Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Feb 2010
Jdog619 Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Feb 2010
I thought overall this was an AMAZING game.I just couldn't put the controller down and I would like to share many of the things that made this game addicting/frustrating to me.(This is gonna be really long.)

Starting from the beginning, Farglow was an excellent idea. The ability to train in the arena and choose your class was a great idea. The initial Broken Valley pace was slow but comfortable. On the other hand, just after I finished talking to Talana and whatnot I felt like a confused little kid getting lost in the mall. I had no clue where to go and lovis' tower seemed big,scary,and confusing after early Broken Valley. I felt like a 14 year old whose parents had just given him $10 and kicked him out of the house to fend for himself. I felt the same at the beginning of sentinel island, my first Flying Fortress, and the orobas fjords. Introducing the the player to the terrain would be a good idea.

Flying Fortresses: I found the flying fortresses to be really cool but confusing. After you clear everything out in Dragon form its hard to remember which islands you have already cleared in human form. I also felt that clearing the Flying Fortresses was irrelevent to the game seeing as clearing them did't really help with anything. Adding more relevance to them would help. Also, the armor sets for each class found in the flying fortresses was a brilliant idea and the bosses were pretty darn fun to kill.

Ending: I found the actual storyline of the ending to not be too bad but whole "sitting in a wierd glass crystal thing" kinda threw me off. It wasn't the story that threw many people off as the setting of the end. Also, being able to do something after the game is over, like an "after the credits teaser to the next sequal" thing would really please the gamers.

Just a few other small things: I found the human form to be rather easy near the end of the game. At the first dragon shape-shift at the battle tower I found it to be extremely hard, especially since I was just learning the ropes of being a dragon. The memory eaters at the Hall of Echoes were impossible to kill and I just had to run(fly) away from them after I took down the shield. After all I had to do to get there, the Hall of Echoes was very short.

Other small things:Even after I killed something in dragon form It would still lock me onto it. I found the upstairs throne room in the Battle Tower to be rather useless and just putting the runners in the the downstairs and eliminating the upstairs would fix this. I am glad to hear that you are adding non-combat oriented quests in the expansion because pretty much everything is "go kill someone".Having the game fully tested of glitches would be a nice idea before release. There are probably many that didn't buy this game because of the many early Youtube reviews about the numerous glitches.


Just a few other things: The music in this game is EPIC and I think it would be a kool idea to have a soundtrack list and be able to choose what you wanna listen to at will. Not necessary by any means, but having mounts(like horses)would be kinda kool. Also,the graphics were pretty darn good too.

This is definitely the best RPG I have ever played(and I'm an RPG addict). I'm really anticipating a sequal. I hope this review helps in some way.(I really think adding a soundtrack would be a good idea!)

EDIT:Forgot to mention, it would be a kool idea to have passive enemies that don't attack unless you attack them. (and adding a soundtrack would be a kool idea)

Another Edit:And I found there to be very few character customization options for a male character. Also adding multiple ways to go through the story(good/evil) would be kinda kool too. (and adding a soundtrack would be a kool idea)




Last edited by Jdog619; 13/03/10 12:42 AM.
Joined: Apr 2005
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2005
A nice review smile.

Originally Posted by Jdog619

Flying Fortresses: I found the flying fortresses to be really cool but confusing. After you clear everything out in Dragon form its hard to remember which islands you have already cleared in human form. I also felt that clearing the Flying Fortresses was irrelevent to the game seeing as clearing them did't really help with anything. Adding more relevance to them would help. Also, the armor sets for each class found in the flying fortresses was a brilliant idea and the bosses were pretty darn fun to kill.


For me a little confusing, but I place markers to help me out where I already set a step on land in humanform.

I can't full agree the Flying Fortresses(FF) where no irrelevant to the game and didn't help with anything because of the quests for your trainer, etc .. for the upgrades of your Battle Tower ...

BUT: I found it not so cool anymore after clearing out 2 FF.(except killing the bosses Kearra, Stone, etc ... biggrin )
It will be cooler & more fun if not all the FF are possible to solve so late in the game because of the Armor Sets and all the other loot ... so maybe a FF with enemies of a level 20 - 24? Or more Quests to solve in the FF? And some other FF with more stronger enemies, like level 30 - 33?
It wil be nice I can do a FF just after I become a Dragon and finding a Armor Set on this way earlyer in the game.

I found the Dragonbattle in the Hall of Echoes totally no challenge (I was level 35 - easy difficulty, maybe that's the reason?).

Last edited by Joram; 12/03/10 12:14 PM.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joined: Feb 2010
Jdog619 Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Feb 2010
Puting markers down didn't work for me with raze's fortress because the islands are on top of each other. I just now realized I had left it on hard through all of the Hall of Echoes so mayb thats wy the memory eaters were so hard to kill lol grin . Or mayb i'm just not that good in dragon form. Anyway I kept dying very quickly after I took down the shield. Prolly took me about 12 tries to realize I could just make a break for it. smile

Joined: Oct 2009
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2009
Agreed
Good game

I had fun playing it so I can perfectly say 6/10 or -4/5
Good job Larian
I waiting for expansion


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Va, USA
member
Offline
member
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Va, USA
Originally Posted by Raven.rpg
Agreed
Good game

I had fun playing it so I can perfectly say 6/10 or -4/5
Good job Larian
I waiting for expansion


Posted on 3/2:

Originally Posted by Raven.rpg
Hmm I think that this game is piece if crap
Don"t get me wrong but I have played many better games

but I like forum grin
and Risen is also shity game that I don"t like



So which is it dude? Plus your math is all whacked...6/10 would equal 3/5 by any math course I ever went to.


Is reality just a fantasy?
Joined: Oct 2009
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2009
Yea I have 2/5 from math in school
and I think that game is piece of crap
but I didn"t excpect anything better from Larian
so I think its overall good game
and I am not planing to play this game anymore(maybe for few months) but I have some unfinished bussines with fellow called Damian


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
Joined: Apr 2005
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2005
I'm sure Larian is already a great developer of games!
Did you realized Larian is (still) a small developer with limited resources to make a game, like all developers ever started with!
Are you "joking" you say
"but I didn"t excpect anything better from Larian" ... ???

I found Larian is also "courageous" to make a game like this & with a special unexpected ending!

But be honest, I was first after finsihing the game disappointed too smirk ... but on this moment I find the game more better than I ever could imagine smile !




On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joined: Oct 2009
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Joram
I'm sure Larian is already a great developer of games!
Did you realized Larian is (still) a small developer with limited resources to make a game, like all developers ever started with!
Are you "joking" you say
"but I didn"t excpect anything better from Larian" ... ???

I found Larian is also "courageous" to make a game like this & with a special unexpected ending!

But be honest, I was first after finsihing the game disappointed too smirk ... but on this moment I find the game more better than I ever could imagine smile !





When I sad
"but I didn"t excpect anything better from Larian"
I thought that larian is not BioWare so I am not expecting Dragon age or ME
but as you sad larian don"t have resources to make masterpiece but I am sure they will one day



ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: United Kingdom
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Divinity is as good as any other RPG out there maybe better that depends on the person
ME really didnt cut it out for me one playthrough then what? i got major bored collecting ores from planets lolz nuthing else to do..oh yeah feed the fish which all died sooooo.....
Dragon Age i have not tried so it remains to be seen but the thing is Larian made a good..no a brilliant game with limited resources anybody should be able to see that it's a decent game and well worth the time and money just coz it doesn't measure up to the standard of higher developers and the graphics aren't as good on the Pc doesn't make it any less fun playing

just think people used to play text based card games like D&D actual roll the dice stuff(dungeons and dragons) and enjoy it, all i can say it's the experience rather than the outcome


P.S my D&D life is over i no longer slay skeletal warlords just the killer bunnies in D2 Ego draconis

Joined: Oct 2009
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Urath
Divinity is as good as any other RPG out there maybe better that depends on the person
ME really didnt cut it out for me one playthrough then what? i got major bored collecting ores from planets lolz nuthing else to do..oh yeah feed the fish which all died sooooo.....
Dragon Age i have not tried so it remains to be seen but the thing is Larian made a good..no a brilliant game with limited resources anybody should be able to see that it's a decent game and well worth the time and money just coz it doesn't measure up to the standard of higher developers and the graphics aren't as good on the Pc doesn't make it any less fun playing

just think people used to play text based card games like D&D actual roll the dice stuff(dungeons and dragons) and enjoy it, all i can say it's the experience rather than the outcome


P.S my D&D life is over i no longer slay skeletal warlords just the killer bunnies in D2 Ego draconis



I know what do you mean
Time of D&D is over
action rpgs rule now


Nevermind its good game





ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Lithuania
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Lithuania
Quote
Ending: I found the actual storyline of the ending to not be too bad but whole "sitting in a wierd glass crystal thing" kinda threw me off. It wasn't the story that threw many people off as the setting of the end. Also, being able to do something after the game is over, like an "after the credits teaser to the next sequal" thing would really please the gamers.


Finally finished game and found the ending.. cool :P it made a nice twist in the story tho there is something i dont get

It says she manipulated the mind, but how did she get in there for the beginning? The only logical thing would be she was in Talanas mind as well? But again how did she get into Talanas mind?
This is what puzzles me about ending smile


And as i understood we shall continue our glorious adventure in expansion wink so the ending is even better couse its like the begging of a new tale that gonna be in expansion smile

Just my 2cents


"Wisdom outweighs any wealth." Sophocles
Joined: Feb 2010
Jdog619 Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Feb 2010
If you will remember Damian visited you after you see Talana so it could have easily been him that did it.

Btw I really believe adding a sound track would be a great idea!

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forum! wave

Last edited by Jdog619; 13/03/10 12:31 AM.
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Lithuania
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Lithuania
Originally Posted by Jdog619
If you will remember Damian visited you after you see Talana so it could have easily been him that did it.

Btw I really believe adding a sound track would be a great idea!

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forum! wave


well it states that Damian didnt know what shes doing wink and it was kind of a race who finishes first smile


"Wisdom outweighs any wealth." Sophocles
Joined: Feb 2010
Jdog619 Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Feb 2010
I guess ur right. It will remain a mystery... meh

Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Lithuania
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Lithuania
Originally Posted by Jdog619
I guess ur right. It will remain a mystery... meh


Unknown ways of evil huh rpg007 well i can live with it smile
besides we all forget the fun stuff wink both in books (Folos poem lol) and NPC (my favorite Bellagar) Hope expansion wont lack of these as well groovy


"Wisdom outweighs any wealth." Sophocles
Joined: Feb 2010
Jdog619 Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Feb 2010
Heh heh ya. My favorite books: The Ballad of Jack Miller, Dana's Conquests(I think its dana), and the History of the Damned One series.

Favorite NPC's: Bellegar, the Hermit, and Hermaphraditis.(Funny how His/Her voice gets higher and deeper and the mindread is pretty funny)

Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Latvia
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Latvia
What`s that 2/5 math, Bioware fanboy loser still doing here?

Anyway, a nice review, quite optimistic and forgiving, centered to praise the game in every aspect. It is a good RPG, despite it`s flaws, and disregard of physics(by that i mean jumping from an impossible height and surviving), which is why some players found the game very fast paced. It is a no-brainer, so hopefully the expansion - FoV - will have some more player, not character, skill based quests. Because of its one way story line it reminds me of jRPG.. Though, clearly it`s not.


...........................::ALIVE::..........................

DeviRyuuD(Myojinoir) Reviews here
Joined: Oct 2009
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2009
Originally Posted by DeviRyuuD
What`s that 2/5 math, Bioware fanboy loser still doing here?

Anyway, a nice review, quite optimistic and forgiving, centered to praise the game in every aspect. It is a good RPG, despite it`s flaws, and disregard of physics(by that i mean jumping from an impossible height and surviving), which is why some players found the game very fast paced. It is a no-brainer, so hopefully the expansion - FoV - will have some more player, not character, skill based quests. Because of its one way story line it reminds me of jRPG.. Though, clearly it`s not.


I am still here
GLORY TO BIOWARE grin


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
Joined: Feb 2010
Jdog619 Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Feb 2010
Quote
Anyway, a nice review, quite optimistic and forgiving, centered to praise the game in every aspect. It is a good RPG, despite it`s flaws, and disregard of physics(by that i mean jumping from an impossible height and surviving), which is why some players found the game very fast paced. It is a no-brainer, so hopefully the expansion - FoV - will have some more player, not character, skill based quests. Because of its one way story line it reminds me of jRPG.. Though, clearly it`s not.


I am optomistic for two reasons: I genuinely enjoyed the game and I didn't just want to point out the bad. Someone will listen to you better if tell them what you like and didnt like, not just slam them on every aspect possible. As for its disregard of physics, if there was falling damage you would die almost every time you turned from a dragon to a human.

Btw I think adding a soundtrack would be a really good idea.

Joined: Jan 2010
Location: The Netherlands
member
Offline
member
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Jdog619
Heh heh ya. My favorite books: The Ballad of Jack Miller, Dana's Conquests(I think its dana), and the History of the Damned One series.

Favorite NPC's: Bellegar, the Hermit, and Hermaphraditis.(Funny how His/Her voice gets higher and deeper and the mindread is pretty funny)


I really liked the book about Robin Hood or something like that grin

About how it is good to steal from the poor and give it to the rich :P really made me laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5