Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I have looking at some scores at Gamespot for Arpg/rpg games and if it comes from outside america the score are usually low with just a few exceptions. In the 70 percentile or lower most of the time while stuff from north america like dragon age, dungeon siege and most neverwinter nights game got high score and praise.

So what does that tell you?

They must think that Europeans cannot make any good games?

Last edited by budspencer; 18/01/10 10:45 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Most, but not all reviewers wouldn't know a good RPG if it smacked them in the face. I've read many of them and I doubt most have even put in 10 hours in the game, let alone finished it.

Good thing that we have user reviews and comments on most of these sites that can steer true RPG fans in the right direction, for those that are listening anyway.

Still play Sacred 2 there, Bud? smile

Last edited by Jorlen; 18/01/10 02:23 PM.
old hand
old hand
Both Arcanum & ToEE were horribly broken when they came out, but received good scores from Gamespot, IGN, et al.

I think it's because back in the day, Gamespot had a different mindset at reviewing games... now it's all about the big bucks.

Last edited by virumor; 18/01/10 02:28 PM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
Exactly true - for a while the sites tried to dissuade opinions that the reviews were 'bought' in exchange for ad $ and early access, then they just fired anyone with journalistic integrity and now don't even bother.

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
...and that's why when I need a good review I got too good ol' YouTube and watch several gameplay vids.
There are no words that can describe what you see with your own eyes.
Reviews are almost allways subjective (you can't blame an reviewer for liking one genre over another), and chances are the game will get higher points if it was hyped well months before it even came out.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Some of the reviews have been overly harsh for Div2 (IGN anyone) but really I am glad that Larian is catching some flak in the press for releasing to the Xbox 360 such a bug ridden piece of software. Many bugs can force you to have to restart the game.

Inexcusable.

Did I have fun with Div2? Yes I love these kinds of RPG's (I'm playing Two Worlds right now lol). Do I feel a little ripped off buying a game that wasn't properly tested? Yes I do.

stranger
stranger
I'm an American and I quite enjoy European rpgs, but I do find them to have a rather step learning curve. Most of them have points where a minmaxer can pass but casual gamers can't.

Dragon Age is the only recent rpg I'd feel safe recommending to a non gamer friend, it does a very good job of figuring out where people are going to have problems and helping them out.

Spell force is one of the more accessible euro rpgs of recent years, though not one of my personal favorites.

Anyone remember Evil Islands?

S
stranger
stranger
S
Oh Gods! I remember Evil Islands! A friend recommended it to me after I showed him Soulbringer.

I remember it was fun, but almost impossible. Your allies would die at the drop of a hat because they were so inferior to you it wasn't funny.

That and the ungodly amounts of stat points (in the thousands) that you could acquire, with no logical scale to figure out how good you were til someone wiped the floor with you.

It was fun to figure out the story, but it was hard getting to the end.

addict
addict
I like everything that is RPG,though I prefer party based rpg.
Right now I play DA:O and Risen.Risen is very good game but story is little pathethic.But I still enjoy on exploration

ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
old hand
old hand
You can't fault Risen for having not a good story since that's not the focus of the game. The focus is exploration.

Might as well bash DAO for having pathetic exploration.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by virumor
You can't fault Risen for having not a good story since that's not the focus of the game. The focus is exploration.

Might as well bash DAO for having pathetic exploration.

You are right

journeyman
journeyman
This is only regarding Xbox 360:

I think the reason EU RPGs gets bashed, is because they all need final touches and lack a little bit of graphics quality, and generally they don't bring anything new to the table. Furthemore the humor, banters, phraces etc. all have a distinct 'german' feel to them, which sounds and feels odd when translated to english. Finally the EU RPGs ports to console are poorly made, and during the pre-launch face EU RPG developers tend to show trailers and images from the PC versions, which are lightyears ahead of the console versions. When the reviewers of the console versions gets their copy, they are immediately put off, because they don't look anything like what they have been seing in the trailers.

Take a look at the line-up:

EU RPGs on the Xbox 360:
Two Worlds, Sacred 2: Fallen Angel, Risen, Divinity II: Ego Draconis and Fable II, where Fable II definetely has been made the american way.

American RPGs on the Xbox 360:
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Too Human, Fallout 3, Rise of the Argonauts and Dragon Age: Origins.

In my book it is not strange that EU RPGs gets low scores, when they are compared to the american titles. Oblivion, Fallout and Mass Effect are very tough to compete against.

Mass Effect 2 in 6 days. YAY! laugh

"Look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone. Panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect immortal machine?"
addict
addict
I really enjoyed RotA. grin

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
S
S
5 days ME2

U
apprentice
apprentice
U
DAO is so boring that it is not even worth mentioning. Almost no existing script, boring quests, few interesting items and sets, and even DLC don't make situation better. At least there are mods.
Ohh and sucky camera, in overshoulder game is not what I expected, but when camera is over the top you can see nothing.

Lolblivion and it's world lvling with player? Where you can finish game when on lvl1? Come on, that's a huge fail. Again, mods saves a day.

Risen? Boring story but as was stated, quite nice exploration and not so bad combat evolving system, thou D2EG got better solution.

ME2? Didn't play yet, gonna buy and see. ME1 was smooth and bugless for me, not like D2EG which is barely playable in terms of speed, stuttering and such.

old hand
old hand
Worst thing about DA:O is the endless, filler combat. It's boring because it's always against the same type of enemies using the same tactics. Baldur's Gate also had endless combat (among many other things) but it never became boring since there were so many different enemies.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Uzeer
DAO is so boring that it is not even worth mentioning. Almost no existing script, boring quests, few interesting items and sets, and even DLC don't make situation better. At least there are mods.
Ohh and sucky camera, in overshoulder game is not what I expected, but when camera is over the top you can see nothing.

Lolblivion and it's world lvling with player? Where you can finish game when on lvl1? Come on, that's a huge fail. Again, mods saves a day.

Risen? Boring story but as was stated, quite nice exploration and not so bad combat evolving system, thou D2EG got better solution.

ME2? Didn't play yet, gonna buy and see. ME1 was smooth and bugless for me, not like D2EG which is barely playable in terms of speed, stuttering and such.

Me and 99% like DA:O so I am not gonna bother with 1%
You fail

Oblivion had interesting side quests,nice story(not for 5 but it was nice),great music and interesting locations,cities and exploration

Risen is eak and poor.Only three locations and small map.Gothic 3 was 10 times better with huge map,cities fighting system...

Didn"t play ME so I can"t say anything

U
apprentice
apprentice
U
You fail

I see, going this way milions of flyies eat shit, I shall too?
Wake up kiddo. Ppl got their own mind.
DAO is nowhere close to Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate II. I've finished PT 3 times, thou I read there are 4 ending so I am going to finish it again with restoration pack. Why becouse this was an interesting game.
In DAO 50% of time u're retriving Urn with Ashes, rest trying to reach land meeting. All game is predictible and simply boring. I don't say it is bad game, I say it is VERY medicore. Nothing special.
What is helping game is team, where team members actually got something to say, and that was intersting and funny.

I wrote why I didn't like DAO, write why you liked it. Becouse saying fail w/o any argument makes me laugh. When ppl discuss, ppl use argument.

Oblivion had interesting side quests,nice story(not for 5 but it was nice),great music and interesting locations,cities and exploration

True. But game mechanic was broken. When I bought glass armor every single wood bandit got the same in a very same moment. You got lvl ? Mobs around too. FUBAR.

Gothic 3 was 10 times better with huge map,cities fighting system...

I remember mighty boars with lock ups when you couldn't break their attacks.
Yes map was huge, GFX was ok, story was not that bad, but was full of buggs.- world AI was to hard to script from what I saw.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Uzeer
You fail

I see, going this way milions of flyies eat shit, I shall too?
Wake up kiddo. Ppl got their own mind.
DAO is nowhere close to Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate II. I've finished PT 3 times, thou I read there are 4 ending so I am going to finish it again with restoration pack. Why becouse this was an interesting game.
In DAO 50% of time u're retriving Urn with Ashes, rest trying to reach land meeting. All game is predictible and simply boring. I don't say it is bad game, I say it is VERY medicore. Nothing special.
What is helping game is team, where team members actually got something to say, and that was intersting and funny.

I wrote why I didn't like DAO, write why you liked it. Becouse saying fail w/o any argument makes me laugh. When ppl discuss, ppl use argument.

True. But game mechanic was broken. When I bought glass armor every single wood bandit got the same in a very same moment. You got lvl ? Mobs around too. FUBAR.

Gothic 3 was 10 times better with huge map,cities fighting system...

I remember mighty boars with lock ups when you couldn't break their attacks.
Yes map was huge, GFX was ok, story was not that bad, but was full of buggs.- world AI was to hard to script from what I saw.

I fail to see how you can say DAO was boring. Doing the mage quest where you go into your mind after the demon puts you all to sleep?

That was one of the most imaginative things I've seen in a game and also, it was VERY reminiscent of the style of play that planescape torment has. Yes, planescape is my favorite rpg, but DA:O had some interesting themes.

The town with the demon child, who made his uncle dance for him? That whole plot was very interesting AND there were multiple ways to solve it. And that is just one area.

The nature chick with the werewolves? Come on it was damn cool.

U
apprentice
apprentice
U
Yeah, tower of mages and werevolves were a nice touch. But despite of that... nothing touched me. Maybe this little thing when you had to do ancient elven ritual with water. Boring weapons, boring sets, boring music, and typical RPGs quests. And I didn't like this dreaming abyss, it didn't get me.
And your char not saying anything... damn it... with RPG that was meant for EPIC and GOTY... come on...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard