Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MrBeez Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I'm ten sorts of frustrated. smirk I just downloaded off of steam.
I get through the initial screens, then when I click 'new game' it goes to a load screen, then crashes out with a windows error. I've tried changing resolutions, also varied from max to lowest graphics settings, physx and directx with the vb thing are all installed and updated.

Running XP, 2.66 intel duo, 2.75 gigs of ram, nvidia deforce 8800gtx.
I'm trying a reinstall now, gonna sleep while it re-downloads, will update in the morning if fixed.
Please haaaalp, I read through the whole forum and the first aid kit thing.

Support
Support

Can you not re-install without re-downloading the game? I have not used Steam, but I can't see not being able to backup a game, even if you have to be online to install it, etc.

I don't know if this will help, but Mehale in the Never ending loading screen. 100% of the time topic posted a link for a save game just after the intro. Presumably the game has maintained backward compatability even if there were changes to the save game format, so perhaps this save could help narrow down the problem.

M
MrBeez Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hello and thanks for the reply!
I wanted a fresh download to be certain of its integrity, but upon reinstall I faced the
same problem. I downloaded and placed the savegame but when I go go 'load game' from the menu
it lists as an incompatible language version. Thanks again for the suggestion, I appreciate any
and all help. smile

M
MrBeez Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Could there be an issue with me using the most recent version of directx as opposed to v9.0c?

Support
Support

I don't think there should be a problem with the latest version of DirectX available for XP. The First Aid topic recommends downloading the latest DirectX 9c to install in addition to 10/11 on Vista/7.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Sorry for replying on this thread, but well - I also got the game today as my late christmas present, and your problem may be similar to mine.

I have a 3Ghz C2 Duo, XP SP 3, 2GB Ram and a Geforce 8800GTS, obtained the game via steam and had issues with crashing on load of the game / start of game....

I must admit general advice on the internet seems fairly poor, drivers are up to date, no dodgy codecs etc. I am a former systems administrator (I get paid for doing less these days!) so its nothing nasty behind the scenes (other than the usual Microsoft nasties).

The game settings are located (change [USER] for whatever user you run as) in windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Local Settings\Application Data\Divinity 2\Profile\

for troubleshooting at first, I reset the graphics options back by deleting the graphicoptions.xml file in the Profile directory (thanks for not providing a utility to do this simple task, its fun to have to locate where settings are hidden) and then turning off the 'UI in desktop res option' when running the game for the first time as it appears to me whatever the issue is has something to do with screen draw.

This leaves the game running at 1024x768...

I have so far tried running for a while on 'uglyvision' which while not exactly fully stable, seems to allow me to at least play... its not much of a solution, but I will attempt to write more as I experiment with getting it to run...

Incidentally notching up the res results in crashing on loading the game (after the logo movies) and/or crashing on game load of existing games. If I set to 1024x768 I seem to be able to get away with any graphics setting I have tried... so drawing issue or some type... hmm...

[Update - Rather than post again 22:41 - 07-Jan-2010]

Turning off (Disabling) Physx GPU acceleration in the Geforce control panel allows me to play in full res, with proper settings - the game looks okay, and responds well. Also appears to have solved the random crashing on tabbing out - oddly enough.

Hope this helps you too,

StarKillar

Last edited by StarKillar; 07/01/10 10:59 PM.
M
MrBeez Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Unfortunately, it looks like disabling Physx acceleration in my nvidia control panel
doesnt do the trick, but thank you very much for going through so much trouble. smile
It's starting to look like I tossed a wad of cash in the trash heh. I'll keep fiddling
with things and see if I can get lucky.

edit - Nope, not lucky :P

Last edited by MrBeez; 08/01/10 12:34 AM.
M
MrBeez Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
*bump* Plaeeese heeeelp

journeyman
journeyman
How old is your system?
Have you updated the sound card drivers?
What OS?

ASUS M3N72-D
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane @ 3GHz
4 Gigs DDR2 PC6400 Dual Ch. Corsair
ASUS GeForce 9800GT 512MB x2 SLI
Win7 64bit or XP Pro x64
M
MrBeez Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
2 years old, windows xp professional and at this point i've uninstalled and reinstalled pretty
much all of my drivers, so i'm fairly confident that I'm up to date.

W
stranger
stranger
W
Got the exact same problem, all drivers should be up to date... Disabling physx in control panel didnt work. Reinstalling from steam at the moment..

M
MrBeez Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I've reinstalled twice now with no effect, sorry buddy, looks like we're screwed.
I guess 'german engineering' doesnt extend to comp engies wink

W
stranger
stranger
W
Im now downloading a version which legality could be discussed just to see if its steam or the copy protection who is the culprit here.

M
MrBeez Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Please let me know if you've any luck man. The legality of it isnt as shady when you've already bought the game.

W
stranger
stranger
W
Nah failed aswell, demo worked when it came though, so its something they messed up lately i guess.

P
poc Offline
stranger
stranger
P
I had same exactly the same problem the specs I had were well enough to play the game but it would not get past trying to load the new game, what i did was borrow a friends computer with a freshly installed OS of 7 and a different video card it ran fine, so I placed his video card in my machine and it would not play so I came to the conlusion that it is probably a software clash with something on my computer, so bit the bullet and freshly installed on my computer a new OS 7 and it ran fine...

W
stranger
stranger
W
Meh ive just given up on this game for now, this is Gothic 3 all over again (even worse). Just shows that i should have tried the pirated version first, but at least it was really cheap on steam...

M
MrBeez Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Does anyone know if the devs are even working on any additional fixes? The new patch doesnt apply to US versions, and since it -just- came out i'm going to assume months will pass before the next? frown

apprentice
apprentice
Have the same exact problem as the OP/MrBeez

Have tried disabling the Physx, didn't help...will try deleting that graphics line (graphicoptions.xml)that StarKillar suggested.

I also re-installed my AMD Dual Core Optimizer.

I've played with different resolutions and graphic settings.

So far I can not get past the "New Game" loading icon...it just CTD and I get the Microsoft Error Report Box to send the report. Oddly there is NO Error Code listed though..?

My info/DxDiag is here btw for comparison.

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=402812#Post402812

Good luck to all affected, maybe at some point well be able to figure this out wink

Regards

ps @ MrBeez - I believe the new 1.03 patch is for the English (NA) version as well.

Last edited by Rolend; 20/01/10 02:40 PM.

"believe in what gods you may, but TRUST in cold hard steel!"
old hand
old hand
There is a very small size patch for the NA 1.03 version, where file size is only bout 12mb+

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard