Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
Just downloaded this earlier today - it's a quality downloadable RPG for $15!

Well, after playing for a few hours, I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised. The flight controls are similar to those in Kameo. The RPG elements have that European feel and flavor, though. There's a lot of customization for your character, tons of loot, an epic fantasy soundtrack, etc.

My one gripe is that the combat is turn-based - it's not a bad system, but I prefer real-time combat. Another slightly lesser gripe is that the flying animations can sometimes be a tab bit stilted. Let's just say that this game isn't perfect by any means; however, for an affordable price, and a good amount of content, I'd recommend at least checking it out.

Last edited by Libertarian; 10/11/10 09:16 PM.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
F
stranger
stranger
F
Greetings.

I gave the demo a try and was quite impressed by the production. The turn based battles were decent and seem to have potential for tactical growth later.

One thing that dissapointed me hugely and stopped me from paying my 1200msp immediately was the writing.

Usually good writing in games can make the most mundane of tasks seem interesting with the right spin on words. The writing in Faery just felt condescending. They totally missed the middle ground here and it felt like it was built only for someone playing a game for the first time. It took 3/4 seperate explanations (including the loading screen tip) to explain how to fly.

Not to mention the abundance of typos that regularly threw me out of the experience.

It's a shame because I was really looking forward to the title from previews and such. Lacks polish!

enthusiast
enthusiast
It's not bad for an arcade title.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Why arcade ?

I thought RPG weren't arcade games ?

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Support
Support

Unreal Warfare meant arcade as in Xbox Live Arcade (downloadable games, possibly from small or independent developers).

I tried the Xbox demo for a bit, but the text was a little on the small side. Theoretically I may get a bigger TV some day, or this may not be a problem in the PC version.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard