Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#418812 11/08/10 12:18 PM
Viper Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Since i die sometimes after a long period of playing and forgetting to save, I thought that an autosave every X minutes would come in handy. the X has to be adjustable off course and the enabling of the autosave feature should also be adjustable.

I'd love it that my game would save every 5 minutes.

imho this is a minor adjustment to the game code (since the game already autosaves at certain keypoints) and could easily be provided to us with a patch.

this would be offcourse a save'slot' next to the normal autosave slot so that we don't get stuck in a certain area

I just hope some larian responds to this (preferably confirming this upcoming autosave :))

Last edited by Viper; 11/08/10 12:21 PM.

Viper
addict
addict
I actually feel the opposite: I want a way to turn autosaves off entirely. I'm compulsive enough about saving that all they do is get in the way, since they are always at the top of the save list, and the only way to delete them is by exiting the game and going into my Xbox's memory option to manually delete it (with no way of knowing WHICH save is the autosave besides knowing the timestamp).

It would be nice if they could implement both our ideas.

old hand
old hand
The auto save only happens during certain events such as quests. It happens mostly in the beginning of the game.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
stranger
stranger
i agree with Viper however I've tend to make it habbit to save when I'm going to do something reckless or pre planning out a huge battle, or even doing quests, so that if I do a path that I don't like Or I die I have that save right befor the event of death and can change the out come, I also have my auto pause set to 40% health cause with me if it's getting that low something is wrong and I need to replan my situation on the spot

"So you take an Apple and a Pineapple, smash them together, and you get a 'Pin-apple' My dear sir!"
Warning, Spoiler:
Behold the glory of Lord Pin-apple peasant! \:D
Viper Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
It's not only when you plan on doing sth; sometimes you just run into some enemies that are waaaay too tough and you die anyway and you forgot to save some time.

I had this when I entered a building near the old mine.

anyway, I'd just like it to be in the game with the option to turn it on/off and with the possibility to enter when it has to save (every x minutes or so)

Viper
stranger
stranger
In the loading screens you can sometime see "Save frequently" or something in that type... It's normal ! A long time ago... Where is the flashback? Nevermind, a long time ago *flashback* ... Ok... So, a long time ago "saves" was... A word, nothing more. The games worked with passwords and that's all. After that the gamers, who never asked for nothing, gain a new ability: The savegaming. With that they gained the ability to fight the time himself! Save, load, load, save... Nothing was able to stop the players and they used to have that power... But the auto-save appear after some years... The game himself did what the player is supposed to do and... The players come to ask for more, more and more...

That's the true history of "Why the actuals games are so easy and the olds games so hards?"
The game didn't save for you? That's not a problem you know, you can save by yourself, when you want, for the reason you want. If you think you're going to die runaway, save, try to survive and load again... Just like "the sands of time" in Prince of Persia but with no limitations. Cool no? Yeah it's the ultimate power of time's manipulation gained by the old gamers for the new generation... And you know... You REALLY don't want to go back to the passwords era. Really not.

A little add: I hate when games save just before I die... I can load my own death again and again and... I can't just tell "I'll load my own save." Because I always want to save myself even if it's impossible.

(A serious message is hide between all thats lines... But all thats lines are not totally serious... So all together we'll laugh... 1... 2... 3... No nevermind, I can make myself laugh...)

Last edited by Blanthirsgon; 18/08/10 07:05 AM.

Come from the flames, burn in the fame.
apprentice
apprentice
I agree that better quicksaving and autosaving would be nice.

But, probably not going to happen: there are more important uses of programmer time.

So, for PC users at least, it's better to do it as a third party tool.

As a first step, timebased quicksaving should be easy enough with an autohotkey script (or AutoIT, or whatever your favorite macroing languages is) that triggers every few minutes to hit F9 (well, whatever key you map it to, since it's not mapped by default).

Something like (tested, seems to work):
Code
#singleinstance force
; 300,000 usecs = 300 secs = 5 mins.
msBetweenSaves := 30000
TimerActive := 0

; Wait 'til we're playing.
SetTitleMatchMode 3
WinWaitActive, Divinity2
; Then set the timer.
SetTimer AutoSaveFunction, % msBetweenSaves

; When the timer fires...
AutoSaveFunction:
{
    ; If we are still playing, send the "quicksave" keystroke
    IfWinActive Divinity2
    {
        ; Send the "quicksave" keystroke,
        send {F8}
    }    
    ; Otherwise, wait until we are playing again.
    IfWinNotActive Divinity2
    {
        WinWaitActive, Divinity2
    }
    ; Either way, restart the timer.
    SetTimer AutoSaveFunction, % msBetweenSaves
}

;Alt-F11 and Alt-F12 just in case the script messes up in some bad way.
!F11::reload
!F12::exitapp

You could also make it do timebased REAL saves, but that's trickier, because the save screen doesn't have any keys that work on it, so you need to control the mouse. So your script would need to hit F6 (or whatever you have "open save screen" remapped to), then click the mouse near the top of the list, then click the "save" button. You'd also need to pause before clicking, while it displayed the "finding saves" popup. And to make it work in all resolutions, you'd need to do it as a percentage of screen width (50%) and height (I dunno), rather than actual X/Y coords.

And if you're doing all that, might as well remap the quicksave button to make real saves too, as well as just saving over the quicksave slot (doing both so that quickloading still works) smile

Game Designer - ThudGame.com
Technical Director - MorganAlley.com
Associate Producer - PayneAndRedemption.com
QA Lead - Furcadia.com

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard