Originally Posted by born2beagator
Can't wait till skyrim comes out.

You finished Oblivion already, then? grin

Oh yes. took me about 10 minutes. No depth to the game whatsoever stupid

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Oh yes. took me about 10 minutes. No depth to the game whatsoever stupid

I'm suddenly reminded of those videos of how to complete the likes of Half Life 2 in about 60 seconds, or whatever it was. Insane.

I think I probably spent more time in Oblivion than anything else, perhaps around 1,500 hours... though most of that time was spent either courtesy of other people's mods or writing my own! But even unmodded it was good for a few hundred hours.

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
I think I may just start over after 30 hours of play Go back and create a Melee/Spellcaster this time. Just tried Darkfathom cave on level 19, and died countless times becuase I did not have any ranged attacks except for arrows.

Also, now I know what skills not to use as a major. Atheltics and speechcraft are useless. Gonna stick with Argonian though. Favorite race Using a female this time for spellcasting.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Yeah, they're useless: I had at least one, probably both of those as attributes with my first character, and I suspect just about everyone chooses a less than optimum skill set first time through. laugh On the other hand, some people take it too seriously and I didn't really have the patience for the likes of "power levelling" and its ilk.

You're not doing too badly to get to level 19 without too much aggravation, though: I found levels 10-15 were very tricky and up to about 20 not much better and found myself having to reach for the difficulty slider to not find myself being constantly killed due to my character not levelling as effectively as my adversaries.

Couldn't remember where Darkfathom Cave was so I had to look it up on UESP, which I guess you already know about but if not, it's quite a handy resource.

Only problem with magic as a ranged weapon is it takes its time to get to where it's going so the target's often wandered off by the time it would strike. That's a double edged sword, though, since it's also easy for you to dodge a lot of the spellcasters' intended unpleasantness! Still, I wouldn't want to go through it without having at least a moderate fireball and electrocution spell handy. smile

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Vometia
Yeah, they're useless: I had at least one, probably both of those as attributes with my first character, and I suspect just about everyone chooses a less than optimum skill set first time through. laugh On the other hand, some people take it too seriously and I didn't really have the patience for the likes of "power levelling" and its ilk.

You're not doing too badly to get to level 19 without too much aggravation, though: I found levels 10-15 were very tricky and up to about 20 not much better and found myself having to reach for the difficulty slider to not find myself being constantly killed due to my character not levelling as effectively as my adversaries.

Couldn't remember where Darkfathom Cave was so I had to look it up on UESP, which I guess you already know about but if not, it's quite a handy resource.

Only problem with magic as a ranged weapon is it takes its time to get to where it's going so the target's often wandered off by the time it would strike. That's a double edged sword, though, since it's also easy for you to dodge a lot of the spellcasters' intended unpleasantness! Still, I wouldn't want to go through it without having at least a moderate fireball and electrocution spell handy. smile

Yeah, I started over. i don't like adjusting the difficulty to get me through. I am part of the forum at uesp, under the same screenname. i started over with a female argonian and this time gave her a focus on Magic, Strength and Willpower as the primary attributes, and Blade, Block, Illusion, Destruction, Restoration, Heavey Armor, and Mysticism.

Much, much more fun playing as a mage. The fireball/run away tactic is very useful early on. Also, its amazing how useful a simple detect life spell can be.

A
veteran
veteran
A
I still don't have Oblivion.

But since Nehrim came out, I'm seriously considering buying it, now.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Yeah, I started over. i don't like adjusting the difficulty to get me through. I am part of the forum at uesp, under the same screenname. i started over with a female argonian and this time gave her a focus on Magic, Strength and Willpower as the primary attributes, and Blade, Block, Illusion, Destruction, Restoration, Heavey Armor, and Mysticism.

Much, much more fun playing as a mage. The fireball/run away tactic is very useful early on. Also, its amazing how useful a simple detect life spell can be.

I'm also on UESP, and again under the usual username, though I ran away when they asked me to do something responsible (a patroller or some such) and have been giving it a wide berth since then! I guess they won't ask again. grin

I think willpower was always one of the attributes I tended to neglect, or was at least rather uncertain about. As someone who would've liked to have spent more time doing magely things, I've been pretty damned clueless about it! Probably my main diversion from my usual approach of "wade in there and hit things a lot, then figure out archery and spellcasting when I get myself into trouble" was to use a mace instead of a sword. Which was rather entertaining, but not exactly all that different.

The "hit fast and run away" tactic is one that I've used often in Oblivion and elsewhere and it's served me well, especially dealing with very powerful but slow-moving and rather idiotic enemies like ogres; though I quickly became unstuck using that approach after adding FCOM which made some of the ogres horribly sprightly. I think I physically backed away when I saw this bloody great lump of gristle come charging towards me! And as for detect life, I wouldn't really want to play without it; second time through I waited until level 17 before trying to complete all the sigil towers to get as many transcendent (?) stones as possible, the ones with the best enchantments. Detect life was definitely one of the most useful.

As for your character, female argonians will always make me think of compulsive pilferer City Swimmer: I trust yours is rather more successful! laugh

Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer

I downloaded Nehrim a long time ago, but never got around to playing it for no good reason that I can think of offhand. I've tended to imagine it as a new world that takes FCOM's approach to Oblivion rather than Bethesda's. Which would be a good thing, at least from my perspective. I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it though: it seemed to find itself a bit of a niche a few months back but then people stopped talking about it for some reason.

J'aime le fromage.
A
veteran
veteran
A
They stopped because it wasn't released in English language, I guess.

But since it has, everyone at RPGWatch who plays it just went "wow !"

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
They stopped because it wasn't released in English language, I guess.

But since it has, everyone at RPGWatch who plays it just went "wow !"

Yeah, I remember the huge anticipation of the English language release. And then there was quite a blip of interest when it finally appeared, but then it rather disappeared from the collective consciousness. I'm not really sure why, but then again I'm not entirely sure why I haven't fired it up either. Maybe I should get round to it...

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
stranger
How about i suggest you playing these games? :3

-Torchlight
-The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
-Fallout 3
-Fallout New Vegas
-Bulletstorm
-Dragon Age
-Dragon Age 2 (I believe it is already released Hadn't played it really)
-Trine (Trine anyone? :D)
-Dead Space 1 and 2 (Oh my god Scary! Hadn't played it but i tried 1)
-Amnesia The Dark Descent (Scary also! Played for only 10 minutes xD It was scary)
-Darksiders
-The Sims 3
-Crysis 1 and 2 (Not sure about 2 think its already release or not, not sure though)
-Minecraft (I am so random. 8D)

That's all i know (for now). I hope that helps. :3

stranger
stranger

Excuse me but what is this Nehrim you are referring? What kind of game is this. If i may ask.

veteran
veteran
I believe Nehrim is an "add-on" of the game TES IV Oblivion wink

I think you can better wait till 11.11.11* and buy "TES V Skyrim" ?

* november the 11th of 2011

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
A
veteran
veteran
A
Nehrim is a completely new game - which uses Oblivion as an engine.

Therefore, it is installed like a Mod, as far as I know.

It receives very positive critics everywhere. From what I've heard of it, I can highly recommend it.

For more information look here : http://www.nehrim.de/indexEV.html

--Dilbert cartoon

veteran
veteran
Thanks for the link Alrik wink

Hmm .. I only have a copy (disk) of Oblivion for my Xbox. Fro playing Nehrim I need a copy of Oblivion ... but I'm afraid this is PC only hahaha

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
addict
addict
Well its only for PC? That is the suck mad

I'm good though. I have 150 hours in oblivion so far and I still haven't gone past the 2nd part of the main quest cool

stranger
stranger
I see. Thank you so much for the information! I really appreciated it.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
This may be a little out of the RPG element (maybe, maybe not. Not sure) But I suggest the Assassin's Creed Series.

I totally agree. I am in the last stages of Assassin's Creed 2, and I haven't had that kind of genuine feel for a recreated historic environment in any other game. They have got almost everything spot on; the environment and characters of renaissance Italy, the storyline, the finely tuned sense of humour balancing between the cynical and the whimsical. The fact that it probably isn't a genuine RPG (your decisions never actually affect the main storyline) shouldn't be held against it.

After reading about all the negative responses to the first Assassin's Creed, I never bothered to try it out, but started directly with Assassin's Creed 2. I doesn't feel like I've missed out on anything of importance for the enjoyment of the later game, although it's of course hard to say for sure.

addict
addict
You really got to try the first Assassin's creed. Screw the reviews. it was a beautiful game.

You also need to get Brotherhood. the recreation of the Papacy and Rome is amazing.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Thanks for the recommendation! I have got Brotherhood; it lies in wait in a huge box (limited edition) on top of my drawer. I am only waiting to get a new Xbox 360 Slim together with a transfer cable, before starting up with a bunch of new games that are also in the stockpile. And when I do, Brotherhood is first in line. I'm really looking forward to visting 15th century Rome - from the rooftops, no less! -, and that Rodrigo Borgia* is one delicious arch-enemy to "meet again".

"Where circumstances are now entirely on mine/his/the Pope's side", etc.

The reason I'm going to get an Xbox Slim is that once I got my Xbox online, and thereby access to all those wonderful add-on packs, I quickly found myself running out of memory space. If I understand the technology correctly, the transfer cable should enable me to continue my saved games on the new machine, but just to be sure, I'm planning on starting up my new games on the new console. So maybe I'm over-anxious, but why take chances...?

If I find the original Assassin's Creed for a good price somewhere, I just might do as you suggest. Everyone says it's a beautiful game; the complaints I've heard of were mostly about the repetitive gameplay, and the mechanics.

About that Rodrigo Borgia, and his role in Assassin's Creed 2. I love the game and I love the plot, which weaves through actual historical figures and their respective destinies. And I have been speculating about one thing in particular: Shouldn't Rodrigo Borgia have a pretty shrewd idea of the identity of his great and worthy opponent (that is Ezio Auditore, i.e. me)? The reason why the templars arranged for Ezio's father to be executed was, if I understand it correctly, that they knew that he was an assassin. And since it was presumably a known fact that Ezio and the women of the family were not executed, and the killings of the conspirators started immediately thereafter, young Ezio would be a fairly obvious suspect. Also and if nothing else, Ezio and Rodrigo Borgia have met face to face (well, hood to hood actually, but no matter) on at least two occasions. This would pose no huge threat to either Ezio or his family if they lived in secrecy, but they don't - they reside in grand estate in the family villa in Monteriggioni. I was expecting visits from Borgia death squads within the week, but it didn't happen. It can't be the small (albeit well provisioned) soldiers' garrison in Monterriggioni that keep them away. I guess it might be the protection from Lorenzo di Medici, but I doubt it.

I know that the real reason is more likely to be game related - the game designers wanted to give Ezio a beautiful and historically founded noble's residence. Which is an excellent reason, and I am more than happy with it. But I like to speculate on these kind of things, when so much time and thought have been given to both the plot, the characters and the recreation of a historical environment!

A
veteran
veteran
A
I don't like playing an Assassin, that's why I'm never going to play it ...

--Dilbert cartoon

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard