Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
old hand
old hand
Never heard of Giant Bomb before, but it's pretty sad how people in the comments are sucking up to the reviewers like a bunch of drones.

Last edited by virumor; 11/01/10 11:18 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I don't like giant bomb at all. I tried to give that site a chance, but it's like the people there worship the guys reviewing the games and don't even bother to question it. You can even see it in the comments. It's quite scary. And the general feeling I got in the forums / discussion was not good at all. There are plenty of other gaming sites / communities out there, that one is certainly not one I like.

What sealed the deal was when I read the comments about demon's souls, how the reviewers didn't even bother to review the game, which IMO is one of the best games of this generation.

Oh and that quick look, was absolutely dreadful. It shows the people playing the game aren't even TRYING to figure stuff out. I just shook my head asking myself, "wtf is wrong with these guys?". I understand not all games are for everyone but they weren't even trying...

Last edited by Jorlen; 11/01/10 11:39 PM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Jorlen
I don't like giant bomb at all. I tried to give that site a chance, but it's like the people there worship the guys reviewing the games and don't even bother to question it. You can even see it in the comments. It's quite scary. And the general feeling I got in the forums / discussion was not good at all. There are plenty of other gaming sites / communities out there, that one is certainly not one I like.

What sealed the deal was when I read the comments about demon's souls, how the reviewers didn't even bother to review the game, which IMO is one of the best games of this generation.

Oh and that quick look, was absolutely dreadful. It shows the people playing the game aren't even TRYING to figure stuff out. I just shook my head asking myself, "wtf is wrong with these guys?". I understand not all games are for everyone but they weren't even trying...

Destructoid is the same way. This one reviewer on that blog likes to trash games for attention. He also does it with the Playstation 3. He'll bash it constantly for attention. And the comments simply praise his played out bullshit.

I'm amazed by the misguided stupidity that plagues humanity these days. Of course, I could simply write them all off as children and they just don't know any better, but I'm sure many are 18+, which makes it all even more sad.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
apprentice
apprentice
I'm not a particular fan of Giant Bomb but this *isn't* a review. Their "Quick Looks" are just that - a quick video of the opening parts of a game as played straight off the bat. They've had some good footage in the past and it can be quite useful to see someone play, rather than just marketing videos.

Stuff @ RPGWatch https://www.rpgwatch.com/
I guess it is safe to say their review will not be favorable. Hopefully they will give credit where credit is due and will use a balanced scale approach. However, I am expecting them to sweep most of the positives under the rug, while grading the game almost entirely on the cons instead. In which case, I think 'Giant Bomb' would be more aptly suited for their reviewing methods rather than being the name of their website. wink

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
If you guys think this is intolerable, just wait 'til Yahtzee gets a hold of it.

journeyman
journeyman
Interesting link, Pyrion. I just watched one of that guy's reviews and vomited all over my desk.
Looks like Yahtzee excels at the worst kind of persona-pushing "I'm so edgy" ego-writing, yuck!

Experience the Witch Hunter Chronicles at https://whchronicles.wordpress.com !
stranger
stranger
I wouldn't call that a "trashing." They just picked the game up and played it a bit (i.e. what you see is what you get). They called out the graphical issues that popped up, and fairly commented that the controls were wonky and the combat hard if you just charge headlong into it. Most of their negative impressions seemed to stem from the fact that they were playing the console version (which does look like a mediocre port). As they said themselves at the end, playing the game on the PC is the way to go, assuming you're looking for a deep, old-school RPG (which is admittedly a niche audience among game players).

Last edited by Tiberius; 12/01/10 09:30 AM.
N
stranger
stranger
N
They might have been bashing it, but they did have some valid points. One of the first things they mentioned was saving. I've run into countless save issues since I've been playing. Numerous times I have quick saved before turning in a quest or doing something else, only to hit quick load only to return to the LOCATION where the quick save was used. None of the data was saved, I was only teleported. Also, difficulty. I didn't have much of a problem, but without any kind of warning, For alot of people not used to this style of game, will be a huge turn off. Like they said, as a level 3 player, not being capable of handling a group of level 4 enemies is pretty bad. Even as a warrior I noticed it a few times. This game had some huge potential in my opinion. Awesome concept, truthfully. Turning into a dragon is incredibly cool. Getting your own fortress tower, with multiple uses, also very cool. But there's so much this game lacks. I refuse to believe this game used the same engine as Oblivion, unless I am shown some concrete proof. If it's true, then larian studios, I am sorry to say (If this sounds harsh, I'm sorry, I used to be in the military.) but they S*** the bed as far as graphics and use of the engine go. Oblivion looks much much better. The guys in the video mentioned the water. That was one of the first things I noticed right after starting the game, That the water looked like jelly almost. Everything else just looks bland and pale. Oblivion's use of the engine caused things to look much more lush, vibrant, and overall interesting. Both games play somewhat similar, but Oblivion accomplished the difficulty a bit better since stuff scales with you as you level, while still having areas that are too hard or too easy. As far as loot goes, Most of the stuff I have picked up is junk, heroic, rare, magical, legendary, a majority has been junk. I won't put out too many examples for fear of spoilers.

It's a cool game and cool concept, has some good points to it, but at the same time, it could use some serious work. I highly doubt I will be replaying it, especially if numerous people say the ending is terrible. And since I purchased the game on steam, I am screwed in that area.

apprentice
apprentice
Ninja, the thing is that they only spoke of the negative aspects of the game.

I'm not arguing that D2 is perfect, but when a reviewer focuses solely on a game's faults is when their credibility takes a nosedive, at least for me.

I know this was just a "first look" or whatever, but if it's the same guys doing the review, I can pretty much see where it's going.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by Jorlen
Ninja, the thing is that they only spoke of the negative aspects of the game.

I'm not arguing that D2 is perfect, but when a reviewer focuses solely on a game's faults is when their credibility takes a nosedive, at least for me.

I know this was just a "first look" or whatever, but if it's the same guys doing the review, I can pretty much see where it's going.

I know that, and I never said that it was a good review of the game, I only said that they brought up some valid points.

On a side note, I think Yahtzee is absolutely hilarious. His reviews really aren't meant to be taken seriously. Hes ripped apart MANY of my favorite games, and ones that I thoroughly enjoyed, but I still got some really good laughs as he ripped them up. It's all in good fun, some people are just more picky than others. This guy, doubly so. He's just painfully blunt and detailed about a game's faults.

Last edited by Ninjavitis; 13/01/10 04:44 AM.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard