Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
qiote Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I look at my skill tree and see options for building the undead and ghost...and the Mastery one..there is nothing about a "creature".. I thought maybe it was for the Ranger to summon a "pet". But, there's no "creature" reference anywhere in the list for any character..

Creature isn't just another word for, undead/ghost is it? I searched, and there is reference to "creature" but no info on how to get it, or where/what it is..

Please help...I could use one. Ready to open the final gate at the tower of the 1st village..thanks

Support
Support

The creature can be created by a necromancer (using various body parts you may have started finding), and does not need, or have, any associated skills. You will meet a necromancer fairly early in the game, who can make creature, but lacks the means to control them. It will be awhile before you can find that means (easy at level 13, not sure but probably possible around level 10 or 11). Basically you will need access to the full Broken Valley (which you have if you are referring to Lovis' tower), and then explore west of the lake and a bit south.

enthusiast
enthusiast
For your CREATURE, the mine can be accessed at lvl 9 or 10 if the proper route is taken to get there, inside the mobs are lvl 10. I save before opening the chest which takes the key from killing the mob with the skull, so that i can reload untill i get the mage head for my creature. Twice its been 2magicmissile,2Magic blast and once i got a 3magic missile, 3 magicblast.

div2 aargh

Last edited by Dragonbane; 01/03/10 12:47 PM.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Support
Support

I just automatically went with a warrior head, especially when finding higher level Rush Attack / Fatality heads than Fireball or Magic Missile / Magic Blast (not that it used Rush Attack much). I ran into trouble trying to kill a couple level 21 imps at level 17 (needed 4k experience to level before heading to sentinel island, so I could get a full level's worth from mindreading in the first encounter). I switched to a ranger head, and the creature was much more helpful than as a warrior. When I found a mage head, I switched again (which seemed a little better).

Do you have to go back to the necromancer to change parts? A related question, can you access anything at all for the creature in game...like ability to feed it potions, check or change said body parts, etc?

Is reality just a fantasy?
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes speak to Necromancer with the body parts in your inventory and tell him you want to work on your creature then click the tab beside each part untill you have the ones you want.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
When you get the battle tower you have a necromancer where you can change your creature. I'm pretty sure you can't give your creature potions and I think the only way to check the body parts is at your necromancer. Btw there is a man by the necromancer that sells body parts.

Originally Posted by Dragonbane
Yes speak to Necromancer with the body parts in your inventory and tell him you want to work on your creature then click the tab beside each part untill you have the ones you want.

Yeah, I figured that...I mean out and away from necromancer, is there anyway to interact with the creature other than pat his head or kick it's ass? Like, is there no way to have it drink a potion, for example?

Last edited by SheaOhmsford; 01/03/10 09:30 PM.

Support
Support

Once you have the battle tower it becomes pretty easy to jump back to your necromancer to switch parts.

You can not control the creature, or give it potions, etc. If it is getting low on health and you are expecting a challenge ahead, un-summon it, wait for the cooldown time, and re-summon it. With Mana Efficiency at level 5, summoning it only take a quarter of you mana, rather than half.

Originally Posted by Jdog619
When you get the battle tower you have a necromancer where you can change your creature. I'm pretty sure you can't give your creature potions and I think the only way to check the body parts is at your necromancer. Btw there is a man by the necromancer that sells body parts.

Ok, scratch my last post...this is more of the answer I was looking for. This is what I have found as well, just confirming. Thanks

Originally Posted by Raze

Once you have the battle tower it becomes pretty easy to jump back to your necromancer to switch parts.

You can not control the creature, or give it potions, etc. If it is getting low on health and you are expecting a challenge ahead, un-summon it, wait for the cooldown time, and re-summon it. With Mana Efficiency at level 5, summoning it only take a quarter of you mana, rather than half.

And even more definitive. Thanks for the tip...I have actually done that a time or two already, since I couldn't figure out how to heal it smile

qiote Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Will I get the Tower after I get the "soul" back for the ghost who's been stuck there for 1000 years? I found him, the stone and the Ghost Merchant in the Tower, I have yet to get the soul back. Can I assume that he gives me the tower after I get his soul back to him?

If I read these right, the necromancer is outside the Tower now, inside later?

Only problem is, I've sold all body parts..Must I have them, found or bought, to build my creature. Or is it possible to build one from other "stuff"? Thanks

Support
Support

You do not get Lovis' tower, but another one. It is available after you finish Maxos temple. Bringing Lovis his soul stone is not required for that (there is also an alternate solution, as you'll find inside Maxos temple, though not necessarily a better one).
destroy the stone and you earn the gratitude of those that asked; return it and Lovis unlocks a chest with a random legendary quality piece of equipment

After Maxos temple you will be able to freely travel around for awhile, but at a certain point (which you will be warned about in-game), you will no longer be able to complete most quests in Broken Valley, and will need to clean up anything you have left to do first.

There is a necromancer in Broken Valley, but you'll have easy access to a different one in the tower.

You can create a creature with just the basic body parts provided by the necromancer, but it will not be very strong. Once you have the battle tower there is a merchant there that can sell body parts (save before running the crosshairs over him, and you can reload to get an upgrade or two each time you level). Actually, the stuff you sold was probably lowish quality; if you keep an eye out for better quality stuff, you should find a few decent parts before getting the battle tower. When you talk to the necromancer any non-duplicate parts from your inventory get added to his list, and are available to use. I kept a written list handy with my best parts for each category, and sold lesser parts before talking to the necromancer to work on the creature (no sense cluttering up the parts list with stuff I'm not going to use).

enthusiast
enthusiast
I was in the New Miners Dig yesterday at lvl 11 to get the crystal for controlling the creatures(Vigor Mortis)quest... I saved after killing all the creatures at the junction.....opened the chest(with Key) 15 times and got a Mage Head with level 4 Magic Missile and level 4 Magic blast!!!!!!!!!
I pretty much didnt even have to fight after i got THAT creature out LOL. Im serious, he was just MOWING down lvl 11 and 12 mobs...... rpg007

qiote Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Good tip about the Mage Head..

Raze..is there any reason I would prefer gratitude...? I found the Fortune Teller and Dreaven and a bunch of very hostile Goblins...where the heck is the Necromancer...I found your post about his location...NW of Village/shrine etc..but damn, I can't find his cave....duh...

Update..read more posts on location of outside Necromancer...also the walkthrough at GameSpot..I've followed the rivers, gone south/west of the Fortune Teller. Climbed mts... I've got the Crystal Skull, been to the Bandits Hideout, Merchant in the Woods, and killed everything but the wildlife including the guys around Maxos's place...Talked to Zig Zag, took care of the "chicken" guy..got a great Dragon Goblin Head with 4 Fireball.....But..

I cannot find the Necromancer...a cave, his camp or any sign of him. No one else seems to have this issue...they read the posts and happily go off and find him...What am I missing??$*(#^(%($)

Last edited by qiote; 03/03/10 02:10 PM.
Support
Support

It could be argued that the 'good' solution to the quest earns you the gratitude, while the 'evil' solution gives the loot.

In the starting area, head out of the village and follow along the mountains going north west. You will pass where Mouse was, then head upwards and past the 'Lost Cavern' cave, accessed by a hatch near a teleporter shrine and another teleporter platform that you need a password to use. Keep going north west, past a couple goblin tents, and there is a large door to get into the cave with the necromancer. This is north of the ruined chappel (with the entrance to the secret passage to break the bandit out of jail, if you took that quest).

apprentice
apprentice

Location Spoiler

Here:

Broken Valley Map

At the top (North) of the map, there is a place called Chapel Shrine, right? The Necromancer, Naberius, is there. Look for a door with a skull.

qiote Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Geeeezzzzz...based on some of the posts, I was using the Fortune Teller as the starting place, going south and a little west of the lake.....No wonder I couldn't find him....Helps if you're on the correct side of the map. The filled in map is great...

Thanks you all...it was driving me nuts...

Hey Raze...while I appreciate, gratitude, I think I like loot more..especially if I can reload and get a killer item.....thanks again, all of you for sticking with this till I finally got the message.....I'm off to find the Necromancer...maybe

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard