Print Thread
#406216 14/02/10 07:32 PM
K
Kojinus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Am I supposed to be this incredibly weak in the beginning? I'm about level 10, and I know that's really low. I SHOULD be weak, naturally. But it's a bit insane when I can hardly take on 3 Skeletons at a time without risking certain death. x.x It's becoming a pain to have to save after every 3 encounters because I fear my death is always right around the corner. Also, is there a place where I can buy health potions in bulk? Regular food just isn't cutting it anymore. Is there a hotkey for saving?

Kojinus #406225 14/02/10 08:46 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Its a fine line between skills, level and tactics..... basically just dont try to rush through...kill all the mobs in the area, then turn in quests, do all quests because as you may have noticed already player level in relation to mob level is critical in most cases. Read the forums when you need a break from playing. If you dont like scrolling through all the pages just use the searh feature and lengthen the searh over a week which is its default... Beside saving ALOT is very handy in some cases!!!!!! welcome

PS lots of times its best to pick off a mob then run off his friends and come back to smack another one around. rpg008

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Kojinus #406229 14/02/10 08:52 PM
Support
Support

What type of character are you playing? Character Optimization

Have you tried clearing other areas, where there may be weaker opponents, in small groups, etc?

What level are the skeletons? I think they are level 8 or 9 around Lovis' tower...

Do you have your creature yet? The crystal skull is in a mine west of the lake, south of the fortune teller. Have you tried the summon demon spell? (save first so you can reload if you don't find that it helps with your playstyle)

There are several merchants that sell potions, and you can create your own at the alchemist in town when you have the right ingredients. Merchants should restock when you level, but there is no bulk supplier.

The next couple of higher quality chests or quest item rewards you might want to save before opening (or getting near / running the crosshairs over) or turning in, so you can reload until you get something better than what you have. Try doing this with some merchants, as well, if you have not visited them in awhile. A couple equipment upgrades may enough to make a significant difference, though reloading too much is a waste of time.

The PC version does have a hotkey for quicksave/load (don't know if you have to go into the options to set it or if it is set already). A couple people have reported problems quickloading though (when quicksaving indoors sometimes doorways can get sealed). Also, there are some places in the game that get locked after you enter; if you go there too soon and get into trouble, you wouldn't want your only recent save to be inside.

Welcome to the forum. wave

Raze #406231 14/02/10 09:01 PM
K
Kojinus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
I've found the Necromancer guy who talks of being a "good" necromancer and what not, how he creates creatures, not killing machines but they all run away. I haven't managed to find his creatures, so he won't let me make any of my own. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks. wave

Kojinus #406243 14/02/10 10:38 PM
Support
Support

You need to find a crystal skull to be able to summon a necromancer's creature. Level 10 might be a little early to get there, though (don't recall the level of the undead that have it). If you follow the river west and a little south of the lake, it is to the south. North of that river branch is the fortune teller and a bunch of Black Ring members that I took out at level 12, but had difficulty with if there were more than 2 or 3 at a time. If you avoid that section of land you should be able to reach the mine going through lower level goblins, or possibly by swimming. The undead in the mine were much easier than the black ring members, but I think taking out the last black ring members may have been enough to bring me up another level.

While it would help to get the creature, try exploring in different directions to find easier opponents. Clear out the derelict tunnel if you have not done so already, etc (the bandit there has a fairly nice ring; I delayed turning in the quest quite awhile so I could wear it until I found a replacement).

Raze #406248 14/02/10 10:57 PM
K
Kojinus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Well I was able to pull off getting my creature a few minutes ago. It kind of helps, I don't really have enough good parts to make it worth having at the moment. I'm working on running through Broken Valley just clearing out everything. So far it's working out fairly well.

Kojinus #406250 14/02/10 11:03 PM
Support
Support

When you first get the creature it is more for a distraction than actual help with combat. If you stand mostly behind it using a bow (or magic, I assume) it can block arrows and magic from reaching you, depending on how many opponents are around, and how much they are spread out.

Raze #406257 14/02/10 11:25 PM
K
Kojinus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
How do I get it to go in first? It just kind of follows me and then once everything's attention is on me, it starts fighting. I can't really figure out how to control my creature.

Kojinus #406259 14/02/10 11:39 PM
Support
Support

There is no way to directly control the creature.

Sometimes if I walk ahead slowly it will move ahead of me, though it seems to do that more in close quarters (on stairs or in tunnels). At least once I was waiting for my health and mana to regenerate a little bit before continuing, and he decided to wander down a half flight of stairs and start casting fireballs at some opponents that were previously unaware of my presence.
In open terrain I've generally found it easier to just move forward until you get the attention of some opponents, and then run/jump backwards a little past your creature. You can not retreat too far back, though, or he will start following you.

He seems more aggressive with a ranger head (and a better shield, as he doesn't move around as much during combat). I had him with a Rush Attack / Fatality level 6 head in the fjords (level 20 fighting level 21 imps), but did much better when I switched to a Fireball 2 ranger head. I've just found a Magic Missile / Magic Blast 5 head, but have not had an opportunity to try it yet.

Raze #406263 15/02/10 01:23 AM
stranger
stranger
Definitely a ranger or magic casting monster is better to use as a meat shield. Once you're engaged the monster will be too then you just run behind him and fire away.

My mind works like lightning! One brilliant flash, then it's gone. >.>
Jingizu #406550 17/02/10 05:24 PM
journeyman
journeyman
can we make another creature?

theKingsWill #406552 17/02/10 05:29 PM
stranger
stranger
You can substitute the parts, but can only have one creature. You can summon a demon, undead, or a ghost to reboost your HP.

blazyn #406557 17/02/10 05:48 PM
journeyman
journeyman
ow okay, and if we make a creature, is it permanent?

theKingsWill #406567 17/02/10 08:05 PM
D
D
Yep he's permanent throughout the game, if he gets killed you can re-summon him after a cooldown period.
Put him in a hot slot so you can summon him out easily.
I'd suggest getting a demon with skill point/s when you can as well, he helps even more then your necro-creature that just likes to P on everything instead of going out front and attacking.

Undead and ghost are pretty much useless as they get killed real fast even at high levels, so I'd suggest don't waste skill points on them.

Windows 7 pro 64 bit
EVGA X58 motherboard
6GB of OCZ DDR3 memory
watercoooled i7 920 @ 3.8GHz (4+4 cores)
EVGA (Nvidia) GTX 275 graphics
Creative X-fi elite pro sound card.
Diff_1 #406568 17/02/10 08:41 PM
Support
Support

You can visit a necromancer and change your creature whenever you find better parts or wish to switch its class, etc.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard