Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#425746 12/11/10 09:59 PM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A lot of people like online games(I dont say any title because I am not an advertiser)and sometimes I ask myself and now the Larian Studio about an online Divinity version?
You can level up normally play your game and at each level you can go and fight with others or even you can help others to finish their quests or even do a random battle against damian and his forces with your friends online.
Imagine 2+ Dragons unleashing their destructive force against Damian's Forces in a Epic battle or 2 differnt group of dragon knights fight vs dragon knights
Even if you want you can join damian's forces to help him against the Divine,a lot of ideas.:P

old hand
old hand
No multiplayer will ruin it every time an RPG go's Multiplayer it looses the depth in the story Sacred 2 Fable Final Fantasy XI all of them as amazing as thay are don't possess a in depth story as it was sacrificed 2 make room for multiplayer. I love loosing myself in my RPG's & working out what's in store for me next, playing multiplayer on a RPG u don't get as engrosed in the story I never want Divinity 2 go multiplayer coz that would ruin it for me.

RPG's are interactive films as you journey through the game your getting to know your charactor & the world thay live in. You bring the game 2 life by adding the emotions 2 your charactor, your charactor is the brains of the game but ur the heart. By adding multiplayer ur basicley saying hello mr/miss gamer mind if I use this knife 2 slice ur heart in 2.

An RPG is'nt just a game it's an expiriance & although some expiriences a good when shared not all are & RPG's are definatley a game that should be left 2 single player only. It's a game of discovery & u can't very well discover things if u've got someone tagging along for the ride that wants 2 do something different 2 you. Everyone playes their RPG's differentley & that is what makes it a very bad Idea how can u be the hero when ur sharing the spotlight.

Last edited by Divine Avenger; 12/11/10 10:18 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Yeah, no multiplayer for divinity, that would completely ruin the experience!

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Yes agree with you,but if we want more Divinity we have need also a great idea,yes now the game have a lot of fans around the world,for example I am from romania frown but who will buy the game for a week of play and then nothing frown I bought the game because I am a big fan I love this game but others who buy the game only for play frown the problem is here...We live in a real world and we can cheer a lot for the Larian Team nobody works for free and without sell no more divinity frown frown and I like this game too much I want to play forewer Divinity 40 or more.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm in the online camp. I believe RPGs can work well online if done right. It just needs to be done right.

journeyman
journeyman
i dont want some anus typing 'lol' or dancing in the background of a poignant cutscene in my rpg's thankyou very much.

old hand
old hand
yes but even the 360 score *BLEEP* will buy the game even if it is just for the 1000G it's still sales & there will always be those thatbuy it coz it sounds & looks good & those that buy it coz their friend reconmend it to them how do you think games like Final Fantsy got so big. all Divinity needs is support & it has us the true fans of the game that's where all great ledgends start.

Last edited by Divine Avenger; 12/11/10 10:45 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I am a fan of Online and Single Player RPG's. There are many RPG's that should never be online (DA:O, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Divinity II, Gothic, etc), but I do enjoy MMORPG's like Everquest, LotRO and a few others.

I would say keep Divinity solo and keep improving the series and building on the lore with out trying to please online and offline gamers.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I tryed to say with online mode,the Divinity keeps his storyline and everything you can lvl up kill npc like before,the only differance is in Main Menu will exist a menu where you can go online for more fun with your character,when you have a lot off characters like me 9,now i started another one.

old hand
old hand
the furthast I'd be willing 2 go is a kind of new game+ aspect 2 the game where u can keep all ur itams & equipment maybe even lvl's & start again from the beginning but this time on the 2nd playtrough the enemys get tougher 2 compansate for the increase in ur starting lvl & ur starting equipment. Multiplayer though is not something that should be in the same sentance as RPG, When a game go's MMO it stops being a RPG as far as I'm concerned the title MMORPG should be changed 2 MMO Adventure.

How could it continue 2 be an RPG when ur charactor has just lost there personality because it's being shared woth the rest of the world. Playing an RPG is like falling in love it's a journey that is taken together by the 2 people inolved U & ur hero. The journey takes u to many places & the more you see & feel the deeper you fall & the stronger your bond becomes. When u take an RPG 2 multiplayer u loose the bond the depth & the heart & that's something I'm not willing 2 see sacrificed.

Last edited by Divine Avenger; 12/11/10 11:08 PM.
Shinuz #425793 12/11/10 11:09 PM
Support
Support

D2:ED was originally going to have a multi-player component, but during development Larian dropped it as it was placing too many restrictions on quest design, etc.

veteran
veteran
What's so great and unique about this game? The long and intricate storyline, and the multiple ways to solve quests, which can result in some of all of the quest-givers dying, permanently. Neither are conductive to multiplayer.

And it's in no way at all as simple as slapping on a new menu. The game's graphics engine is optimized for single-player. Its coding is not designed to deal with lag. Designing for multiplayer and single-player are entirely different things, and multiplayer is by necessity a shallower and simpler experience.

Stabbey #425802 12/11/10 11:26 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Stabbey
multiplayer is by necessity a shallower and simpler experience.

Very well said it is a very shallow expirience

Raze #425806 12/11/10 11:28 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze

D2:ED was originally going to have a multi-player component, but during development Larian dropped it as it was placing too many restrictions on quest design, etc.

This.

I do not want the single player mode to be reduced to accomodate multiplayer (as I usually play in single player). However, if they have a level / campaign editor then it might be nice to be able to be able play modules made for multiplayer some times (separate from the main game).

old hand
old hand
An interesting tidbit might be that ED actually started out with a multiplayer - we actualy have a video of it which was prepared for a milestone. I'll see if I can find it and put it online so you can see from where we come. We dropped it because it indeed caused massive problems with the story, but that doesn't mean we haven't stopped thinking about it, and I think we've come to some new insights (which tbh I hope nobody else has had yet wink )

Lar_q #425816 13/11/10 12:00 AM
old hand
old hand
I just don't want 2 see divinity ruined by idiots that think its good 2 skip sceens & rush through the game which will happen if it go's multiplayer. The thought of such an amazing game being ruined because of the idiots that like 2 rush & not explore coz their 2 affraid of loosing themselfs in the game is not I thought I want in my head. Whoever the stupid person was that originaly thought I know why don't we put multiplayer in are RPG needs 2 be shot in my oppinion. I always put my heart into my RPG's & I'll be dambed if I'll let some inpatiant idiot break it coz thay want 2 rush through the game. I like taking my time & exploring the game I like 2 find everything do everything speak with everyone, u can't do that when u have someone tagging alone coz if there not skipping stuff ur feeling like u have 2 rush through things coz there getting bored.

Lar_q #425817 13/11/10 12:02 AM
old hand
old hand
Lar... if there ever was a multilayer game or mmorpg released. Please keep the story and locations totally separate. As much as I'd love to have an online experience from Larian, I wouldn't want the story ruined from mmorpgs. The story of an MMORPG is never completed.

Originally Posted by Divine Avenger
I just don't want 2 see divinity ruined by idiots that think its good 2 skip sceens & rush through the game which will happen if it go's multiplayer.

Runescape prevents this. Most additional lands, higher up weapons, teleport spells, armor and access to different lands require certain quests to be done. It is possible to rush, but their play realm is extremely limited. And example is that you need to kill a dragon after figuring out clues on how to find it to wear rune plate body. You need about 75% of the quests done to get full access to the realm.

I'd hope Larian would follow this idea.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 13/11/10 12:08 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
Lar... if there ever was a multilayer game or mmorpg released. Please keep the story and locations totally separate. As much as I'd love to have an online experience from Larian, I wouldn't want the story ruined from mmorpgs. The story of an MMORPG is never completed.

Originally Posted by Divine Avenger
I just don't want 2 see divinity ruined by idiots that think its good 2 skip sceens & rush through the game which will happen if it go's multiplayer.

Runescape prevents this. Most additional lands, higher up weapons, teleport spells, armor and access to different lands require certain quests to be done. It is possible to rush, but their play realm is extremely limited. And example is that you need to kill a dragon after figuring out clues on how to find it to wear rune plate body. You need about 75% of the quests done to get full access to the realm.

I'd hope Larian would follow this idea.

Not to mention anyone with a degree of sense would play with friends who they know wouldn't be prone to runing their experience either.

Last edited by Unreal Warfare; 13/11/10 01:36 AM.

old hand
old hand
it does'nt matter if ur playing with friends or not when u put multiplayer in a RPG it stops being an RPG. The bond you would have formed with your hero gets shifted over to your friend instead making the game lose it's meaning & depth. Putting multiplayer in an RPG is like ripping out it's soul, I love Final Fantasy & I've played them all but FF XI dissapointed me I tried to play it but I could'nt get over the the fact that the charactors had no personality of their own the game lost the soul that made it Final Fantasy it was like wandering round the empty shell of a dead world with a lot of ghosts haunting the damb thing.

Muliplayer does'nt belong in an RPG & every time people try 2 put multiplayer in it it always ends up a hollow shell of the game it used to be. If Divinity ever go's multiplayer I can personaly guarentee that this is one gamer that won't be buying it, I love Divinity as much as I love Final Fantasy & my heart was broken seeing what happened to XI I'll be dambed if I'm going 2 watch Divinity loose it's Heart & soul.

Last edited by Divine Avenger; 13/11/10 08:55 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
every other game and its mother going the mmo route to try and cash in, is the reason why the mmo market is saturated with failed experiments and franchises that should have stuck to what they were originally.

keep solo or youll end up closing servers down after a couple months.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard