Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by CatLover
(...)using a custom profile copied from the one of Fallout NV, game that uses the same 3D engine) playing @1080p with the level of detail setted to Extreme and v-sync off.
(...)

Unless I am wrong, That would mean the game is using the oblivion engine, Which I don't think it does. I mean, non open world, linear, and the conversations/choices just don't match smile. So, I don't think it's the same engine.

If it is the same engine and I'm wrong however, the oblivion engine suffered memory leaks since day one. The implemented work aronds over time, but a lot of the original bugs remain in the oblivion engine smile.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Ducky

Unless I am wrong, That would mean the game is using the oblivion engine, Which I don't think it does.

It is using Gamebryo, same engine like Oblivion. (and Fallout 3 etc)

At the moment I'm still playing the ED part of FoV, and removing the FPS cap with the hotfix improves a lot the performances on my PC (i5-760 @3,52 GHz, 4GB, 2x GTX 460 1GB OC, SLI enabled using a custom profile copied from the one of Fallout NV, game that uses the same 3D engine) playing @1080p with the level of detail setted to Extreme and v-sync off.

But the performances aren't uniform (45 to 250 FPS or more) and in some stages it adds a lot of stuttering, so I think that the game is still very CPU dependent.

So I set the FPS cap to 60, like it was with the first release of ED, and it pratically removed all the stuttering.

However the performances with FoV, compared to the original ED, are similar and there are still some problems ereditated from the previous edition and caused, I think, by some memory leaks.
It happens for examples that sometimes in some particulary parts of the map the FPS drop to half without any reason, and only leaving and then returning in that place resolves the problem.

Hmm I`ll try the Fallout NV profile settings, I`m playing with framerate unlocked atm and just SLI forced to AFR2 without any compatibility modes. Tried STALKER and Oblivion comp but that didn`t really work out.

Last edited by koji; 14/11/10 10:35 AM.

Lacho Calad! Drego Morn!
apprentice
apprentice
I use the settings of the Fallout NV profile because Gamebryo engine was updated since the release of Oblivion.
However it works only with the updated version of the game (1.3 and 1.4), with the 1.0 there aren't any improvements.

stranger
stranger
I use the settings of the Fallout NV profile because Gamebryo engine was updated since the release of Oblivion.
However it works only with the updated version of the game (1.3 and 1.4), with the 1.0 there aren't any improvements.

Yeah it seems to run the smoothest out of all the profiles and comp modes I tried, thx!

Can`t get AA to stick with that AA comp mode though but with AA enabled it runs like a dog on my rig anyway.

Last edited by koji; 14/11/10 11:03 AM.

Lacho Calad! Drego Morn!
J
stranger
stranger
J

Darn it! Not the oblivion engine. It suuuuuuuuucks, and it sucked for Fallout 3 also.

I know some people cannot tell the 'difference' in performance and not everyone will experience noticable performance issues, but I have had nothing but bad luck with this damn oblivion engine. It was 'ok' for Oblivion (but the game was riddled with bugs, even years later), and teriible, TERRIBLE for Fallout 3 - for so many peoples rigs the game simply would not work at all, it would stutter till kingdom come and it was Never fixed.

Its a sub-par engine and has cost a couple hundred of my hard-earned dollars, I wish so bad they would stop using it.

That being said, I still dont see anyone fixing the HDR creating black-screen and no HDR creating everything translucent on extreme settings, which still prevents me from playing.

Back to framerate for a moment, there is no way everyones brain refreshes images at the Exact same rate, there must be minor differences from one person to another. All it would take was say, 5 more or less 'frames' per second for my brain and id be complaining where others do not. Just a wild ass theory for y'all. For sure I can say I have never experienced dizziness or disorientation in a 3d game or FPS.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by koji

Yeah it seems to run the smoothest out of all the profiles and comp modes I tried, thx!

Can`t get AA to stick with that AA comp mode though but with AA enabled it runs like a dog on my rig anyway.

Well, all my tests to enable AA were a failure...

P.S.: I corrected my original post, I did some very big grammatical errors! laugh

Last edited by CatLover; 14/11/10 11:17 AM.
stranger
stranger

Well, all my tests to enable AA were a failure...

Yeah I`ve given up on forcing that on. Always a PITA AA forcing with SLI...

Lacho Calad! Drego Morn!
J
stranger
stranger
J

This, at least how it is written, is simply not possible, and making inaccurate or misguided statements here is not doing anyone else any good.

Installing the hotfix does Not remove the frame rate cap. You have to do it manually afterwards, which you do not mention doing. Plus, the hotfix itself does not address anything related to stuttering or frame rate, as per the notes straight from the hotfix.

apprentice
apprentice
Infact it's an hotfix, made to permit to edit the FPS cap, not a proper patch. wink
As stated by Lar_q, with the first patch we will be able to change these settings from the gui.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Nevermind, even the forum is not working correctly. This post was a reply to a very specific post from earlier. Instead, it tagged it as a response to a post by the same author, made much later on.

I'm out of here because these issues are never going to be fixed. People on the forums who have no issues are giving random advice and misinformation, or simply standing up for the game, and it will ultimately do exactly what happened in Fallout 3 - prevent people with serious issues from getting them resolved.

General comment for everyone - we are not interested in hearing from people who have not experienced any issues, unless we ask. This is a technical problems forum for people who are actually experiencing issues. Just because the game happens to run correctly for you does not automatically make you tech support.

Let me give you an example of what happens all the time in these situations. The game is broken for me and works for you. You spent 50 hours in the past with Fallout 3 tweaking settings and managed to fix issues which you completely assume to be the same or similar to what you read here. So instead of the conversation focusing on the developers doing investigation and possible other root causes, we start to focus and play around with your ideas - it leads the troubleshooting off on a completely different path which you perceive to be relevant, but in fact could be completely irrelevant to this specific game. Your impromptu tech support also takes pressure and ownership off the development team to look into these issues (they know the game better than you do, even if you may not be convinced of that).

When the next buggy game comes out that never really gets resolved, I will be back on the forums trying to get the same point through again. In the meantime, enjoy! I'll check back in like two weeks or something.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I have a lot of trouble with the Gamebryoengine too. At first by Oblivion, than Fallout and now at this game. Is there someone else who have problems to remove the FPS cup even with the hotfix. I tried several times to change parameters but nothing change. Need some help.

U
stranger
stranger
U
I read the first couple pages, and thought I'd chime in.

I played through original Divinity II as well as the first Divine Divinity and was checking on this forum to see if this remastered version would have AA.

I was very disapointed in Divinity II's lack of AA. I did play through it, and while it may not be the biggest issue, I don't quite understand why so many RPG's these days still don't use AA.

While checking on the AA issue, I find a HUGE issue for me. 30 FPS is NOT acceptable. There is no way on earth I will buy a game with a 30 FPS cap. I should reclarify. There is NO way I'd play an over the shoulder point of view, or 1st person view game with anything less than 40 FPS.

It's not about being a constant 30 FPS either. It has a lot to do with a combination of 30 FPS and your view point with a mouse being in constant motion. Consoles don't have the issue because you don't have a free moving mouse adjusting your view point. If the height of your view is constant, the issue does not exist.

Every game of this nature that runs below 40 FPS gives me motion sickness. It gives other people eye strain. While a lot of people may not notice these things, to those of us who are effected, it is a big deal.

I will not be buying your video game now. It's a shame.

Last edited by Uzael36; 16/11/10 08:31 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Uzael36
I read the first couple pages, and thought I'd chime in.

I played through original Divinity II as well as the first Divine Divinity and was checking on this forum to see if this remastered version would have AA.

I was very disapointed in Divinity II's lack of AA. I did play through it, and while it may not be the biggest issue, I don't quite understand why so many RPG's these days still don't use AA.

While checking on the AA issue, I find a HUGE issue for me. 30 FPS is NOT acceptable. There is no way on earth I will buy a game with a 30 FPS cap. I should reclarify. There is NO way I'd play an over the shoulder point of view, or 1st person view game with anything less than 40 FPS.

It's not about being a constant 30 FPS either. It has a lot to do with a combination of 30 FPS and your view point with a mouse being in constant motion. Consoles don't have the issue because you don't have a free moving mouse adjusting your view point. If the height of your view is constant, the issue does not exist.

Every game of this nature that runs below 40 FPS gives me motion sickness. It gives other people eye strain. While a lot of people may not notice these things, to those of us who are effected, it is a big deal.

I will not be buying your video game now. It's a shame.

They did a hotfix that allows the frame rate to be unlocked.

D
DiceDuP Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Well, as the OP of this thread i'd like to thank Larian for giving us this hotfix. I now have the game again on Steam and i'm achieving some nicer framerates and can play again. Good job to all who complained along with me - It's great (and rare) for a game developer to acknowledge and act so quickly to a problem these days.

To all those who said there would be no difference between 30 and 60, and who are now enjoying the higher frame rate - :P

Last edited by DiceDuP; 17/11/10 10:23 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
I bought this game off steam during it's initial release on pure impulse.

I saw the screenshots and I played Divine Divinity a long time ago. I enjoyed it so I decided to get this game. The value sounded great, get Eco Draconis with updated graphics and the new Dragon Knight Saga for $40.

Unfortunately I just cannot stand this stutter...It gives me a headache. The game seems promising enough but I have not gotten past the initial area. At first I thought it was my rig until I started researching the problems people were having with this game.

It truly is a shame, I honestly wished you guys would've done more testing before release. Saying "We didn't think it would bother so many people." is ridiculous, the stutter is immediately obvious. To me it's most obvious when I'm running, the terrain stutters. It's not a graphical stutter, the stutter is almost smooth. To me right now this game is broken and unplayable. I payed $40 to participate in a Beta test.

I'm thoroughly disappointed and to be honest this experience will effect my future purchasing decisions for games made by Larian Studios, at least within the first 6 months. (Which also means paying premium "New Game" price)

I will check back periodically in hopes of an official patch that fixes the stutter.

My Rig Specs (I'm running on mostly High, around 75% quality not close to max)

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0 Ghz Black Edition
4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR 2 1066 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD4890 1GB GDDR5 VRAM Overclocked Edition

I'm thoroughly convinced that this stutter is not caused by my hardware. Again, I reemphasize my opinion that Larian Studios should have done much more testing/polishing before releasing this product.

H
stranger
stranger
H
The best you can do right now is using these settings (config.xml)
<LockStepMode>1</LockStepMode>
<MaxEngineFPS>60</MaxEngineFPS>

and if you want to kill the vegetation to gain some fps (globalswitches.xml)
LoadVegetation="0"

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Having played the original version for quite some time before I got sick of it, I can PROMISE YOU, that the 30FPS Lock is SIGNIFICANTLY better than without it. You think this stuttering is bad? It pales in comparison to how bad it used to be before they added this cap. I'm quite grateful they added the cap. Before, I couldn't get a steady visual at lowest OR highest settings, or anywhere in between. Now, while it's SLIGHTLY choppy, it's no where near "unplayable".

I'm sorry, you can say whatever you want about me saying this, but if you consider a 30FPS lock "unplayable", you need to play games with much lower FPSes, and get a grip. Look up the meaning of "unplayable", because a 30FPS lock isn't remotely near the correct explanation. There's nothing unplayable about it.

While I must say I wish the game was completely smooth, it's a gigantic improvement over what it used to be. Play games with 15FPS, or worse, and you'll truly know the meaning of unplayable.

Besides, last I checked, the eye can only process something like 35 FPS anyway, so I don't see the big deal. Yeah, it's slightly stuttery, however think about how worse it could be.

U
stranger
stranger
U
Originally Posted by Polantaris
Having played the original version for quite some time before I got sick of it, I can PROMISE YOU, that the 30FPS Lock is SIGNIFICANTLY better than without it. You think this stuttering is bad? It pales in comparison to how bad it used to be before they added this cap. I'm quite grateful they added the cap. Before, I couldn't get a steady visual at lowest OR highest settings, or anywhere in between. Now, while it's SLIGHTLY choppy, it's no where near "unplayable".

I'm sorry, you can say whatever you want about me saying this, but if you consider a 30FPS lock "unplayable", you need to play games with much lower FPSes, and get a grip. Look up the meaning of "unplayable", because a 30FPS lock isn't remotely near the correct explanation. There's nothing unplayable about it.

While I must say I wish the game was completely smooth, it's a gigantic improvement over what it used to be. Play games with 15FPS, or worse, and you'll truly know the meaning of unplayable.

Besides, last I checked, the eye can only process something like 35 FPS anyway, so I don't see the big deal. Yeah, it's slightly stuttery, however think about how worse it could be.

I'll assume 1 or 2 things here; either you play with a controller or keyboard turn, or you just happen to have a very strong constitution and you never get motion sickness.

If you don't use the mouse to turn and aim, then just realize that it's very different when played this way. If you do, consider yourself lucky.

Many people, myself included, get motion sickness with mouse aiming when the FPS are below 40. Even at 40 I'd have to limit myself to short periods of time. At 50+ I can play a game over an hour when using mouse turning/aiming. This is why I have a very powerful computer, so I can maintain over 40 FPS on any game I play.

It is unplayable when you find yourself having to throw up or go lay down for a while due to playing a video game over 30 mins.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm saying it's unplayable for me and others who experience the same issues I do.

Last edited by Uzael36; 18/11/10 08:10 AM. Reason: Clarification
U
stranger
stranger
U
As far as how many FPS the human eye can notice, you should read this: http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm
I assure you, it's over 30 FPS.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
I'll assume 1 or 2 things here; either you play with a controller or keyboard turn, or you just happen to have a very strong constitution and you never get motion sickness.

If you don't use the mouse to turn and aim, then just realize that it's very different when played this way. If you do, consider yourself lucky.

I don't use a controller nor keyboard turn. I've used a Mouse to control my camera on every game on my PC since Doom added Mouse support.

Many people, myself included, get motion sickness with mouse aiming when the FPS are below 40. Even at 40 I'd have to limit myself to short periods of time. At 50+ I can play a game over an hour when using mouse turning/aiming. This is why I have a very powerful computer, so I can maintain over 40 FPS on any game I play.

If you're getting sick at 40 or lower, you'll get sick at 41 or higher. For whatever reason, it might take longer, however you'll still get sick eventually. Motion Sickness doesn't magically go away because it's slightly faster at refreshing. I know this because my brother has motion sickness issues like you explain, and it doesn't matter if the FPS is 15, 20, or 120, he gets sick if he plays it for too long. Period.

It is unplayable when you find yourself having to throw up or go lay down for a while due to playing a video game over 30 mins.

The framerate being lower doesn't magically induce sickness while it being higher doesn't. I'll buy the eye-strain deal, but not movement sickness.

Last edited by Polantaris; 18/11/10 08:07 AM.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard