Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lancet Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
These are just random funny and/or nonsensical observations about things in D2 I've noticed.

Arben's Sword is a 2H sword, yet Arben's Shield is...a shield. What sort of behemoth WAS this guy to use a 2H sword AND shield, especially since from his comments, it's clear he actively used both when dragon-hunting?

The Elite Army armor pieces' bright gold and purple design clash horribly with every other piece of armor in the entire game.

The Static Charge, Damage, and Magic Damage Aura enchantments are compatible with the Confusion and Destruction skills.

Maxos was a major dick. Reading some books about him, he developed a spell to soul-forge someone with an inanimate object, damning them to an eternity worse than the normal ghosts he damned in his temple.

For that matter, EVERYONE is a dick. I can count the number of NPCs with any real story relevance who aren't selfish, hateful, or just plain rude and spiteful on one hand. EVERYONE... Dragon Slayers, New Order, Champions of Aleroth, Black Ring (obviously), Maxos, Lord Lovis, Amdusias, most of the ghosts in Maxos Temple, and so forth. Even YOU.

With his jewelry, Ragon will be the belle of the ball.

It boggles my mind that time after time, DRAGON SLAYERS are taken aback at your ability to MINDREAD them. And these aren't just trainees or initiates that haven't been to Farglow. I looked at their character model. They have the silver eyes.

I tried single handed weapon for a while when testing the other four Battle Tower servants (for my guide). It's damage output compared to dual wielding at the same skill level (with weapons of comparable power) was HORRIBLE. Maybe sword+shield and 2H weapons are better, but that foray was enough to dispel any second thoughts I had on my precious dual wielding.

Dragon Commanders should be banned from healing magic. Forever.

For that matter, what's the point of the anti-dragon barriers in the Fjords? I can understand the slayer camp using it on principle, but why Champion Harbor and High Hall? It's clear that Damian's dragon forces are immune to the barriers, as often his dragon forces fly around INSIDE the field in the flying fortresses. The only remaining dragon is you, which is something I would assume these places would know. And even if they don't, Talana was hardly evil, and it's obvious the Champions and New Order are not as prejudiced as the Slayers would like them to be.

The Hermit on Sentinel Island is some of my favorite voice acting in the game. It's just so obvious the guy doing the lines absolutely LOVED acting so crazy and deranged.

The shipwreck colony on Sentinel Island seems to be some hodgepodge of European constituents. Hermosa seems vaguely Spanish in accent. Radcliff is obviously a drunk Irishman, and Henry the chef is an arrogant Frenchman.

Why exactly did Island choose Jonelath and Igor? Surely there were more reliable Necromancers (such as Naberius?) that not only weren't as bloodthirsty, sadistic, and insane, but also DIDN'T WORK FOR THE ENEMY prior to your employ?

And finally...
People love to avoid doing a difficult task by choosing one monumentally harder. Sassan decides that, instead of fight Laiken himself, it would be best to SUMMON A DEMON he's soul-forged to and kill IT. Surely a powerful necromancer and mage is still easier than a DEMON. And you end up fighting BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. She didn't think that one through.

For that matter, Damian. I get he's a powerful magic soldier-type guy, and apparently has the soul of some demon or devil inside him, but... you can't honestly tell me that collecting the items and information needed to unlock the door to the afterlife, something only ONE person has ever done in recorded history, and who vanished into that dimension and was never heard from again, is easier than taking down even the entire ARMY of the Damned One. Which you do anyways, if the flying fortresses are any indication.

So basically, you summon a demon to kill in lieu of just killing the (still human) necromancer, and end up fighting both at once. Then you try to the unlock a door to the afterlife so you can bring back to life a powerful sorceress, aligned with the very dark force you're trying to stop, in lieu of destroying the Black Ring themselves, WHICH YOU DO ANYWAYS.

I always imagine my character exclaiming THIS IS A GREAT IDEA! every time Sassan or Zandalor starts spinning the tangled webs that are your story quests.

Last edited by Lancet; 09/08/10 08:28 AM.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Well, I've been playing a whole week and still only just entered the Maxos Temple (love exploring the map :)), so I'm not familiar with alot of the names/places, but I did find Lovis pretty cool and very well voiced.

I guess alot of the choices are just down to gameplay mechanics and the characters you mention (colony) are just for variety, I really think the games regional accents are VERY well done.

I think any game can be picked apart in the same manner, if you set your mind to it, an interesting read though. smile

veteran
veteran
Why is Sassan the merchant neutral towards you after you restored her to life and killed Laiken?

The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?
~Jeremy Bentham
veteran
veteran
Oh yeah, and do you know why Raze is so cold? Because he is named after a forum member who is from Canada.

~Jeremy Bentham
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Cleglaw
Oh yeah, and do you know why Raze is so cold? Because he is named after a forum member who is from Canada.

Figure that out
He deserve that
I even asked Larrian few times to make him Moderator or something
RAZE is RULEZ

ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
veteran
veteran
He absolutely deserves it.

~Jeremy Bentham
Support
Support

Sassan's gratitude to you may be tempered by the fact that she is stuck as a servant again (stationed in your bedchamber, no less), apparently unable to leave the battle tower (or she feels obligated to stay and help in order to repay her debt).

Complaining about the cold is a strangely common phenomenon in Canadian winters, mostly with people who forgot what happened the previous winter, and who don't know how to dress properly. I've had to explain to many people that it wasn't cold outside because it was snowing (if it was cold, there wouldn't be enough moisture in the air to be able to snow), etc. Some places in Canada school gets canceled if it hits -40C, and some places you play outside for an hour waiting for the bus, because the driver had to plug in the second block heater for awhile in order to get it started.

Thanks, Raven.rpg and Cleglaw. I'll put you down as references on my resume...

journeyman
journeyman
Stationed in MY bedchamber, and yet she does not do anything to relieve a Dragon Knights daily stresses, I meen come on I JUST BROUGHT YOU BACK FROM THE DEAD YOU UNGRATEFUL......

journeyman
journeyman
BTW.... The winters here aren't that cold... I'd rather have the cold winters all year compared to this humid *ss summer!!!!

Lancet Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I can fire an Explosive Arrow at an enemy group, then immediately use Rush Attack, and get there a split second before the arrow does. Whirlwind mops up any survivors.

I just found my outpacing of an arrow rather funny.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard