Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
stranger
stranger
I have to say, if you want 0 damage from enemies.. just set the game to easy tbh. :x

I've noticed that i took 0 dmg from enemies as well, but i just thought it was my kickass armor at the time, but reading all this, i realized that they were indeed 5 levels (or more) lower then my level. (and for me, easy is a setting that is never used. I always start games at normal level, otherwise, you can't experience how the game was meant to be.. and it would seem as if it's no challenge)

True, everyone has their own opinion about how it should be played.. and i also have an opinion..

If you use cheats, you're not a Gamer, you're just a lamer wannabe that cannot get through games using your own skill. (there, i said it.)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TrixorXD
Using your own skill
wink
I suppose you mean that using ownn skill is using my brains and learning hand-eye-coordination etc in a game ... so a game become not only entertainment, but also a thing you can "learn" an/or "train" something (new) wink

Yeah, I agree. For me gaming is NOt smash buttons the much I can and the fast I can (no competition at all) and don't "think" about moves first ... No, I like to think much about making my own strategy to survive and come to the end of a game ...

And what more is: I have learned english too and learn each day more because of this forum biggrin

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
old hand
old hand
I think the problem with the end fight of Ego Draconis was that only very specialized builds (for example, a pure warrior pumping everything in strength, vitality and skills that regain health actively or passively could easily survive - even standing in the middle of the room just hacking away), while maybe most players would spread out skills during the game making survival harder.

veteran
veteran
Okay, but in that case the game isn't well-balanced ! I find each character may have approximately the same chances to survive (a final battle)!
And Vitality (and other HP related things like Regerate skill) has for me nothing to do with a warrior (melee) character ... It's logical if each kind of character put points in Vitality, he/she has more chance(s) to survive ! wink

Just my opinion.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
old hand
old hand
But vitality is much more important for warriors than mages or rangers, though, since warriors always fight surrounded by enemies and not at a distance.

Also, specialized characters are normally always better than "jack of all trades, master of none". It's better to have 15 points in one skill, than 5 points in 3 separate skills.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by virumor
I think the problem with the end fight of Ego Draconis was that only very specialized builds (for example, a pure warrior pumping everything in strength, vitality and skills that regain health actively or passively could easily survive - even standing in the middle of the room just hacking away), while maybe most players would spread out skills during the game making survival harder.

I think that's what ended up happening with me - it's not like I chose my skills at random, but the end result was that even "easy" usually translated into "ludicrously difficult". One of my main aims when playing games like this is adventuring: exploring and interaction, in other words. While I like combat to present something of a challenge, it very quickly gets to the point where it ceases to be challenging and becomes a chore. I loved Ego Draconis overall, but the latter point was too often true of my combat experience.

Having read through the FAQs I can see a number of areas where I went wrong, but in lieu of that information I think it was a bit counterintuitive, at least considering the deleterious effects on my survivability. Although I like to get immersed in a game, I'd prefer not to have to conduct an academic study into its mechanics just to survive!

In short, hopefully any "rebalancing" will translate into a further separation of the easy, normal and hard choices - the hardcore types can have their way, while I can explore to my heart's content without being slain every few minutes!

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vometia

In short, hopefully any "rebalancing" will translate into a further separation of the easy, normal and hard choices - the hardcore types can have their way, while I can explore to my heart's content without being slain every few minutes!

Agree ! ... thanks Vometia ! wink

And an extra option (or more than one) to set "time based" platformpuzzles etc on/off (or give the time a slider-option to control the time) , no matter which difficulty the player go for. wink
Because some players have maybe problems with the time based puzzles, but no problems with hard combat and vice versa wink

stranger
stranger
I only have problems with the "jumping from platform to platform" puzzles.. since the "hero" has to jump like a moron every single time.

veteran
veteran
Now we must only wait till novembre the 5e to see and experience the difference with the jumps (and many more!!) now the Dragon Knight Saga should have a massive rebalance

wink

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Joram

And an extra option (or more than one) to set "time based" platformpuzzles etc on/off (or give the time a slider-option to control the time) , no matter which difficulty the player go for. wink
Because some players have maybe problems with the time based puzzles, but no problems with hard combat and vice versa wink

Agreed as well!

I also wish RPGs took a turn toward hybridizing with Adventure games. I mean challenge is all fine and well, but enemies with mountians of HP and hard hitting attacks in combat isnt what I consider challenging, its tedious and boring especially when every fight at the least takes 5-10 whole minutes.

I'd be up for a challenge in RPGs if it came from using your brain (combat isnt much about using your brain) in the form of puzzles and brain teasers and riddles and other Adventure game fare. Something that actually engages your brain to solve the puzzles, I'd be all for that sort of thinking persons gameplay, but having to form very specific builds just to survive in a game, or just being a wiz kid with the combat system and the numbers game from min/maxing attribute points and skills is just really silly and unsatisfying mentally, and makes me fall asleep at least in my opinion.

E
journeyman
journeyman
E
Originally Posted by VampLena

Agreed as well!

I also wish RPGs took a turn toward hybridizing with Adventure games. I mean challenge is all fine and well, but enemies with mountians of HP and hard hitting attacks in combat isnt what I consider challenging, its tedious and boring especially when every fight at the least takes 5-10 whole minutes.

I'd be up for a challenge in RPGs if it came from using your brain (combat isnt much about using your brain) in the form of puzzles and brain teasers and riddles and other Adventure game fare. Something that actually engages your brain to solve the puzzles, I'd be all for that sort of thinking persons gameplay, but having to form very specific builds just to survive in a game, or just being a wiz kid with the combat system and the numbers game from min/maxing attribute points and skills is just really silly and unsatisfying mentally, and makes me fall asleep at least in my opinion.

On the other side of the fence, a lot of people aren't used to riddles and puzzles and the like. Just look at Myst and others: Most people don't bother playing them because most of the time to figure out puzzles on your own takes HOURS. To a lot of people taking hours on a single puzzle isn't fun either, it's a bad way to lengthen game time.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
For me the game was balanced just right...very hard in many places and easy in others were i could soak in the sights.

It was the last end fight i had so much trouble with..it was sooooooo hard

must have took me 30 attempts and unmpteen saves..i really thought at one point i wouldnt be able to complete last end fight

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by virumor

Building an effective generalist is possible, though it does increase the difficulty in the early game. I posted the stats over here.

A rebalance to make higher level enemies less insanely difficult and lower levels be able to harm you would be good. It might be nice to have a good mixture of of enemy levels so there are clear 'leaders' and 'fodder/minions' when fighting groups of enemies, if the rebalance is done well.

Originally Posted by Eliirae

On the other side of the fence, a lot of people aren't used to riddles and puzzles and the like. Just look at Myst and others: Most people don't bother playing them because most of the time to figure out puzzles on your own takes HOURS. To a lot of people taking hours on a single puzzle isn't fun either, it's a bad way to lengthen game time.

I didn't play myst because the type of riddles I think (been long time since I did). I don't mind riddles and puzzels if they make since. Take CSI games I find them great and solve them easily. Myst and its successors are a poor reference. I played many puzzle game in line of myst, tex murphy comes to mind. If a riddle doesn't make sense it isn't a riddle just an endless what do I do next click click oh that worked... Myst felt that way to me, or that is what I remember feeling when I think back to those days, no logic unless you already knew everything about the game which is the opposit of what a riddle should do IMO. I never had good memory so maybe it just required me to recall where certain things were in its side scrolling environment way too much for my short attention span.

The riddles in Divinity 2, weren't complicated in the slightest, at least imo and I didn't even think of them as such. I took no time pondering were to go next to turn off those shields or waht to do to finish quests.

Insanity Is Just A Matter Of Opinion
S
S
I found Myth...rather mystifying. I hated that game, I heard it was good and I got it one day to find I couldn't complete a single puzzle.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Puzzles, riddles, and other challenges of brains and skill are okay in games that are not all about them, as long as the really challenging ones are not required to complete the main quest. After all, games that have a finish are less fun if you are unable to complete them.

veteran
veteran
There're people who love the Myst games. I play to the end Myst, Riven (Myst II) and Myst III. I find the puzzles are logic... these game are old school games, so you must write down on a pice of paper (everything) that can possible help you solve the puzzles... wink
The first games I played in my life are such games like Myst and other adventures.
From the time I discovered Divine Divinity and other RPG's later on, I love much more playing a RPG and forgot further playing adventure games ... because I love the replayability of a RPG ! Adventures have avery low or just none replayability !

For a RPG it is fun there'are some puzzle in it (but hope de dev's don't make only puzzle for making the playtime of their game longer! )
and I agree that the most difficult puzzles may NOT stand in the way of the main quest/path to complete your RPG !
The most great puzzle in Ego Draconis I found is the statue puzzle in Keara's Fortress! And you can end the game without solve that puzzle, so that's okay wink

The most great puzzle in Ego Draconis I found is the statue puzzle in Keara's Fortress! And you can end the game without solve that puzzle, so that's okay wink

Yes that was a simple straight forward puzzle. I guess writing down stuff being required in myst was its down fall for me I got it after I got used to mini maps and quest logs. Without either it felt painstaking to play wihtout the riddles. I alos couldn't play for long period of time so getting my head back into a game that required manual memory... days sometimes before I could play again... Myst was more poor design as much as too vague of riddles. IMO and I'm going on memory of long ago so...

Insanity Is Just A Matter Of Opinion
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gwenio
Puzzles, riddles, and other challenges of brains and skill are okay in games that are not all about them, as long as the really challenging ones are not required to complete the main quest. After all, games that have a finish are less fun if you are unable to complete them.
I pretty much agree. Stuff like this is best served for side quests with a nice reward at the end for completion. Nothing like a good dungeon, with a puzzle to solve and traps to avoid, with a nice (trapped) chest of loot at the end.

Originally Posted by Gwenio
Building an effective generalist is possible, though it does increase the difficulty in the early game.

Why? You can respec in Divinity 2 so you should be able to run whatever you like at the beginning, right?

Last edited by Unreal Warfare; 26/10/10 05:38 PM.

veteran
veteran
Indeed, you can unlearn all your skills in Divinity II (Ego Draconis, the DKS with Flames of Vengeance inclusive!), so no need to build instead a pure warrior or whatever!

I never build a pure Warrior/Mage/Priest/Dragon Slayer or Ranger!
I always just take the skills I like most and for sure that's always a combination of many types ...
That said: I build always a generalist and don't have problems beating the final battle AND the beginning of the game too !! wink

And I think with the massive rebalance in the DKS/FoV : it increases the FUN much more !!! laugh

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard