Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I usually prefer developing a pure mage. Divinity 2 wasn't the exception, but this ended with a rip off for me. At the arena in Hall of Echoes where you battle tough guys there's a girl named Sassan, which you can't pass AT ALL if you are a pure mage.

I had 100 INT at the end, spirit around 70 and vitality close to that. STR and DEX were at 20 tops. So right after the dialogue Sassan just shoots at you one time and you die in 3 secs without any options. You can't cast spell, can't drink potion and so on. Nothing, just die, because you followed some common rules of developing you character.

I'm pretty sure, Larian guys, you should fix this.

E
journeyman
journeyman
E
Yet tons of people seem to be going through with pure mages just fine.

old hand
old hand
the only thing I can think of is that you've not equiped enough magic protection on your armour

B
stranger
stranger
B
Your thinking way to much along the lines of what you are used to as mage/wizard in other games.
Int, Str, Dex all very usefull still so pointless when regarding warrior/hunter/wizard classes.

Its not the standard
Str = warriors
Dex = Hunter
Int = Wizard

Pay good attention to the mouse-over info you get on Conditional body/Heightened reflexes/Indomitable will
If conditional body or indomitable will are lacking your mincemeat.
Small tip though do not use charms giving those stats just use Str, Dex, Int charms to increase what you need as they will give you more bang for your buck(/charm space).

apprentice
apprentice
1 Answer to all:Enchantments/Charms-Meele resistance-Ranged Resistance
Eureka!!!Done it...To be honest I prefer the hard way like fast die than an invincible hero like warrior or ranger...To me warrior is like mage to you and I have 10 characters in game 8 are warrior kind...I am a demigod...the only way in what can I see my HP under 50% is when I take my dragon form and fight those Towers and Other flying things like dragon hunters...And of course nooo easy mode xDDD Only in Hard mode they can hurt me but I regen all in few seconds

Last edited by Amnariel; 15/11/10 09:23 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Monkeyman
I usually prefer developing a pure mage. Divinity 2 wasn't the exception, but this ended with a rip off for me. At the arena in Hall of Echoes where you battle tough guys there's a girl named Sassan, which you can't pass AT ALL if you are a pure mage.

I had 100 INT at the end, spirit around 70 and vitality close to that. STR and DEX were at 20 tops. So right after the dialogue Sassan just shoots at you one time and you die in 3 secs without any options. You can't cast spell, can't drink potion and so on. Nothing, just die, because you followed some common rules of developing you character.

I'm pretty sure, Larian guys, you should fix this.

It sounds like another variation of some strange Laiken + Razaken super-damage bug because my pure mage didn't have that much spirit and vitality, my Str and Dex were lower, and I didn't die during those fights (well, once in the next area).

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Eliirae

With mediocre mage - yes, probably, with INT/Spirit-based mage - I doubt

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Divine Avenger
the only thing I can think of is that you've not equiped enough magic protection on your armour

As a pure mage, at first I equip all stuff related to intelligence or spirit. As I said, I developed a pure mage. I can easily kill monsters 3-5 levels above mine, but hard to stand ranged or melee damage even from those below.

Last edited by Monkeyman; 15/11/10 01:31 PM.
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Bezerker
Your thinking way to much along the lines of what you are used to as mage/wizard in other games.Int, Str, Dex all very usefull still so pointless when regarding warrior/hunter/wizard classes.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. DEX and STR should NOT be vital for mage, but seems they are. because Highlighted Reflexes and other stuff depend on'em. Actually the problem is not in DEX or INT, but in ONE SHOT, which Sassan does - this is what spoils every effort. You just can't pass her without cheating, yet all the other generals are easily beatable.

Last edited by Monkeyman; 15/11/10 01:31 PM.
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Stabbey
It sounds like another variation of some strange Laiken + Razaken super-damage bug because my pure mage didn't have that much spirit and vitality, my Str and Dex were lower, and I didn't die during those fights (well, once in the next area).

Yeah, maybe. After that shot my health was like 800... 711... 560... 302... 145... dead. And I was totally crippled.

E
journeyman
journeyman
E

With mediocre mage - yes, probably, with INT/Spirit-based mage - I doubt

yet those "medicore" mages made it through just fine, while your "superior" mage can't.

Then again there is a super damage bug going around, but my point still stands.

Like everyone else said: This is not a standard "mage = all INT" game.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice

Still my "superior" mage was more than fine until this bug. So, I guess, this is not a question of balance.

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah, maybe. After that shot my health was like 800... 711... 560... 302... 145... dead. And I was totally crippled.

Dude this is EXACTLY what happened to me with Geshniz. she was 1-shotting me and it was happening exactly like you said! you might find useful the way i was able to solve my problem. The only way i got to beat her was to test how close i could get to her without her ganking me, then right before moving you use the heal spell (ideally lvl 8 to 10) and the strongest health potion you have in your posession. if youre as lucky as i was the health regen youll then get will outrun the damage she can dish out on you! once you survived the kill shot unload all the damage on her you can do as fast as you can. Good luck smile

E
journeyman
journeyman
E

Still my "superior" mage was more than fine until this bug. So, I guess, this is not a question of balance.

The "mediocre" mages were also doing just fine until the bug. It isn't a question of balance, it's just that there is a bug and it effects all classes equally, so there was no reason to bring "this class should be made like X because that's how it is in every game" into it.

That and your OP was incredibly ignorant and demanding as if you were expecting there to be absolutely no bugs of any type in the game.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
That and your OP was incredibly ignorant and demanding as if you were expecting there to be absolutely no bugs of any type in the game.

Eeer... What? Demanding? I just mentioned that there's a bug/disbalance in the game and wanted developer to look into this issue. What's demanding in it? Gosh.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Quazar12
Dude this is EXACTLY what happened to me with Geshniz. she was 1-shotting me and it was happening exactly like you said! you might find useful the way i was able to solve my problem.

Yeah, I found pretty useful way called "cheating" since I've restarted that battle gazillion times and was totally pissed hehe

Now I'm sure, that it's a bug, not a disbalance, due to lots of complaints.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard