Print Thread
#411919 01/05/10 05:07 PM
L
Longarm Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
First is there a another patch due since 1.03?

I have two problems

I'm using a high end PC with Win 7.
My character is at level 10.
The last 3 new "save game" and saving on top of a previously saved game spot causes the game to crash when starting the game and pressing continue game or just loading the game.
The game loads from a game saved 4 saved games previous.
Need fix.

This has been from the beginning- When trying to talk to Louis in the village, the game crashes.

The crashes are showing that this game was programmed by half assers.

Fix or refund. This has been my second (and third counting Louis)) complaint.

Support
Support

There will be another patch, but probably not soon. Since changes are still being made to the main game (fixes, balancing, etc) as Larian is working on the add-on, the test procedures may get combined. Other than confirming certain fixes would be in the next patch, though, there has been nothing official mentioned.

Are you getting an error message trying to load those 3 saves?
Check the savegame folder, and see if there is anything unusual about them (marked as read-only, or a size inconsistent with the other saves, or something). Try moving the files to another folder (and back) to check if they got locked somehow.

In Vista / Win 7 the saves are in the folder

C:\Users\ %username% \AppData\Local\Divinity 2\Savegames

or in XP
C:\Documents and Settings\ %username% \Local Settings\Application Data\Divinity 2\Savegames

You may need to set Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders (XP, Vista, Win 7).

Did you try doing a clean re-install of the game? A dialog for Louis may have gotten corrupt during install, or something.
Early in the game he doesn't have much to say, but after you do a few quests you gain his respect and he offers you another. If you haven't checked Louis after the beginning of Broken Valley, that might make a difference.

I fail to see how problems just on your computer show that Larian programmers are 'half assers'. Searching for Louis in the tech support forum or Louis and crash in all the D2:ED forums only returns this topic. Other than the copy protection eventually corrupting saves or crashing with an error code 42 when it doesn't detect the DVD, I don't recall any problems with crashes trying to load or overwrite specific save slots (I know you said in your other topic that you were not using a no-DVD crack). Even if the source of the problem lies entirely with the game, it is very rare, so hardly the result of 'half assed' programming.

L
Longarm Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
No Error Message.

I will try the folder switch.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Just to add... testing the full game all the way to the end on Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7, I have not seen this issue nor reported before anywhere.

Shut down all your "buggy" Windows 7 security programs including antivirus scanners, firewalls, etc, and you may not get a corrupted file which is most likely because of Windows 7 "buggy" background tasks.

L
Longarm Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
I "think" I've found some or all of the problem.

I unistalled the game (for the second time since buying it) and reinstalling.

This time paying attention to what I was doing.

I got an error on loading one of the components.

I cleaned the disk, reiserted, hit retry and the game installed.

Though the game would still not load the last 3 game saves, I was able
to talk to Louis without crashing. Unfortunately it was late and could not do anything else.
We old guys need our rest. LOL

A couple of questions.

I did alot of the Robbers Cave stuff. Could not having received the quest about the robbers from
Louis caused the problems with the game saves? ( taking a shot here. LOL)

Since the disk does have a problem, where do I find out how to send it back\
and get a replacement?

Thanks.

Support
Support

Not getting the quest from Louis might mean missing out on some experience, but should not cause a problem with the save files themselves.

Generally defective disks would get returned/exchanged at the place of purchase. Depending on how long ago you got the game, you could try contacting the publisher at the email address in the manual.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard