a better experiance, and "gaming goodness" which the game developers want for all of us.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I can see both points being debated here. i put in over 150 very enjoyable hours into Oblivion without a guide and didnt miss it but i do like to have a tool like a game guide to help me in some of these ginormas r.p.g's that are out now also. it to me just enriches the overall experience without taking away anything from the games themselves. however there are people who fail to really enjoy a game because they are to busy looking in a guide to find out what it says they should do next rather than just trying to figure out on their own what they should do next witch to me seems to be the purpose of these next generation games

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Regardless of whether or not people approve of guides ... the game manual has an advert for a Prima Guide. Can this Prima Guide be bought or what? I wouldn't mind having it for my second playthrough. I'm being very thorough so far but I'm sure I am missing some stuff.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
"Strategy Guide" implies a need for strategy. All I did was walk through every dungeon, wait for the auto-targeting system to show the health of an enemy, fire off exploding arrows, watch the same death animation fire off in perfect synchronicity for every enemy that died, and walk on as if I hadn't a care in the world.

I'm not kidding. The action part of the game was basically OVER the moment I got my grubby evil mitts on exploding arrows. wink

Support
Support

I had assumed the Prima guide was removed from the site so they could update it to include changes made in the patch. However, posted a week ago in the prima forum:
Due to time constraints, Prima Games will not be able to publish a strategy guide for this game. We pride ourselves in providing our customers with the most in-depth strategy possible which would not have been possible in this case. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard