Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I bought Divinity 2: Ego Draconis yesterday only to discovered anti-aliasing in broken in the game. There's a general "Screenspace Anti-Aliasing" toggle button, but it does nothing. I Googled the problem and apparently the lack of anti-aliasing applies to both ATI and Nvidia cards. Its even mentioned in professional reviews. I downloaded nHancer and tried every combination of HDR/AA compatibility, but nothing worked. It just can't be forced. I anyone has a workaround I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm so disappointed, you'd think in this day and age of gaming that something as basic as AA would be fully implemented and functional. At 1680x1050 there are enough shimmering jaggies all over the screen it spoils the experience for me. As a loyal fan of the original DD I waited patiently for years for an up-to-date sequel, but until Larian fixes it I won't be playing this game (as would be the case for any current game with no AA support).

I
stranger
stranger
I
This is due the high dynamic light setting. Its either that effect or AA.
There is a workaround but you have to dig for that your self. Something to do with unreal3.exe .....

W
stranger
stranger
W
Yous hould try and change the game's executable to Oblivion.exe
They both use the Gamebryo engine and Oblivion has working AA so by renaming the .exe of the game you are fooling the drivers into believing you're runing oblivion and thus fixing the AA issue.

Wolfskin07

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Thanks for the tips guys. I tried renaming the .exe to Oblivion.exe and forced AA for it through nHancer using Gamebryo AA compatibility. No luck. I tried using Unreal 3 AA compatibility with no success as well. Nothing works from the in game toggle to any number of forced AA options.

veteran
veteran
There is no way to force AA in the game. No hacks can help. Tried almost everything ;<

I'd like to add my displeasure on this issue as well. HDR (High Dynamic Range) lighting ceased to be an issue with AA back with the Geforce 6/7/8 series (see Does NVIDIA support HDR and Anti Aliasing...) so this shouldn't apply with most recent GPUs (I'm running dual 8800GTXs and SLI, using AFR2, seems to work a charm).

Having a graphics setting that does nothing seems a significant oversight (unfixed with patch 1.03) so I hope Larian attend to this soon.

veteran
veteran
There is no relation between HDR and AA. For example, Risen uses AA and deffered shading technology as well, but there is a way to force AA even if it is not supported officially. nHancer provides some hacks especially for this case, but they don't work for D2 at all. Perhaps the latter copmpletely doesn't support MSAA on floating textures. Well, HDR and MSAA don't mix: its because the resolve is linear. SSAA can do the trick.

K
stranger
stranger
K
So are you saying there is a way to do SSAA in D2? I tried it with nHancer but still didn't seem to work.

I didn't try every compatibility mode though.

I would also really like to get both HDR and AA working together!

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard