Next Thread
Print Thread
#415596 09/07/10 08:20 PM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
hopefully we will see new armour desighns and hopefully a little more than like 5 of them. I noticed there were only like 5-6 different armour designings for each body part helmet, curiass, leggings, and gloves/gauntlets in EGO DRACONIS, they just changed up the names of them, gave them different amount of armouring ratings, and enchantment slots/charm slots. also i noticed compared to the realy good scenes they show with damian and his realy shiny armour, when you play the game the armours all look rusted over.

also i wanted to mention more mage like armour, normaly you dont exspect a mage to be walking around in heavy armour but it's fine if you choose to, but some fans might exspect wizard robe kinda of what zandalor where's i have not seen any robes as far as im concerned . also witch brings me to wizard weapons such as a staff, or wands so you can dual wield with a shield or sword in the other hand.

also i would like to see cloaks/capes added for more disighn affects on your character.
[feel free to post any of your comments, and ideas/thoughts.]

Last edited by sonlockdon; 09/07/10 10:23 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
right away, your highness

old hand
old hand
Welcome to the... uh... forums.... yeh... well ....

wow...

I guess the first thought is your terrible at first impressions. Or you meant to impress us this way? Crack the whip why do ya? The beatings shall commence until moral improves! Don't like it off the plank with ya!

As for what I want... the winning lottery numbers on the power ball smile

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
As for what I want... the winning lottery numbers on the power ball smile

4 8 15 16 23 42

Support
Support

Actually, robes, cloaks and capes were not uncommon requests before the game's release, and hoping for new armour designs hardly seems unreasonable.

Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity had staves (though not a lot), while BD had wands. D2:ED was built on a completely different game engine, so I don't know if they were dropped for practical reasons, or if they just were not included when the combat system was being designed.

I assume a lot of cloth on the main character would take significantly more resources to generate realistic graphics for.

stranger
stranger
Probably true however, capes would really be cool. That and maybe make the helms look a bit better. I find I like most of the armor in the game but you seem to get a real piecemail set going on.

It is a well known fact that most of a mages damage comes from the mages mangled corpse falling upon their unsuspecting foe.
A
veteran
veteran
A
Capes are a bit difficult to implement. Piranha Bytes left them out from Gothic 3 because of that, I read somewhere.
But I even read there that they left in general women out of the game because they felt they couldn't "properly" implement capes etcs. .

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 13/07/10 11:39 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
i swear we had this exact conversation about how larian can implement capes into the game they just couldn't because of their physics engine or something like that just know Larian if you are going to implement capes i want a cape for my dragon seeing as demands are being made....just do it

addict
addict
Capes are one thing, robes are another. Robes existed in the first two games, are there no robes or traditional mage gear in Ego Draconis?

Staves in DD were for combat, and rarely if ever had magical properties. Wands in BD were a great improvement. Are these gone as well?

Support
Support

There are no robes / staves / wands in D2:ED. Robes are relatively easy to do in a 2D game; for a 3D game if they don't move like cloth (which is fairly resource intensive) reviewers would probably critique the game harsher than simply not having robes, if they noticed that at all. Any resources devoted to adding robes would also have meant something else couldn't get done.

For the lack of staves and wands (or two handed hammers, etc) I don't know if that was a deliberate decision to simplify combat a bit, or if there just wasn't enough time before release to get them in. Any different weapon type that would require a different animation would make collision detection more complicated and perhaps slow down the testing process (though I have no idea if that was actually an issue, or not). It could also make balancing more difficult, though if they were going to add mage class weapons, they could have dropped the normal weapons doing magical damage (bonuses on weapons could still add magical damage to the conventional melee/ranged damage).

K
stranger
stranger
K
So I guess the NPC priests were wearing...what...dresses? just like all the llllladies.

Support
Support

I would assume an NPC walking around in robes (with limited movement, determined in advance), is a little different than a main character (with free movement) running, climbing, fighting or jumping off a cliff in robes.

addict
addict
Dragon Age had robes for characters. They weren't loose flowing Merlin style robes and the gameplay wasn't twitch acrobatic style like ED, but they were robes nevertheless. The point isn't that I wants to see fancy flowing fabric, it's that I would like to not be stuck with warrior reject gear because all my points went into magic instead of strength.

I guess I shouldn't be that surprised that Larian skimped on the mage gear. In DD a mage ended up with the same gear as warrior, the Dragon Armor (or Larian armor) and one of three or four powerful swords, simply because of the modifiers. BD just seemed like a step in the right direction with wands, mage robes, etc. Mages are just my pet class.

Of course, I'm still waiting to pick this game up so maybe there's all kinds of magical gear to be had.

Last edited by flixerflax; 14/07/10 08:12 PM.
Why does everyone want to walk around in a damn dress?

I've never understood the whole "mages must wear robes" thing. Look, just because I can incinerate you with a thought, or turn you into a toad, doesn't mean that I'm not entitled to a pair of decent pants. Trousers, you know? The kind that you put on one leg at a time?

Now of course, there are benefits to wearing a robe, like extra airflow... but really, if you are a dude, think of the practical considerations. Are you going to hike up your skirt like a girl every time you need a jolly good whiz?

See, Zandalor, he has an excuse. He's a senior citizen whose sense of style has obviously been claimed by the advanced age and too many puffs of Drunadae. Just look at his hat, and you'll know that choosing to wear a robe is the least of his concerns. Plus, we'll probably never see him do a backflip (not that we want to; right? I mean, RIGHT?!?).

My fellow Dragon Knights, even if you do your battle with devastating magicks, and your weapons are nothing more than pretty decorations for your hands, I implore you: say NO to robes. They do not suit our, let's say, action-oriented method of dealing with this world's problems. Say YES to pants, if you are a dude, at least.

And, on the off-chance that you happen to be a dudette, say yes to body armor, knee-high boots, a thong and bare legs. Because 1) it looks hot; 2) this is a fantasy genre and 3) did I mention it looks hot?

Hell, that look could almost make me forgive you for repeatedly trying to get me killed. Almost...

"We shall not fear the coming of the shadow of death."
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Damar Stiehl
Why does everyone want to walk around in a damn dress?

I've never understood the whole "mages must wear robes" thing. Look, just because I can incinerate you with a thought, or turn you into a toad, doesn't mean that I'm not entitled to a pair of decent pants. Trousers, you know? The kind that you put on one leg at a time?

... And vice versa ... ? wink

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
stranger
stranger
I think they wanted the hero to be a battle mage more than a mage. I missed mage clothes but i think a DK fit more like batlemage.

veteran
veteran
Sandals, shoes, boots ... that's a good idea !
... Like in DD (!!) and give them an extra "boost" for all the Mages and give them also a "magical look" wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Boost, schmoost. I bet what they teach in "Robes Enchanting 101" applies just fine to enchanting of pants.

It would be nice if shoes were split from leggings. Frankly, I still miss the Morrowind armor setup where you could wear a shirt, pants, shoes/boots, greaves, cuirass, left and right pauldrons, left and right gloves and a helm, if you so desired. You could create most psychedelic combinations of mismatched, asymmetrical armor...

"We shall not fear the coming of the shadow of death."
old hand
old hand
Doubt Larian will add any more content, now it is just polishing and prepping for release. Though hopefully they can do this for Divinity 3. I'd like to seep long flowing capes and robes in the next game. Also battle mage type staves similar to what Zandelore wielded in DD. Flails and spears/pikes were good weapons too.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 17/07/10 06:13 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard