Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
addict
addict
M
Some kind of "sidekicking" could have been nice.
That would mean I join a friends game, and only his quests are open, and I don't get XP for it.
Game would become very easy though.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Guys/Girls please Sorry for my bad english I try to explain what I really want to say with Online Divinity because I see a lot of people understand something else...
I give a very good example about what I mean so:You are playing Dragon Knight Saga,leveling,killing,monsters,finish quests like now but if you still getting borred or only want to try something else(after 4+ characters you will get I can say that from experience ofc you still playing laugh Now I started my 10 character) you simply Save your current game,then Quit to menu,choose the Multiplayer option and go online for a few epic battles against Damian,choose a map or even Your friends!
After all you leave then go choose load and play your game without any kind of interruptions or modifications.
The ingame map is to small for a real MMORPG imagine a lot of dragons(you are the last of your kind do not forget that ironic xD)still flying all around orobas fjord or on floating citadels...not funny...
In online mode(what will not affect your current game)you can try something what in normal game you cannot.

old hand
old hand
no we get what your saying but the conversation has evolved to include all types of Multiplayer & as for me I'd rather just keep playing Divinity instead of playing the multiplayer type you just mentioned. I don't like the thought of any kind of multiplayer in an RPG, ur suggetion was in Overlord & you could never find anyone playing it coz people got bored with it. As for your english it's very good actually their is no need to say sorry smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by melianos
Some kind of "sidekicking" could have been nice.
That would mean I join a friends game, and only his quests are open, and I don't get XP for it.
Game would become very easy though.

Something similar was in Fable 3 and it actually worked out ok. Wasn't great but the idea was a good one.

Lar_q #426162 14/11/10 01:13 AM
D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Lar_q
An interesting tidbit might be that ED actually started out with a multiplayer - we actualy have a video of it which was prepared for a milestone. I'll see if I can find it and put it online so you can see from where we come. We dropped it because it indeed caused massive problems with the story, but that doesn't mean we haven't stopped thinking about it, and I think we've come to some new insights (which tbh I hope nobody else has had yet wink )

When it comes to online play for RPGs I have come to realize there are competing aspects I enjoy, teaming, social, and story. A game world like divinity might be a huge success as an online world but only if you could find a way to make more of what is happening in the game the player characters story. On top of this I would really enjoy it if a lot of the 'story mode' of the gameplay was instanced so that puerile playstyles wouldn't disrupt what would have otherwise been a potentially inspiring or great moment of story telling.

For a lot of people the actual game of the MMo really begins at level cap. They laugh at and/or bulldoze through content as fast as they possibly can in order to get to that content milestone. Great for them as long as the game doesnt make the mistake of throwing only simple content at the player in order to support that particular playstyle only.

Last edited by DarkShrike; 14/11/10 01:14 AM.
veteran
veteran
An interesting tidbit might be that ED actually started out with a multiplayer

It wouldn't work with current conception and realization of Divinity2 series at all. At last. I can't imagine how. It will be boring and imcomplete.

What's about MMORPG Divinity... well, Larian atm has no such experience, so, I guess, we not gonna see such game soon.

Kein #426386 14/11/10 07:18 PM
stranger
stranger
I suppose there aren't many of you that have played Demon Souls. Now, I know the story wasn't amazing but it just goes to show the potential for online gaming. That statement about an RPG not being an RPG when it goes online is just ludicrous. This "emotional bond" you have with your character doesn't have to go away. In fact it could be deepened because now you have more to interact with. What did RPGs start as? Oh yeah, a GROUP of people constantly changing situations and dynamics. I think the new Two Worlds game has shown how online RPGs can be a success as well (even though its probably not going to sell very well). I'm having tons of fun with that one. Vindictus is a pretty good new MMO too, its not quite like any other MMO I've played, though granted I haven't played very many.

Last edited by Exeter Lux; 14/11/10 07:19 PM.
addict
addict
I've hated every online RPG I've played (MMO or not).

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Exeter Lux
I suppose there aren't many of you that have played Demon Souls. Now, I know the story wasn't amazing but it just goes to show the potential for online gaming. That statement about an RPG not being an RPG when it goes online is just ludicrous. This "emotional bond" you have with your character doesn't have to go away. In fact it could be deepened because now you have more to interact with. What did RPGs start as? Oh yeah, a GROUP of people constantly changing situations and dynamics. I think the new Two Worlds game has shown how online RPGs can be a success as well (even though its probably not going to sell very well). I'm having tons of fun with that one. Vindictus is a pretty good new MMO too, its not quite like any other MMO I've played, though granted I haven't played very many.

I agree with you.

Demons Souls was good. I liked White Knight Chronicles aswell. Both used online really well (and on a console too).

I also think games like Guild Wars do well for online multiplayer RPGs. You can do the entire game (bar specific high end farming areas which require a minimum of two people) solo wuth henchmen and heroes or play with friends. Can't say I felt any detachment from my characters in the near five years I had played it.

Last edited by Unreal Warfare; 14/11/10 07:53 PM.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Libertarian
I've hated every online RPG I've played (MMO or not).

yes same here the only one that worked even a little was fable & that was only because how can you take a game that has an achivment for kicking a chicken seriousley.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard