Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
enthusiast
enthusiast
I completely agree with FOVTODKS patch. Would be great!

"The Frenglais does déjà exist. Many gens are parling this langue" Barta
old hand
old hand
I have no problem with the patch either. I will most likely play ED from scratch again upon getting FoV, anyway.

-Elena- Offline OP
OP Offline
Wauw, you really made my day smile

If it's possible to make such a patch, I'd be one very happy customer! Thanks for all the effort and warm greetings from the Netherlands for you and the whole team.

veteran
veteran
How much the FoV-to-DKS patch is going to cost?

old hand
old hand
Hmmmm... I didn't realize we could charge for it, I was thinking we'd offer it for free. Thanks for that idea Kein, I'll think about it over the weekend wink

stranger
stranger
Another vote for the ED+FoV -> DKS patch from me

if you're compiling a list that is 0_o

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Lar_q

So, what we could do is the following - we can provide a FOVTODKS patch which will transform ED+FOV into DKS, though if you apply it, you will not be able to load any of your old savegames. If that's what you'd like to have, knowing that your ED savegames will not work anymore, we can try to figure something out to make that a reality. It's also going to be a pretty big patch because really a lot of assets change.

Yes, yes, yes - I'm all for this idea. smile

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Kein

As if the world needs more DLC...
*eyeroll*

DLC seems to be the main reason for companies to re-release games a year or so later w/ Original Game + Any Official Expansions (if there are any) + ALL Official DLC Content ever released.

I'm looking at 2K, Bioware and EA here...
i.e. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - Ultimate Edition for consoles;
Fallout 3: GOTY Edition on all platforms;
planned upcoming Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Editions for all platforms;
AND upcoming planned Borderlands: GOTY Editions for all platforms.

Last edited by MysterD; 10/09/10 10:31 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by MysterD

*eyeroll*

DLC seems to be the main reason for companies to re-release games a year or so later w/ Original Game + Any Official Expansions (if there are any) + ALL Official DLC Content ever released.

Yeah, but that's nothing new. PC game expansions have been commonplace for years, as have "Gold," "Complete" and "Ultimate" editions. The only difference now is that there seems to be more DLC per game. So, anyone gaming on the PC for the last decade probably should have learned that a little patience (or sometimes a lot of patience as with the DKS) always pays off. A year or two after initial release you might get a polished, patched, complete game. But before then?

Last edited by flixerflax; 11/09/10 02:22 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by flixerflax

*eyeroll*

Yeah, but that's nothing new. PC game expansions have been commonplace for years, as have "Gold," "Complete" and "Ultimate" editions. The only difference now is that there seems to be more DLC per game. So, anyone gaming on the PC for the last decade probably should have learned that a little patience (or sometimes a lot of patience as with the DKS) always pays off. A year or two after initial release you might get a polished, patched, complete game. But before then?

Oh, I've been gaming on the PC since the mid-90's - since Duke Nukem 3D and Quake were the big deal on the PC. smile

The thing is, it's hard to keep up w/ all the DLC - since they hardly ever get released on disc or since some of them just don't wind up on disc. You could always get full-fledged expansion boxes, if you bought the original game. You never had this feeling of "Geez, I could wind up missing some content - so I'll have to buy Re-Release Box Later." Expansions wern't shoe-horned in "I have to buy-to-download directly from the company, in some cases where often the DRM just for the download version of the DLC might involve install limits or online checks," while the disc versions of the DLC's usually avoid the nasty-DRM trap (i.e. see NWN: Kingmaker DLC package box vs. NWN Premium Content online for DRM differences; Borderlands DLC's on disc vs. Borderlands DLC's directly through Gearbox's buy-to-download store vs. Steam version).

Borderlands (Retail) hasn't had DLC #3 put on disc, though we know DLC #4 is coming. I'd like to see DLC #3 and 4 packaged on disc together. Probably won't bee, since BL: GOTY EDition is coming in October w/ Borderlands + All 4 DLC's (so far). Borderlands (Steam version), they're easy enough to get the DLC's to buy-to-download - plus, Steam always puts games and DLC on sale; a lot of companies directly don't put DLC on sale at reduced prices. Fallout 3 never had DLC #5 released on disc, either - only the two double packs were released, leaving gamers to either have to get DLC #5 directly through G4WL or buy FO3: GOTY Edition. I'm missing all five FO3 DLC's, so I'll eventually wind-up buying FO3: GOTY, at some point in time. I'm missing all of DAO's DLC's, pretty much - from Warden's Keep up to Witch Hunt. I'm missing all the Mass Effect 2 DLC's that did NOT come w/ The Cerberus Network.

I think I might just wind up hardly buying Vanilla version of ANY game anymore. This ain't like the old days, where you could buy vanilla version and then every expansion as you go along from retail and be completely up-to-date w/ everything, since the invention of especially DLC-mania and re-release mania exploded.

Last edited by MysterD; 11/09/10 02:30 PM.
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by flixerflax
So, anyone gaming on the PC for the last decade probably should have learned that a little patience (or sometimes a lot of patience as with the DKS) always pays off. A year or two after initial release you might get a polished, patched, complete game. But before then?

Golden rule

veteran
veteran
[...]little patience[...]

[...]A year or two after[...]

Ooookaaaaaaaay.

Last edited by Kein; 11/09/10 06:01 PM.
addict
addict
Oh, I've been gaming on the PC since the mid-90's - since Duke Nukem 3D and Quake were the big deal on the PC.

Oh yeah, I know you're a seasoned gamer, no doubt. bow

[...]little patience[...]

[...]A year or two after[...]

Ooookaaaaaaaay.

Well, I don't know your age, and I'm not particularly old, but at my age a year goes by in a moment. It's easy enough for me to fill up that space by being occupied with other things, and other games.

It seems like yesterday I was making a dragon in MS Paint because ED was about to be released. I know very well that 2011 will soon be here and fly on by, as will the DKS.

I'm not saying it should be this way. Ideally games would be fully developed, bug free, and released on time, one time. We would get instant gratification we feel entitled to in the 21st century rather than getting constantly pushed back release dates. I'm just saying I automatically build-in up to a year extra to account for all the extra work that usually needs to be done. This helps me avoid all the frustration/anger/unpleasantness that you seem to be afflicted with. opa

Last edited by flixerflax; 11/09/10 10:43 PM.
G
stranger
stranger
G
Hmmmm... I didn't realize we could charge for it, I was thinking we'd offer it for free. Thanks for that idea Kein, I'll think about it over the weekend wink

Such a patch would indeed be the best way out of this PR problem. Only you can say if it would be economically feasible though.

Incompatible savegames wouldn't be much of a problem IMHO. Just add another pop-up during installation to make sure the user understands what's going on. And while you're at it offer to move the old savegames to another place, etc.

What you (pl.) possibly could successfully communicate is that you would like to limit the patch to registered users. A list of registered users is valuable for people who want to sell another RPG. wink Of course I don't know what kind of infrastructure would be required for this.

old hand
old hand
I'd like to have D2: ED patched to be DKS. If it requires playing threw Divinity 2 ED again, so be it. I'll do it! smile

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
addict
addict
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
I'd like to have D2: ED patched to be DKS. If it requires playing threw Divinity 2 ED again, so be it. I'll do it! smile

Agreed.

I mean, it'd be nice for ED Original and ED Remastered saves to be compatible - but, I don't expect insane miracles, when there is THAT kind of MAJOR overhaul that Sven has been talking about here from ED Original to ED Remastered.

Plus, I'm sure some gamers would like to play through ED Original and ED Remastered just to see all the major changes made to the game, anyways.

And from what we're reading - especially w/ all the balancing changes and technical performance changes - it'll probably be worth it, for fans to see how much this game will likely be improved.

I'd like to get through ED Original, but ugh - I don't know, Fjords is REALLY HARD, at times - especially when compared to the first half of the game.

Last edited by MysterD; 12/09/10 01:18 PM.
old hand
old hand
If Larian doesn't do this, there will be many unhappy gamers. I'm talking serious depressions arising.

Such as people buying 5gallon (guess about 15 liter) ice cream container and eat the whole thing while watching bad romance tv shows all night and crying. This is serious for anyone that is lactose intolerant and has work the next morning.

The Fjords were a real pain in the ass, lots of saving and loading there. This is an example of why I'd really like to have the remastered version.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
old hand
old hand
The fjords specifically have gotten a big treatment in terms of monster placement and we also got rid of most of those annoying shield puzzles.

veteran
veteran
I actually have 2 characters which I had gotten to the Battle Tower or so and stopped playing because I was waiting for the patch to alter the monster balance (specifically to make the fjords/flying fortresses more challenging after you hit level 30 or so), so I find it a bit funny that I can't do that.

Oh well, it'll probably be worth it to start over.

veteran
veteran
and we also got rid of most of those annoying shield puzzles.

Huh?
And this supposed to make game... better?

Looks like I really don't understand something.

Last edited by Kein; 13/09/10 06:06 PM.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard