Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#398845 06/01/10 08:27 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Joined: Jan 2010
I don't know if you guys are aware of this or not, but over at Steam (USA) a forum has opened up for Divinity 2. You guys ought to monitor it, and respond to any questions that might be asked by the Steam members. The Steam forums for individual games usually see a fairly small amount of activity (meaning it would be relatively easy to monitor it), but whenever a developer actually does visit a forum like that it's always a good sign, and a reassuring one. Just a suggestion.

Joined: Dec 2009
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Dec 2009
Or they could register on the official forums like everyone else has.



Joined: Jan 2010
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Joined: Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Unreal Warfare
Or they could register on the official forums like everyone else has.


If by 'they' you mean the Steam users... well, a lot of those guys just like to hang around at Steam. I have no idea why people don't visit official forums, but sometimes they don't. I guess their reasoning is that they bought the game from Steam, where they buy most of their games, so that's where they expect to receive their support.

I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't work that way. The Steam people like to stay at Steam.

Last edited by WabeWalker; 06/01/10 08:34 PM.
Joined: Dec 2009
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Dec 2009
Originally Posted by Unreal Warfare
Or they could register on the official forums like everyone else has.


But that would be the logical thing to do lol xD


Let us swim in this sea of fire, and hope that the demons of doubt do not drown us.

xbox360 GamerTag- Bazomanda
Savan #398855 06/01/10 08:50 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Dec 2009
besides, it says at the top of the forum pages that the staff don't often have time to respond, so i don't think they'll be looking at another forum that is not actually theirs. I can imagine that their time is taken up with other (and more than likely) more important things.
If steam users want help with techs and the game play in general, then they really should check out the official pages.
I appreciate that they stick around steam forums because that's where they buy (including myself) but the official forums are made for a reason. Gotta be kinda a lazy to not look them up atleast.....it's what? a few clicks away?


Let us swim in this sea of fire, and hope that the demons of doubt do not drown us.

xbox360 GamerTag- Bazomanda
Savan #398856 06/01/10 08:58 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Dec 2009
Originally Posted by Savan
Gotta be kinda a lazy to not look them up atleast.....it's what? a few clicks away?


My thoughts exactly.



Joined: Jan 2010
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Joined: Jan 2010
Okay, I'm not defending anybody here - as you can see, I've registered at this forum myself. And yes I would agree that Steam members really should visit the official forums more often. But I've noticed, from observation, that a lot of them don't.

I was only trying to make a helpful suggestion. If you want to bite my head off for it then fine. Sheesh.

Joined: Dec 2009
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Dec 2009
Not biting your head off, just giving our opinion. It's a public forum, wake up!



Joined: Dec 2009
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Dec 2009
Originally Posted by WabeWalker
Okay, I'm not defending anybody here - as you can see, I've registered at this forum myself. And yes I would agree that Steam members really should visit the official forums more often. But I've noticed, from observation, that a lot of them don't.

I was only trying to make a helpful suggestion. If you want to bite my head off for it then fine. Sheesh.


I wasn't having a go at steam users nor biting off your head :I


Let us swim in this sea of fire, and hope that the demons of doubt do not drown us.

xbox360 GamerTag- Bazomanda
Savan #398875 06/01/10 09:52 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Netherlands
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Netherlands
Even tough i agree that steam users should use the official boards for their issues as well.
But since there are also "customers" on that forum I understand Larian could keep the reputation high and help there out if needed.

But hey they are probably busy anyway wink
Nice advice tough Wabewalker


-------
You don't know what you got, Till it's gone.
-------
Lunainin #398879 06/01/10 10:00 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Dec 2009
Originally Posted by Lunainin
Even tough i agree that steam users should use the official boards for their issues as well.
But since there are also "customers" on that forum I understand Larian could keep the reputation high and help there out if needed.

But hey they are probably busy anyway wink
Nice advice tough Wabewalker


Ok.

So Larian should also visit the xbox.com forums aswell then, as they have a large fanbase over there too.

What about every other gaming forum a fanbase develops?

It's not really practical when they don't even visit this forum enough.



Joined: Jan 2010
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Joined: Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Unreal Warfare
Originally Posted by Lunainin
Even tough i agree that steam users should use the official boards for their issues as well.
But since there are also "customers" on that forum I understand Larian could keep the reputation high and help there out if needed.

But hey they are probably busy anyway wink
Nice advice tough Wabewalker


Ok.

So Larian should also visit the xbox.com forums aswell then, as they have a large fanbase over there too.

What about every other gaming forum a fanbase develops?

It's not really practical when they don't even visit this forum enough.



You're completely missing the point.

Steam is the single biggest digital distribution network on the planet. People go their to spend their hard-earned money on games - and because many of their favorite games are linked to Steam, they naturally have a fierce loyalty to it.

The websites you've named are just a bunch of gaming websites. Those websites are just independent places where people go to rant or rave about games.

If you've spent literally hundreds of dollars at Steam, and have dozens of games linked to their site, then that site is going to take on a whole new meaning for you. Steam is like a virtual shelf that's filled with your favorite games. If you can't understand that this makes Steam different than an ordinary gaming website, such as TeamXbox, then I'd quite frankly advise you not to go into the gaming business.

Small developers who choose to ignore their own customers do so at their own peril. Sure, the giants like Infinity Ward can ignore their fan base and get away with it - small developers, on the other hand, need to develop loyal followings. I've spent some time at the Steam forums, and I can assure you from observation that the Steam members appreciate it when the developers stop by and take notice. (Visit the King Arthur forum at Steam, if you don't believe me.)

And quite frankly, I would argue that right now Steam is the only digital distribution network that the developers need to pay attention to. Even at a place like D2D (which is just as good as Steam) you don't see that loyal following. Steam is taking on steam, so to speak, and developers need to pay attention to it.

Sure, you can come into this thread and argue that the people at Steam need to register here instead. In my opinion, that's just dumb, because for a lot of Steam users that's just not going to happen. You have to cater to your customers, and learn about their likes and dislikes, whether you like it or not! Sorry, but that's how the world works.

I stand by my original suggestion. If Larian is smart, then they'll send somebody over to the Steam forum.


Joined: Dec 2009
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Dec 2009
Originally Posted by WabeWalker
You're completely missing the point.


No I'm not. I know very well what Steam is thankyou seems I have a Steam account.

xbox.com, for a start, is the official Microsoft site tied in with Xbox Live which is one of the biggest online gaming services (with well over 20 million subscribers) next to distributors like Steam. Also, tied in with Games for Windows Live etc, you can buy games and content from the marketplace via the website and then download it later via your Xbox 360 making them just as much a distributor as Steam, only on a console instead of a PC.

So if you think it's just some random gaming website where all people do on it is rant about games I would do some research instead of trying to mock people about their intentions of getting involved with the gaming industry.

If people want their tech support then they can come here, like you managed to, where they are more likely to have their questions answered. If they're too lazy to lift their fingers and fill out a quick registration that takes all of a couple of minutes at the most then that's their problem.

Last edited by Unreal Warfare; 07/01/10 12:29 AM.


Joined: Jan 2010
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Joined: Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Unreal Warfare
Originally Posted by WabeWalker
You're completely missing the point.


No I'm not. I know very well what Steam is thankyou seems I have a Steam account.

xbox.com, for a start, is the official Microsoft site tied in with Xbox Live which is one of the biggest online gaming services (with well over 20 million subscribers) next to distributors like Steam. Also, tied in with Games for Windows Live etc, you can buy games and content from the marketplace via the website and then download it later via your Xbox 360 making them just as much a distributor as Steam, only on a console instead of a PC.

So if you think it's just some random gaming website where all people do on it is rant about games I would do some research instead of trying to mock people about their intentions of getting involved with the gaming industry.

If people want their tech support then they can come here, like you managed to, where they are more likely to have their questions answered. If they're too lazy to lift their fingers and fill out a quick registration that takes all of a couple of minutes at the most then that's their problem.


Yup - missed the point.

Joined: Dec 2009
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Dec 2009
Originally Posted by WabeWalker
Yup - missed the point.


I'll say it again for you in case the school you went to fails at teaching basic reading skills.

I understand the point you are making quite clearly.

However that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

See, distribution aside, it all boils down to community. Now Divinity 2 is released on two platforms currently, PC and Xbox 360, and the two biggest communities for both platforms are Steam and xbox.com (which, due to being the official Microsoft Xbox 360 website, has its fair share of developers frequent also from companies like EA, Ubisoft, Bungie, and Infinity Ward) respectively. Now if you don't think xbox.com is an important community to reach out to then you clearly know nothing about the Xbox 360, Xbox Live, or xbox.com, and really should just stop talking here.

See your main argument here has been non shifting loyalty to Steam, rather than methods of distribution, and regardless of any shift in debate that will always be the main point of it, because it is the most relevant. Now you can argue until you're blue in the face but it really isn't hard for a Steam, or xbox.com user to lift their fingers, type in a website address then a few registration details, and get their support here just like the rest of us have.

As said by myself and other users on this thread, from both communities respectively, if you want support from Larian then come here for it. They will unlikely have the time and resources to manage support on other sites when they barely have the time and resources to manage support on their own.

Last edited by Unreal Warfare; 07/01/10 10:04 AM.


Joined: Apr 2005
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2005
I think "everybody", each player of D II, CAN help all other players, isn't it?

And a helpful hand could be anything:
* give hints and tips for general gameplay or puzzles in a game ...
* give a hyperlink to this offical Larian forum! wink
* give information about where to find the best info, like technical service ('bug' problems and so on...)

Gamers help each other, that's the best thing I known, because 'the Larian team' haven't the time to look over millions of sites over the world wide internet to search where players have problems with the game and I think there are already happy they could "a little bit (a part of..;)" reading on their own forum of ALL what is written down here! laugh



On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #399034 07/01/10 10:33 AM
Joined: Dec 2009
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Dec 2009
Originally Posted by Joram
I think "everybody", each player of D II, CAN help all other players, isn't it?

And a helpful hand could be anything:
* give hints and tips for general gameplay or puzzles in a game ...
* give a hyperlink to this offical Larian forum! wink
* give information about where to find the best info, like technical service ('bug' problems and so on...)

Gamers help each other, that's the best thing I known, because 'the Larian team' haven't the time to look over millions of sites over the world wide internet to search where players have problems with the game and I think there are already happy they could "a little bit (a part of..;)" reading on their own forum of ALL what is written down here! laugh



I agree.



Joram #399060 07/01/10 12:19 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Joined: Jan 2010
Divinity 2 is being sold on Steam, which is the largest digital distribution site on the planet - it's not going to hurt Larian to send a P.R. rep. over there from time to time.

And by the way, Steam had a promotion for exclusive items, which haven't shown up in some peoples' inventories where they were supposed to be. If somebody from Larian were to post at the site, saying that they were looking into it, then it would go a long way towards reassuring people.

And please don't tell me that this is a Steam issue - again, that would be missing the point entirely. It's NOT Steam who will end up suffering if people end up feeling pissed off about not receiving their exclusive items. Larian will suffer for that, and Larian needs to be pro-active about issues exactly like this one.

Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Krynn
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Krynn
I'm already on the Steam forums, will see what I can do, thx for the heads up. But indeed, we cannot be everywhere and not all problems can be fixed or helped with by devs. It's also sometimes a publisher thing smile


Tweeting @forktong
ForkTong #399139 07/01/10 06:46 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
M
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
M
Joined: Jan 2010
I think WabeWalker's suggestion was a very good one. Made sense to me at least.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5