Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#408238 06/03/10 04:09 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Let's see you might get 1 point or best case 27 points. BTW the 27 HP enchantment costs a malachite gem... That 27 hp will vanish if a goblin just looks at you phunny. I have had weapons and armor provide 60+ HP that were not Life Line.

Either Life Line is the most useless enchantment or I'm missing something. So which/what is it?

Lord John Whorfin: History is-a made at night! Character is what you are in the dark!
Support
Support

That is an extra 24 HP per piece of armour, which can add up. I found it quite helpful in the beginning (more so after you reach the enchanter) to middle of the game.

Raze #408281 07/03/10 04:27 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Although I find armor and weapons with no Life Line yet having hit point bonuses. So if I understand you, Life Line is the only hit point enchantment. Point 2, enchanting 4 pieces of armor with the max Life Line would yield, 108 HP and cost 4 Malachite gems, the rarest gems in the game.

I wouldn't want to trust my "life Line" against a critical hit. I have been hit with over 200 damage even in the early game. Yes I died, reloaded, and no the current Life Line of 9 HP did not protect me.

Conclusion: Life Line is lame; it is so not worth it on numerous levels!!! I'll take my chances finding random HP bonus equipment that offer 60+ HP and increase my Vitality.

Lord John Whorfin: History is-a made at night! Character is what you are in the dark!
journeyman
journeyman
If you dont like it, dont use it. use an armor enchantment or something.

Support
Support

It doesn't matter what bonuses are on a piece of equipment; if it is good enough to use and has an enchantment slot, there is a selection of what you can add to it. If you need melee, ranged or magical protection, then add that enchantment. If not, then the Magic Damage or Retribution auras are not that wonderful, either.

As for the rarity of malachite gems, that is the exact same situation for every single level 10 enchantment in the game, so it is irrelevant to whether Life Line is useful, or not. The only level 10 enchantments I used were for healing auras, which always require a malachite gem anyway.

stranger
stranger
Life line is not that awful, only that +10 armor is so much better.
Useless enchants are the ones that have a chance to do magic/fire/poison damage. 13% for 48 damage is like an average of 6 damage each time you are hit. Wow. And i think only the chance increases if you enchant more than one item.

Last edited by Stokkolm; 07/03/10 11:22 AM.
Support
Support

A static charge aura helped me take out a few wyvern when I first got to sentinel island. The ones that came close I could take out with a bow; a few of them stayed out of range, but attacked enough to trigger retaliation that eventually killed them.

A couple times such enchantments have helped me spot opponents in cluttered environments, as you can see the direction the response is headed. Other than that, I wouldn't pick a piece of equipment for an enchantment (other than to get the formula), but even a small benefit is better than none.

Raze #408396 08/03/10 07:21 AM
veteran
veteran
I find that each kind of enchantment can be useful in particular way. smile

For example:
if my Vitality (HP) is high (enough), I don't spend enchantments in Life Line or Life Leech ... in that case it is for me 'useless' (or: no need for it).

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Really all I wanted to know was what if anything did Life Line do that separated it from any other item that had a non-Life Line HP enchantment. Apparently the only unique thing about Life Line is this is the players only means to add an HP enchantment. Given that, it is incredibly weak compared to what is available in random drops.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard