Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by flixerflax
I haven't played this yet but it's starting to sound like Larian stretched themselves too thin by trying to make two versions of the game rather than one polished PC version.

No. They stretched themselves too thin by trying to make too many different versions full stop.

addict
addict
Honestly, I feel that both versions serve their purpose quite well. They both have their flaws, but neither version has made me think "damn, this game is complete shit and shouldn't exist". It's a satisfying game no matter which system you play it on. The PC version is better, but I think 360 does the job more than enough, at least for me it did. I didn't run into the crippling save issue. That's the only HUGE complaint I could really level against it, had I experienced it. Sure, the tech issues are there, but they don't stop me from getting fun and enjoyment out of every moment in Divinity II.

Last edited by Libertarian; 18/01/10 09:28 PM.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by The Outfield
Originally Posted by MonkeyLungs
They are overly harsh in this review but they make some damn good points.

Calling Larian out on the inexcuable state of the Xbox 360 NA release is something they had to do. WAY too many bugs made it through QA to the Xbox.

Patches don't make up for the mistake either. Many people do not have internet connected to their consoles. If they buy this game for 360 and encounter a save game bug ... game over with no way of fixing the game.

ALL Xbox 360 games get updates/patches just like PC games, so anyone without an Xbox Live account should not complain of minor issues with a game, same as if they play Pc games without an internet connection, and cannot update/patch.

I'm on my second playthrough of the Xbox 360 version and have had not a single game killing bug, although I also do NOT overwrite save games which around 50 Xbox 360 games have had issues with, and most have already been patched. I also played almost halfway through the first time without even knowing about the save/overwite issue, thus it's not abug that everyone has experianced.

Not ALL Xbox 360 games get patches. Many do, many don't. Not every console owner has their 360 connected to the internet, so many won't be able to get the patch, when and if it is ever released.

I am also on my 2nd playthrough. I haven't had the save bug EXCEPT when I tried to use an auto save after dying. My prior self save was hours prior and I had forgot to save. I tried using the auto save and I reloaded DEAD. Had that been my only save ... game over. INEXCUSABLE. Being an apologist for this doesn't fly in rational conversation. The Xbox 360 NA version save bug is rampant.

There are numerous quest bugs and dialogue bugs.

veteran
veteran
Hmmm....
"WHy", do you think, you can read "XBOX 360 Live" on the cover of this game? That is not for nothing: "Live" is a possible requirment! wink

So people are warning: you can play the game without internet, but if ....

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
No that is not what it means. Xbox heavily pushes Live. It is a marketing tactic. Content downloads at the very minimum are encouraged by MS. Live is not a warning that the damn game might need a patch. In fact MS really doesn't like developers using the release now patch later concept ...

addict
addict
Microsoft doesn't like the concept of patches? Could've fooled me. Nearly every Microsoft Games Studio release has had multiple patches.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
No they don't. That's why there is a size limit. DLC's that add to the game are encouraged. Release now patch later is not. Unfortunately games get released with severe bugs and need patching. In this case it is not the easiest process for a developer.

They do not encourage the use of patches to fix games. Do games get patches? Yes of course but this is not something that should be so commonplace on a console.

Div 2 has some serious flaws. Where is the 360 patch?

addict
addict
Errr, what? Gears of War 1 & 2 both received heavy patching throughout their lives. Same can be said about most titles this generation to an extent. I've downloaded patches for nearly every title I've played.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Honestly? I have played the full game on 360 (German version) and I really liked it. I had no bugs whatsoever and I don't even know what save game bug you are talking about. The only thing I felt was that the game became too easy at the end...level 34 and just maxed out whirlwind, health leach and regeneration. For the last hours I never need health potions or anything else (on normal) and the final fight was a bit refreshing since I once more needed potions (which I had zillions of).

Over all I felt the Xbox version was a really good game, with a nice story and - at least for me - bug free. I can imagine that when you train several more skills the handling might become a complicated, but I never used more skills than whirlwind and the fast storm attack, so it was fair enough. I am looking forward to the add on ;-)

W
stranger
stranger
W
This is my opinion. I feel a lot of western gamers want their hand held. I think a lot of western gamers are Hollywood zombies. This game is hard. This game is tough. It requires you to get out and think. IT doesn't old your hand, and you are punished for doing stupid things. I feel a lot of western reviewers play these European titles and get frustrated because they are brutal. They in turn grow angry and slam the title. I played risen. IT was slammed on. At first I hated it. It was brutal, and it doesn't hold your hand. I took the time to learn it, and it is an awesome title. The same thing goes for x3. Games like oblivion and dragon age do well reviewer wise because thy hold your hand. They are both pretty easy titles.

I easily place the game above the steaming pile of mediocre dragon age. Dragon age plays exactly the same as NW1. Divinity II plays fresh. I love being able to roll around and dodge attacks.

I feel for the developers. They put their whole heart and soul into this title. It is spectacular. It has a lot of beauty. The music is incredible. The 5.1 digital audio sounds incredible on my alien ware laptop.

I give this game an 8.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
This game is not hard. It is more of a nod to older school type of RPG gameplay. Any RPG vet will figure out quickly how to dominate in Div2.

Talk to everyone, do as many quests as possible, explore everywhere you can survive then push into areas where you have a very difficult time surviving. Exploit the AI to get big XP gains. Complete your quests after you gain maximum XP's from fighting in the areas to further your maximum Xp returns ... ie. don't level too far with quest XP while you can maximise your fighting XP, then go back and get the XP for quests.

Although I agree the new generation of gamers used tohuge flashing signs telling them where to go for quests might have a tough time.

The game is good. Yes the Devs poured their heart and soul into it. I PAID for my copy with dollars as a pre-order. I showed them my good faith in their product by paying prior to even receiving it.

I enjoy the game.

I WANT A MF'IN PATCH SOON THOUGH.

The music is awesome and I especially like how there are ALOT of different tracks. Sure, they are short and re-loop too soon but I really dig how going into new areas fires up some new tunes. My favorite is the tune at Dragon Cliff Castle.

old hand
old hand
I wont even want to compare it to DAO, as I feel bored quickly by heaps of conversations, the need of improving companions approvals and eventually uninstalled it in early stages during my 2nd play through. It just feels lack of "Action" to me. I more prefer rpg types like risen and d2. Remind me a lot of some old school favorite such as seiken dentsu series.

W
stranger
stranger
W
Monkey,
I am an old school rpger. I played the old original ultimas and wizardry s. I played all of the ultimas, wizardrys, and bards tales. I have been doing rpgs since the early 80s.

This game isn't hard per say. IT is a lot harder then most of the rpg on the market right now. So for the average gamer used to Final Fantasy or some other casual rpg, this is hard. I don't find it extremely hard. I do feel you have to play smart to figure it out.

The game definitely doesn't hold your hand. In oblivion there is a marker showing you where to go next. I like how his game doesn't have that. You get to explore the world, and you are rewarded by doing so.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
I agree 100% about the quest marker thing. I can't stand having a magic compass in a game. Takes away alot of the fun.

T
stranger
stranger
T
With the utmost objectivity I will tell you that and IGN review is no more or less bias than any one of us doing a review - although I doubt any of us receive kick-backs personally or to our employer by developers and publishers based on our reviews.

Has the Gamespot/Kane & Lynch scandal taught us nothing? Regardless of this game's quality anyone who relies on ign or any game review site for their information is lost. They've senselessly praised sub poor and even poor titles and they've slammed successful titles as well - they're human, they're biased, they're faulted.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I kind of agree/disagree on certain things here. For one, I loved the music in this game. I can't see how anyone wouldn't. The game itself was a great game. The only thing I think was missing would be dungeons/side areas to go to that would randomly generate or something. Just somewhere to go back to and be able to keep killing things. But the one thing that completely ruined the whole game for me was the ending. I'm sorry but how a game (or movie for that matter) ends is a HUGE deciding factor for me, and the ending just ruined my opinion of this game.

Last edited by TheRev; 21/01/10 08:09 PM.
H
stranger
stranger
H
I have just defeated Laiken and got my dragon form (keep dying though so have to practise!) so I have played the game long enough to form some opinions. I have read many reviews, and I am puzzled by the fact that some reviewers rate the game highly and others not so. I LOVE this game. It has all the elements of a fantasy RPG that we want: dragons, wizards, goblins, trolls, bandits.... even a wizard with a pointy hat (ha, ha! - that's meant to be FUNNY, not a "tired cliche") Which brings me on to the humour in this game. It's hilarious. It's the only game in which I have read every book I find. That was one of the things I loved about Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. It's the reason why I was slightly disappointed with Dragon Age Origins. Alistair's awkward self-depricating humour is a bit embaressing compared to the unrestrained silliness and fun of, say, Mincs in the BG games. Who can forget the Gnolls in Baldur's Gate with their growled threats: "Die, scum, wooof!" and the Flaming Fist guards telling you to "Keep moving, scum". An RPG which doesn't take itself seriously - what a treat! Developers remember this: If you make us laugh we will love you and give you all of our money.
Maybe I am just lucky, but after a few crashes with the game, I have had no technical issues at all. Since I installed the latest patch, my game has been as smooth as silk and if I do find that my character goes jerky (usually after I come out of the pub, heh, heh!), I just save, exit and reload. Problem solved!
The scenery is spectacular, I would rate it better than Oblivion, which, after a while got a bit same-y. Morrowind was probably the best game for variety of landscape, but that is now an old game, so technically can't be compared with this game. This is one of the reasons why I am glad there is no respawn. After you have cleared an area, you get to explore in peace and quiet (chase some rabbits!) I remember getting really irritated with comstantly having to kill attacking cliff racers in Morrowind. (Morrowind is still a BRILLIANT game, though!)
I like the voice acting in this game. On this score, it beats Dragon Age Origins, which struck me as being too self-conscious. I like the VARIETY of voices and the lines are delivered with confidence and obvious pleasure. Oscars all round, I think!
All too often, games are slated by reviewers for not being innovative (same as last time....) but in my opinion Larian has scored a double hit here by including ALL the elements that fantasy RPG players want (don't ever alienate your core fan- base!), but also giving their fans some new elements that other developers must wish they'd thought of: the ability to turn into a Dragon, the chance to build yourself a creature from discarded body parts (waste not, want not!) not to mention references to Eleanor of Aquitaine (married Henry II of England. son= Richard the Lionheart) on Sentinel Island. If anyone has spotted any other historical references, please point them out.
I think some reviewers have been sloppy in their task. They didn't pay this game enough attention and missed all the fun.

veteran
veteran
LOL IGN

W
stranger
stranger
W
This game is not very good,but everybody should try. I like this. This is not awesome like other RP games but it gives a lot of hours of fun. It definitly deserves 7.

stranger
stranger
i don't get ign in this. I've only played the demo.......sadly waiting for my income to get the game>.< slow gov. but between he website, videos and the demo i love the score from this game. in my opinion the music should be better then any game play, story, characters, or other crap for one reason. with out captivating music there is nothing to pull you fully into the world. music has always and will always set the tone from random mobs fight to boss fights to city wandering to cut scenes. and so forth. I've play DA:O it was OK the music not bad but repetitive. and not as awe inspiring. halo1,2,kinda3 are great examples of this. the music in the very beginning b4 the fight ever starts already has your blood pumping. your on edge. movie are the same with out that phenomenal score the movie wont be as good no matter how good the acting. cgi etc. and in this game its excels the composer should be proud just by visiting the website I'm engaged by it it makes wanna go play it tho i know i cant yet or go play the demo. rpg005 rpg008

"For the path of the warrior is a choice. The path of a hero is a is a destiny."

Tho I walk through the valley of death i will fear no evil for i carry a big sword.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard