Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
I just got some new gauntlets after a quest which add, through a magic enchantment, 3 to magic protection. Now there is buff icon at the top of the screen which stands means my magical protection is increased. That's great, but I dont need an icon to tell me. I ve got the game on high settings, looking good and now I have an icon in the way permanently until i take off the gauntlets. I know that I will eventually find more items like this and it isnt neccessary to have a line of buffs blocking the top of the screen. This is just my view, if anyone has any comments then post them.

It never bothered me. Hell, most of the time I did not even notice they were there because I was so into the game.

B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
Thats kinda my problem, the less stuff there is on the screen, the more involved I feel. With a line of squares at the top, it will block my view of the horizon and just plain get in the way. Besides, it is just unneccesary.

N
stranger
stranger
N
I hate having to guess what half of them were.

B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
Yeah, I'll get to that point. I hope turning these off will become an option in a patch or part of a mod or something, but getting other things fixed is more important so I wont hold my breath.

Meh, they never bothered me, i didnt even realise they were there until my second playthrough.

...........................::ALIVE::..........................

DeviRyuuD(Myojinoir) Reviews here
apprentice
apprentice
Coming from playing MMO's, I'm fine with them. D2 takes quite a few cues from MMO's which makes me quite happy. I always wanted a single player MMO (sans the tediuos grinding, grouping with tools, etc. Granted I group with a guy that likes to take a whiz every 2 minutes...)

I
apprentice
apprentice
I
Originally Posted by BartucTheBloody
I just got some new gauntlets after a quest which add, through a magic enchantment, 3 to magic protection. Now there is buff icon at the top of the screen which stands means my magical protection is increased. That's great, but I dont need an icon to tell me. I ve got the game on high settings, looking good and now I have an icon in the way permanently until i take off the gauntlets. I know that I will eventually find more items like this and it isnt neccessary to have a line of buffs blocking the top of the screen. This is just my view, if anyone has any comments then post them.

So you have never played a mmorpg then?

B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
Honestly no, I've always been a single player kind of guy. I guess I'm not used to any MMO features then.

old hand
old hand
IMO TES4: Oblivion handles this very well. Permanent buffs (like the gauntlet's protection) aren't displayed, while temporary ones are displayed until they run out.
On the active effects tab in your spellbook, you could then view all the effects that are affecting you, be it temporary or permanent.

I
apprentice
apprentice
I
Originally Posted by BartucTheBloody
Honestly no, I've always been a single player kind of guy. I guess I'm not used to any MMO features then.

Hmm, for me i like it,having played mmorpg for the last ten years you need to know when buffs are running out and what buffs you have. As for single player games i can understand that they are not really needed so much but it's always good to see what buffs you have going.

If you ever intend to play any mmorpg this is something you might have to get used to.

Upcoming games like APB(all points bulletin) and SWTOR(star wars the old republic) will have buffs showing.

The reason i mentioned the two above games is because we will get a lot of first timers playing these two mmorpg.

APB is a mmorpg that will be like GTA on-line,not just a multiplayer but a full mmorpg with 100.000 of players on one each server.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icR3LtEMvZI
http://www.apb.com/

BioWares SWTOR,think KOTOR but a mmorpg with thousands of people on-line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C20uprswRMg

Get used to it mate,if you will be playing any of these games.. laugh

Last edited by Ineluke; 16/01/10 01:44 PM.
old hand
old hand
The latest patch improve the situation a bit. There no more repeating buff icons like in order versions where you end up having few lines of buff icons. The buff icon in my game wont be displaying anymore once I load a new game, until I access my inventory, the buffs will show again meh

B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
I didnt play Oblivion much so I didnt notice they handled it perfectly.
Originally Posted by ACSS
The latest patch improve the situation a bit. There no more repeating buff icons like in order versions where you end up having few lines of buff icons. The buff icon in my game wont be displaying anymore once I load a new game, until I access my inventory, the buffs will show again meh

Could you clarify that a bit more? I have the new 1.3 patch, works without starting over btw, but if I start a new game the permanent buffs will pop up only after accessing the inventory?

old hand
old hand
Well I noticed when I loading into the game, the buff icons wont be showing on the top right corner of the screen. But after I access my inventory and resume back to game, those icons reappear. But its better than before patch as there no more repeating on the same buff icons.

B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
Oh alright, never got the repeating icons, but this still isnt better imo, guess I'll never go into my inventory again. grin

Last edited by BartucTheBloody; 17/01/10 07:55 AM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
Just get killed and when you relode game they will be gone / So will the buff; then you will have to reeqqep everything to get your buffs back.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard