Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Mmm, now that you mention it, several years back, about 4, textures were`nt all that good, so the games relied on high poly count to make things look good, however looking back at it the poly counts were`nt all that high compared to now. But when talking about Divinity 2 ED, where textures are everything, the high poly count is pretty irrelevant. Though it would look by far better if it had smoother curves and details, but the only prob is that X360 would have trouble keeping up with the graphics, that`s prolly the only reason why it`s like this.

...........................::ALIVE::..........................

DeviRyuuD(Myojinoir) Reviews here
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DeviRyuuD
Though it would look by far better if it had smoother curves and details, but the only prob is that X360 would have trouble keeping up with the graphics, that`s prolly the only reason why it`s like this.

The thing is the Xbox 360 has no problem rendering high quality visuals (though not at the quality of a modern day over clocked high spec PC which has been argued over countless times so let's not get into this again).

Look at Xbox 360 games like Bayonetta, Gears of War 2, Modern Warfare 2, James Camerons Avatar, Oblivion, etc. They look far from bad and show the Xbox 360 is more than capable of pushing out good graphics even in more open world enviroments (go check out Avatar, seriously it looks very pretty and is pretty open). Past games before it show it's more than capable of rendering games at a high quality, even when multi platform.

I'm not buying that Larian dumbed down Divinity 2s graphics on PC because of the Xbox 360 (not that it looks bad on a decent PC anyway). The game looks technically bad for a Xbox 360 title (go over to xbox.com and read the sheer amount of complaints about it), not just a PC title. God even Risen, Mass Effect 1 & 2 (and Mass Effect was far from dumbed down for PC's), and Dragon Age (despite some texture issues) looks better. The game is poorly optimised for the Xbox 360 from control schemes, to graphics because it is a PC port.

Last edited by Unreal Warfare; 09/01/10 02:15 PM.

apprentice
apprentice
Marcus, you're really active on this thread in particular. I just wanted to know... Do you actually like Divinity II as a whole? I've seen you talk about it and it seems you know it well enough to have played it quite a bit. Just an honest answer. Forget PC, forget xbox, I'm talking about the GAME itself.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
jorlen yep i like divinity2

of course this game got alot of problems that need to be solved ( like rly bad balanced mobs and skills) but i finish game 2 times and i find it quitte fun . so bad end of game ( like last 5 hours) is god mode for your dragon knight and this is disapoiting . i hope them make addon soon :P

Last edited by marcusdavidus; 09/01/10 02:16 PM.

old hand
old hand
Once you've finished the game it's actually more fun on a replay. You know what the level of enemies will be in the game's areas and hence can fight them at the right level.

But of course, once you get above level 30 you're invincible. I think this is not bad... it takes long enough to become level 30 and you're supposed to be 'godlike' powerful. It's in fact similar to Morrowind this way.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
virumor if ur hardcore player like me second time u play u can easly end game in 17 hours onyl reazon so long is due of lvl diferences between u and enemys so speed run is imposible . but what fun u find in play game again and be sure that the same mob wil be in exacly the same spot ? totally no chelenge . i hope they will fix that in patch/addon

of course on top lvls u should be slighty more powerfull than some normall mobs but not freeking invicible and a bosses like deamon BAAL cannot do anything to u at all. hes an UBER deamon but he die faster than imp ...game should be flat dificult line not like it looks now

addict
addict
What "hardcore player" wants to rush through an RPG in 17 hours. I like to explore A LOT.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
G
apprentice
apprentice
G
^ ROFL
Who cares about poly`s anyway, what matters is the overall view

1) I care
2) ...and overall view is bad. Look on this colours, object, light effects etc.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
Originally Posted by Pyrion
I'd have to argue that poly counts used to be relevant back in the day when the only available way to give the illusion of detail was through high poly models, compensating for limited texture sizes and lack of shaders. Nowadays you'd want a high-res normal map on top of a high res skin on a low-poly model to achieve similar results with much less raw gpu utilization.

C`mon! Stone cannot be square.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Galnospoke
I'd have to argue that poly counts used to be relevant back in the day when the only available way to give the illusion of detail was through high poly models, compensating for limited texture sizes and lack of shaders. Nowadays you'd want a high-res normal map on top of a high res skin on a low-poly model to achieve similar results with much less raw gpu utilization.

C`mon! Stone cannot be square.

Stonehenge FW!

Last edited by Unreal Warfare; 09/01/10 04:43 PM.

Originally Posted by Galnospoke
^ ROFL
Who cares about poly`s anyway, what matters is the overall view

1) I care
2) ...and overall view is bad. Look on this colours, object, light effects etc.

Wow... then go back to your FPS`s, the only thing they have is graphics.

...........................::ALIVE::..........................

DeviRyuuD(Myojinoir) Reviews here
G
apprentice
apprentice
G

Wow... then go back to your FPS`s, the only thing they have is graphics.

Tetris über alles.

Last edited by Galnospoke; 09/01/10 06:45 PM.
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
FPS`s, the only thing they have is graphics.

Hey thats not true, some FPS games have depth in them, and some TPS like metroid 3 are also pretty complex.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Originally Posted by Libertarian
What "hardcore player" wants to rush through an RPG in 17 hours. I like to explore A LOT.

Do you also read books one character at a time to make sure you don't miss anything?

I can blow through a good 300-page novel in half that time and still enjoy it. I consider RPGs to be interactive novels, therefore I don't particularly give a damn about graphics or gameplay if the story's good.

Which it is, at least until you get to the ending...

N
stranger
stranger
N
I think 'hate' is too strong a word for the graphics in Div 2. Coming from someone who is incredibly picky about visuals in anything, I don't think the graphics are horrible, but definitely not Crysis or Resident Evil 5 either. Forests don't really seem very lush, but that's ok. Some of the animation looks fuzzy and choppy (specifically on allot of npc's when they are running, I noticed it quite a bit during one specific quest where I had to follow an npc to a location.) . Overall, I would have to say it mainly has to do with the engine. Tune it up, optimize it, could do some things for the visuals I think. The graphics aren't breathtaking (I was shocked, and still amazed, by crysis, and that was years ago.) But they are acceptable. My only real dislikes are the extreme fluctuations in difficulty (there been numerous times where the game has been fairly easy, and other times when I would enter a cave and there would be a large group of enemies that would kill me in 3-4 shots, being only 2 or so levels above mine, all on the same difficulty.) And dragon form. Honestly? I really don't look or feel very Fearful as the story portrays. But that's just my opinion.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
And it's a Good Thing it's not on par with Crysis. Then this forum would be chock full of people complaining about the slideshow of a framerate they'd have with their systems, nevermind the fact that it would never have managed to have been ported to the 360.

No, I would say the main problem with the graphics is that they took a Real Is Brown approach. Everything is dirty. Granted, it's a medieval theme, so it fits, but it seems like much of the game is evenly split between throwing a sepia brown tone over the entire screen, and throwing a sepia green tone over the entire screen.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
I play on the 360 and I think the graphics are amazing. But they are spoiled somewhat because there doesn't seem to be any anti alaising, so I get terrible jaggies on everything. I suppose they did that because they figured people would prefer the nice HDR lighting (you can't have both on most cards), but I personally prefer AA, at least on the character.

My other issue is I think the camera is zoomed way too far out and you can't adjust it. Those are my two main issues with the game right there, but neither are game breakers.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Don't know if the 360 port has this problem, but the PC version has a setting for render resolution and then one for stretching the result to fit the actual screen's resolution (and the stupid thing defaults to 1024x768), so the jaggies might be due to that.

N
stranger
stranger
N
And it's a Good Thing it's not on par with Crysis. Then this forum would be chock full of people complaining about the slideshow of a framerate they'd have with their systems, nevermind the fact that it would never have managed to have been ported to the 360.

I really don't understand why everyone says Crysis is a resource hog. It really isn't. The machine I first played it on was a budget machine. Minus monitor, mouse, keyboard, the tower itself was barely 1000$. Most expensive parts being case and powersupplyI could have sprung for a cheaper case and cheaper PSU and saved myself probably 200-250$. I'm sill using this budget machine by the way. I actually get better frames in crysis, about 25-30 (which is hardly slideshow, still acceptable.) at 1920x1200 than I do in Div 2 to be honest. (No AA, shadows to low.) What people don't seem to realize is that, with any game, not just Crysis, If you crank up everything, AA, all that, of course you will need an expensive high powered machine to run it. Besides, you cant even really notice AA in crysis or any game unless you truly look for it. I have no problem dropping smooth edges for cheap affordable frames any day.

Last edited by Ninjavitis; 10/01/10 01:25 AM.
P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Probably because the vast majority of gamers who spend that kind of money on both games and systems want to get as much out of their money as possible, so playing a new game at very low settings just to get good framerate simply doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

Now, for the cheaterstrike rejects who are used to the idea of buying completely new hardware just to drop the resolution to 800x600 and drop all settings to low along with a very high gl_picmip just to get the highest framerate possible as if it matters... well, they don't count. smile

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard